• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Anctoville, France (WIP Map)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roughbeak

Hello everyone, that CryENGINE map I was promised, is ready to be revealed! That recently created level is “Anctoville, France”, it has been created, brain cudgeled, baked, and tested, for over four months. I really wanted to get finished with it and move on.

Keep in mind, it looks a bit different from that of Battlefield 2 modification: Forgotten Hope 2’s Anctoville. However being the same area of France, there are parts which resemble. If it had WW2 assets it might go into production.

In the entire creation process of the map I used Google Earth survey the land and to get a good sense of what the area looked like. From the South there is a road that dips a mile and takes a turn to the West. In addition to, on the same path, it merges north to the village. Without further ado, I will enjoy sharing the level to you!

The map ingame is on the left, real life is on the right. Considering the fighting will take place more in the middle, parts that are not fighting-ground will be less detailed.

Details

It is crucial in maps to have some good texture painting and decals - using a healthy stash of textures and decals do help your scene. Besides, plus it makes the level more realistic and tasty. In this particular level, I have over 500 decals logically placed all over.

For making realistic levels, you have to pay close attention to detail, from ground up to the sky.

Ground twigs/leaves/rocks are essential where there are trees nearby, good vegetation placement is necessary, and light shafts + bloom just bring the true nature to your map come alive. Particles, wind, and sound (too bad images do not have sound) make the level come to life even more.

Another thing to point out is always generate your terrain texture after every texture painting session (generate it two times) and before saving your level. Otherwise your level will be risking to crash + destroy your level files, and indeed, I did learn the hard way.

Refining

ToD/lighting is essential to create an atmospheric setting. This is so important that it can make or break your scene/level, making it truly crucial. However, this takes tons of work to get right, but it is worth it - experimentation is crucial when it comes to level designing.

Over those four months, one of the things I understood was “Color Grading”. I put it to use in my Anctoville, France by using Flow Graph. Color Grading is a method of blending various colors in your map to make it much more realistic and a convincing scene. Forgotten Hope 2 Developers used a similar feature, which is why the maps felt very appealing to many players.

If you are wondering how to apply this, there is a good tutorial on Youtube.

Photos (they got a little low quality, I do not know why)

Like I said before, if I had WW2 assets, it would look epic

I hope you liked this level of mine, like I said before everything is "WIP". If you liked what you have seen and would like to comment or like, let me know! Thanks for coming to this thread and see you next time.

Last edited:

sHaKeNbAkE

Did you create custom structures/buildings or are these stock? They look stock but I could be wrong? Overall I like what I am seeing and would love to see some video footage even if your not carrying a M1 :) Did you add some ambient sounds as well? Well I now how work a map can be so great job for taking it on...anyone have any WW2 assets laying around? ;)

hannibaldinski

TW Developer
Looks good mate. Ive been in the village myself. Pretty cool to see a level of it. If you want i can send some pictures of the place. I made a lot of refs when i was there :)

Roughbeak

Thanks guys. :) Would love to see this in TW when I get more experienced and join. ;) I got great plans of gameplay of this, plus it is accurate. I cannot do much more with the map without WW2 assets.

Here is some of it, the British were the main fighters.
Time on Target: The World War II Memoir of William R. Buster - William R. Buster - Google Books

@sHaKeNbAkE All of the assets are default, but some objects like those rods for fence openings have custom material (lobster_cage). Also, some of the roads are custom by me. and some of those bushes I used from this:

http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?f=310&t=122385

Also, every area of the map has a unique sound to it. ;)

Actually I do have a video of this map.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSQgwrb0qo8[/video]

Last edited:

oxigebr

we need more equal to this great job maps was very good indeed wanted to see how this maps in TW, but just need more buildings is not going to be many campers! :D sorry for my english

Status
Not open for further replies.