• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Huge updates for games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller786

These days i noticed that the patches for games are becoming really huge without adding that much.
For example the Wt patch 1.39 , it just added a few planes and modified some others, why does it weight 4 GBs?
Also the Ro2 patch that finally arrived, what it adds is basically 2 new vehicles and some maps... it weights 8.5 GBs... the game should now weight something near 30GBs... Why?
As game developers, could you answer my questions? xD
P.S.: tried to ask on Ro2 forums... got moderated... maybe saying "dats bullshit" wasnt the right choice ehehehe...

Pjosip

Vanguard Backer
Yeah, seems that many moderators (in general) seem to be under the age of 14, thus being overly sensitive to swearing and inable to simply delete the swear word.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
It is sometimes hard as a moderator to view each post on it's own merits rather than just thinking "here we go again" and punishing someone for posting an opinion just because it's been heard before (and is probably not one you particularly like).

On topic:

The size of a game patch depends on many things but my guess is they recompiled the archives which contain the game files and just redistributed the whole lot rather than sending out just the changed files and then decompiling and recompiling the archives to bring them up-to-date.

Presumably to minimise the risk of people injecting hacks/cheats into the archives but I'm guessing. I don't know why they've all suddenly shot up in filesize.

Koenigstiger

The patches you mentioned have added a lot to the games

With war thunder apart from the obvious stuff they've most likely made a ton of tweaks for damage models, etc

As for RO2 patch,well not only troop transports and maps but a MASSIVE host of fixes

A patch isn't added to the game unless it's a content patch

The 8.5gb for RO2 is mostly copy and paste stuff so it will go over the old files and the game size staying relatively the same. If you want the exact info check out the changelog on steam

Untitled.jpg

I had to re-download RO2 to my new Hard Drive because I was having problems but this is the full download including the new Patch.

thens

Regarding the latest RO2 patch: They reworked the internal cooking system, so that's also a reason why this update is quite huge.

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
Games in general are really huge now though, so I guess it makes sense updates are as well. Titanfall clocked in at 48gb, which is insane for a multiplayer only game with like 12 maps?

I think it's the new consoles fault; developers trying to make their games look like more of advanced so they max out the dual-layer bluray discs. (Most games on PS4 & Xbone are nothing short of 50gb.) That's the only reason I can think of, they just don't compress anything. Half of the Max Payne 3 35gb was uncompressed cutscenes. Totally unnecessary.

Miller786

Thanks Naga and Calgobin for you answers, i was looking forward to see them.
@Koenigster If you go in your steam/steamapps/common folder and you look at the red orchestra 2 size, you will soon find out that it is actually 22 GBs.
To check better what is occupying more space on your HDD, i suggest to you to use this program. https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/
Compatible with win7 and 8, dunno for xp and for the guys with vista (heheheh vista...)

Koenigstiger

I know it's 21GB (21 for me) but you stated "the game should now weight something near 30GBs"

The game has been around 20gb for a while now

I was showing you that the compressed download is still only 9.6GB with the patch

@calgoblin yea but also the fact that digital distribution is becoming the norm, when Skyrim was released it was around 6GB, them compression tactics.

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
@calgoblin yea but also the fact that digital distribution is becoming the norm, when Skyrim was released it was around 6GB, them compression tactics.

Even so, a lot of the world can't download such large things easily. A lot of people have download caps, a 50gb game may be a large chunk - if not all - of a monthly allowance. A Titanfall dev said that 35gb of the 48gb game is uncompressed audio, meaning the rest of the game is only 17gb. That's ridiculous, and as far as I can see they do it just to make the game look bigger, more impressive. I shall coin this technique 'size boosting'. If TWs is ever as stupidly huge as that I will personally come deliver it to you on a golden cushion. And make Naga eat my hat.

Koenigstiger

Yes exactly

My download speed is usually 4.2 mbps with a 500gb cap a month but my friend has about 6gb a month and 500kb-1mbps download

Some people don't have internet at all

-_-

Pjosip

Vanguard Backer
Actually more than 20GB of titanfall is uncompressed sounds.
The idea is the game would run faster if it doesen't have to uncompress sounds on the go but rather read from raw data.

Koenigstiger

The idea is the game would run faster if it doesen't have to uncompress sounds on the go but rather read from raw data.

I'm pretty sure reading large compressed files would be faster than dealing with the raw data.

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games

35gb, so 60% of the filesize.

I'm pretty sure reading large compressed files would be faster than dealing with the raw data.

Exactly, that's true. An uncompressed audio file (depending on many things, lets go with DVD quality) will be 1536kBits/second, a compressed MP3 (though you'd never use it for games or I'd slap you) is at best 320kBits/second. The game wouldn't compress data on the go anyway, that would of course destroy performance. Sounds would be compressed and streamed through the engine, so unless they have a really bad sound system... Anyway I think I've gone off topic :p

Koenigstiger

That was pretty much my assumption

If they're using raw data instead of compressed and streaming it through the engine they must not know what they are doing :D

Koenigstiger

Games in general are really huge now though, so I guess it makes sense updates are as well. Titanfall clocked in at 48gb, which is insane for a multiplayer only game with like 12 maps?

I think it's the new consoles fault; developers trying to make their games look like more of advanced so they max out the dual-layer bluray discs. (Most games on PS4 & Xbone are nothing short of 50gb.) That's the only reason I can think of, they just don't compress anything. Half of the Max Payne 3 35gb was uncompressed cutscenes. Totally unnecessary.

Wolfenstein: New Order IS 40gb

And the day one update is 5gb

-__-

Status
Not open for further replies.