• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Historical Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingR

Since "Pictures of the Day" is only for WWII photos, this thread will be for all kinds of photographs from any year or epoch.

To start off, a few pictures from the saloons or bars in the Wild West

Here's a big compilation of the pictures:
Wild West saloons revealed in 19th century photos | Daily Mail Online

Aniallator

A remarkable photo from the battle of Sedan, during the Franco-Prussian War, showing lines of French and Prussian infantry engaging. You can even make out soldiers firing and soldiers being hit by bullets. Among the first true combat photos, taken 1st September 1870.

Flare

Vanguard Backer
[MENTION=2108]Aniallator[/MENTION] Fantastic picture! Really shocking to see the opposing lines that close to each other. The battlefield seems so small! It's incredible, really.

VonMudra

[MENTION=2108]Aniallator[/MENTION] Fantastic picture! Really shocking to see the opposing lines that close to each other. The battlefield seems so small! It's incredible, really.

Far as I can tell that's two skirmish lines of the same side. If this is supposed to be taken from the French side, then both are German. You can see the front line is actually facing and shooting towards the camera.

In fact yep, here yah go:

The Chubachus Library of Photographic History: Alleged Photographs of German Skirmishers Advancing Towards a French Position at La Moncelle During the Battle of Sedan

Aniallator

Far as I can tell that's two skirmish lines of the same side. If this is supposed to be taken from the French side, then both are German. You can see the front line is actually facing and shooting towards the camera.

In fact yep, here yah go:

The Chubachus Library of Photographic History: Alleged Photographs of German Skirmishers Advancing Towards a French Position at La Moncelle During the Battle of Sedan

Hahaha, I had a feeling you would reply with something like this xD It does seem rather "too good to be true" to be a combat photo, though if it is indeed staged for a postcard then they went to an awful lot of trouble to stage it, with the skirmish lines firing raggedly, the column advancing on the right, the dead bodies on the road, and on the rightmost end of the nearer skirmish line what clearly appears to be a German soldier getting snatched back by a bullet.

This is neat, the same house in the photo now in the present day:

Good colorizations [MENTION=2177]Simon[/MENTION]!

yrumad11

Vanguard Backer
I love those thick paint jobs all the old houses have on em, just makes it feel nostalgic. I worked on quite a few soldering new copper and stainless gutters and had to fix all the old rotted wood from the leaks. Needless to say I gooped that paint on heavy, crazy to think a lot of old woodwork they just carved out.

Flare

Vanguard Backer
Not really historical but they are bound to become part of history. Photos of Mosul Iraq after being finally retaken by the Iraqi forces. ISIS had held it since 2014. Some of these pictures are really something.

Mosul endgame in images ? AP Images Spotlight

The second pictures just shows how much destruction there is...

Status
Not open for further replies.