• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Crouch walking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniallator

Try this; get up and go to your floor, and crouch. Note how high you are, what things are at eye level; now try moving around while crouched. See? You're higher, and things that were at eye level when crouched are now below you. Why, because you're higher when you move while crouched than when you're crouched and not moving. So why, in so many games, do crouching and crouch walking happen at the same height? I don't know, I guess they don't think of it. In Insurgency for example, when room clearing, you can cut your silhouette in half by crouching because you're at the same height as when crouching and not moving! It's preposterous.

So, devs, I implore you; implement walking while crouched so that if you're crouched and you begin moving, you raise yourself to a realistic level... not standing, of course, but higher. Try crouching and crouch walking for yourselves to get an idea of how to implement it :)

FlyingR

Try this; get up and go to your floor, and crouch. Note how high you are, what things are at eye level; now try moving around while crouched. See? You're higher, and things that were at eye level when crouched are now below you. Why, because you're higher when you move while crouched than when you're crouched and not moving. So why, in so many games, do crouching and crouch walking happen at the same height? I don't know, I guess they don't think of it. In Insurgency for example, when room clearing, you can cut your silhouette in half by crouching because you're at the same height as when crouching and not moving! It's preposterous.

So, devs, I implore you; implement walking while crouched so that if you're crouched and you begin moving, you raise yourself to a realistic level... not standing, of course, but higher. Try crouching and crouch walking for yourselves to get an idea of how to implement it :)

Not necessarily, you can keep the same height when you crouch walk, the thing is that your head bobs sideways. @Maniche, did you guys do that with the mo-cap?

Aniallator

Not necessarily, you can keep the same height when you crouch walk, the thing is that your head bobs sideways. @Maniche, did you guys do that with the mo-cap?

Not really :p Did you try it? Take a knee, than try walking while crouched, there's not an insignificant height difference. On top of being more realistic, proper crouch walking would also disencourage players from walking around crouched everywhere they go.

FlyingR

Not really :p Did you try it? Take a knee, than try walking while crouched, there's not an insignificant height difference. On top of being more realistic, proper crouch walking would also disencourage players from walking around crouched everywhere they go.

I have tried crouch walking, and I didn't have a change of height. :confused: Maybe it depends on how you crouch walk? As in, you can crouch walk moving one leg/foot in front of the other or you crouch walk keeping your stronger leg/foot in the back and the weaker one in the front while moving.

I don't know which one is the most efficient one and I have never tried it with a rifle/equipment.

Esu21

This is the first thing that came to my mind when I read the title :p
gif.jpg

Tried it and yes, it's true that you have to "get" a little bit higher so that your muscles can move. Would be cool to see it in-game

Status
Not open for further replies.