• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

An Acoustical Experiment Involving YOU

Status
Not open for further replies.

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
I would like your help, fellow Traction Wars community members and developers, with a scientific musical experiment! Don't all jump up at once, there's plenty of space for all.

First of all, this isn't a hearing test, it is merely a university experiment of perceptual audio masking. In order to get as many testers as possible, I thought of no better to place to hunt global participators of whom I trust to help me out. So if you want to be a participant in an experiment that isn't quite on the scale of the Large Hadron Collider, but as equally important to me personally, then read on.

Secondly, there are a few restrictions. Obviously to get total scientific accuracy I would have to play the test sounds to everyone in the same room from the same source. But because that's not what I'm trying to do, as long as you have a pair of headphones it will be sufficient. And that is the only restriction, actually. Oh and you need ears.

Thirdly, the test is split into three sections. The first section involves listening to two sounds and answering a question of 'can you hear a difference?'. The second section is the same as the first. The third section involves listening to a set of sounds and answering a question of 'when can you hear a difference?'. It's simple, and shouldn't really take you longer than 5 minutes.

Make a note of your results, with a simple format ("Yes, No, 5", for example). You can either post your results here on the thread. They aren't going to be used to add details about you to various databases, but you can PM me on these forums, or email them to me at callumbigden42@gmail.com

tl;dr:

This is a scientific test on masking, which you don't need to understand, and if you have headphones and want to help me out continue. :)

Test 1

Here you should listen to the following two sound files and note if you hear a difference, with a Yes or No.

[video=soundcloud;user71211951/sets/test-1]https://soundcloud.com/user71211951/sets/test-1[/video]

Test 2

Again, exactly as before, listen to the following two sound files and note if you hear a difference, with a Yes or No.

[video=soundcloud;user71211951/sets/test-2]https://soundcloud.com/user71211951/sets/test-2[/video]

Test 3

This one is a little more complicated, but there will be seven files played and you should note when you hear a difference. Indicate it with the file number. For this test you will have to go onto the Soundcloud website here:
You'll have to manually stop it after File 7 because Soundcloud annoyingly continues playing sounds on the account.

​[video=soundcloud;user146592/sets/test-3]https://soundcloud.com/user146592/sets/test-3[/video]

If you took part in this test thank you. You can post your results here on this thread, or PM me, or email me at the address above. Thank you!

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
I'll tell you the purpose when I've got all the results together from here and those who I'm torturing testing with in person :p

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
Well the results were presented today, so I can reveal who will be killed what the experiment was about.

Test 1:

There was a difference between the two sounds, but the idea is that the difference is masked, as in you can't hear it because another sound of a similar frequency is louder. In this case the sounds were harmonics. Only 9% of people heard that, one being Naga, so I suspect your hidden classical music training comes into play.

Test 2:

Again there was a difference, but this one was more obvious, as the sound that was added was the 12th harmonic so it wasn't being masked by anything as it was much further away from the other harmonics. 88% heard that difference.

Test 3:

Most people heard the change around file 3 - 4, but the change did start at 2. It was just the 6th harmonic getting louder each time.

So thank you for all who took part, you're participation will aid my lengthy report I know have to write about it. And we all now know Naga has bat-like hearing. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.