• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

IDEAS cont.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Everman

in my last post i said that if there is going to be a squad mechanic that there has to be a ranking system and why. but you might have thought after reading it "well how will this work?". well i thought of that...

- Promotion points

1. well there are a number of people that have commented on how to get promotion points and i would link them but i have never learned how to do that quote thing (sorry). it is not surprising they said that you should get points for killing enemies, capturing objectives, defending objectives, saving buddies, and so on. but they also said that you should lose points for dying so that people cant be promoted to sgt and higher when you ACTUALLY SUCK...good idea. but lets kick this up a notch...

what if you got points for fallowing orders?

it would not only add a new feature that no game has ever included before but would also help encourage team work. now your probably wondering how this can be done?. it could be done be integrating some mechanics from the games freedom fighters and brother in arms. in both games, you get a group of guys to control and had a very simplistic way of commanding them to move to different spots and shoot at/defend against enemies. if you never played those game you control your soldiers by picking an order, dragging your mouse to a location or enemy soldier and click so that they execute said order...simple. it should be the same for this game. each squad should have a squad leader. each squad leader should have special weapons and equipment like a thompson smg and binoculars. these squad leaders would use these items to lay down orders like move, defend, assault, and suppressive fire that would appear on the screens of his squad and his squad only. his squad members now have direction and a mini objective to complete. ok so lets say there will be a ranking system with specialized experiment for each rank/class with a command system, how would this convert to promotion points? well the persons in charge of the squad would lay out an order (move, suppress fire, ect.) that would show up on his squad's screen and his squads team alone. once they see the order on their screen they would execute and get some promotion points when they completed it.

drummer93

I think you're referring to my comments :D. The community are making a squad system but i don't know how it is

Everman

yes i was dropping your post. i so so so so so so so so so so so so badly wish/want a combat game to get squad mechanics right. i want to work as a team with other people so much. but to make it work you need certain aspects...like a leader and a reward for working as a team. this can only be down if there is a leader that has the ability to give orders and a reward for the soldiers underneath the leader to obey. in real combat, our reward is the ability to kiss our loved ones once more when we get back.

Sir Apple

The plan is to have a squad leader leading the squad, with the ability to tell his squad/guide his squad to target specific objectives and such in the game.

drummer93

yes i was dropping your post. i so so so so so so so so so so so so badly wish/want a combat game to get squad mechanics right. i want to work as a team with other people so much. but to make it work you need certain aspects...like a leader and a reward for working as a team. this can only be down if there is a leader that has the ability to give orders and a reward for the soldiers underneath the leader to obey. in real combat, our reward is the ability to kiss our loved ones once more when we get back.

You will can choose the class NCO. The player who choose the NCO will command the other players in his squad.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Interesting idea Everman :) The game is afterall all about teamwork so rewarding players for working together makes sense :)

K. Steine

The one thing that may prove to be a problem with a ranking system; are units. I; personally belong to the 3rd ID. Now we get promoted in our unit; the way our higher command deems fit. Having an in-game ranking system may conflict with the unit members; especially if he's supposed to be a private, and his rank in game is like Lieutenant. Though if this ranking system does become a thing; I think that not only should you have the ability to lose point; you should have the ability to be de-promoted after a certain amount of points lost. Just saying. ^^

Troy

It seems like it would be a good idea, but a ranking system as I have said many times for this game would be a horrible idea. People will work together because they want to not because they get points and can rank up.

Everman

troy, im sorry i have never been in any game where working together was their first choice of action. hell i have played TEAM FORTRESS and they really dont work together all that much and TEAM is in the name. a good example of why people would work together to get points is black ops 2 or any cod for that matter. its all about getting the points. hell i spent a a couple weeks to a month trying to do certain things in the game just to get diamonds on my SMGs.

oh an steine, yes i do think there should be some balance to the ranking system and even have a demoted mechanic...but only slightly. lets look at it this way...

1. even with this mechanic doesnt mean you have to work within your squad. kills, capturing points, defending the points, and so on will all give you promotion points that will rank you up. so if you wan...go your own thing if you want.

2. HOWEVER, working together and fallowing orders will give you extra points which will help you rank up faster and allow you to do more and more leadership abilities as you rank up higher and higher. what those abilities are once you hit officer and stuff i dont know (but i do have ideas...stay tuned)

3. dying and maybe failing to to protect objects will make you lose points. if you lose to many you will be demoted and stripped of you rank and abilities to lead (great idea steine)

but the positive must weight out the negitive. could you imagine getting this game and loving it but never being able to rank up up due to dying and stuff. you would throw it to side and never play it again. i would be angry as hell if i stayed a riflemen the whole time and never got the change to lay down lead with the 30 cal. mg.

oh and GENERAL did you ever play darkest hour 1944? it's a mod for red orchestra. never really played RO but played the hell out of that mod. they have alot of great mechanics in that game. no one plays it anymore but it's worth checking out.

K. Steine

You'd actually be surprised at how often people work together in games. RnL for example. These days, it seems to be full of people who were simply pulled in by Criken fans; but often do you find people always willing to use teamwork to win. If you have troubles finding teamwork; units are usually the answer. You're encouraged to play in a community with friends; and use teamwork and tactics to win. I don't really like the idea of ranks; simply because it would feel a little more like an arcade type FPS. I really dislike the idea of anything being used that makes the player think that just being rambo will advance his rank. In fact, encouraging killing the enemy can often lead to a mission failure in itself... Too many times have I been in a squad on RnL, that's objective were to take out a mortar with a satchel charge, and divert to take out an MG, which was unnecessary; and only proved to get the team killed, when they could have avoided it completely and accomplished the objective.

Troy

troy, im sorry i have never been in any game where working together was their first choice of action. hell i have played TEAM FORTRESS and they really dont work together all that much and TEAM is in the name. a good example of why people would work together to get points is black ops 2 or any cod for that matter. its all about getting the points. hell i spent a a couple weeks to a month trying to do certain things in the game just to get diamonds on my SMGs.

but the positive must weight out the negitive. could you imagine getting this game and loving it but never being able to rank up up due to dying and stuff. you would throw it to side and never play it again. i would be angry as hell if i stayed a riflemen the whole time and never got the change to lay down lead with the 30 cal. mg.

The game will be using 3d voice/proximity voice from my knowledge. So who ever speaks out and says, lets go this way, lets try this etc will be automatically followed. I see it happen in RnL and Arma all the time.

The game is also using a British section layout thus meaning you have a limited amount of roles per team. If you aren't quick to grab the MG slot you won't get it. I would hate to see this game use any points/ranks system to be rewarded for working as a team which should be a instinct that people playing the game will have.

Adding this rank/point system would mean the people with the higher rank or the more points will just do what they want, if some poor bugger who just started the game tries leading people the older higher ranked members will not even give him the time of day because they have a higher rank and class themselves better at the game. Thats the way i see the game going if theres ranks incorporated.

You only have to look at games like DH and RnL, yeah they haven't the biggest communities but the players sticked around because they enjoy playing the game, i haven't seen anyone moan about not gaining points in a few years!

But this would be a nice idea if Traction Wars wasn't aiming to be a realism game.

Davies

Vanguard Friend
My main gripe with ranking systems is how silly they are, especially in things like COD. You end up with 17 Generals and a Field Marshal running around the battlefield. It's just silly. And what do you do when you reach the max level? Do a COD prestige and carry on like before, eventually becoming a Major Super General Sergeant 1st Class MBE and you're still running around shooting people? Surely you'd have a desk job by now! :D

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
I don't really think we need a ranking system but if it was to be included it would have to track overall player's success which includes kills, deaths but primarily objectives and teamwork score. The accent should be on survival and helping your team, not how many kills you can get.

Also I would like the game to be slower paced... FH 2 or RO 2 can get quite hectic at times. Now it doesn't need to be the boredom-fest that is sometimes Project Reality but I feel like it would be good if the player had some other options than the dreaded spawn-die and repeat ad infinitum circle. Manouvers, covering fire, flanking should be possible to pull off in the game, as well as calling in the heavy cavalry or arty strike to eliminate facing obstacles.

A well designed scoring system can work wonders in that case, but why stop only on score? You can make it so if a squad keeps relatively close to their SL and/or set objectives they get bonuses like suffering less suppression or shorter respawn time. Also good ingame VOIP, especially 3D positional VOIP can help in aiding teamwork.

K. Steine

I actually have a small idea that someone may be able to branch off... Is experience. Literally. The more you experience combat, and what not in the game, your character can become more experienced, being less suppressed, and his accuracy improving the more often he's being shot at, or shooting. Of course this would need to extremely balanced so people won't be able to be afraid to catch bullets with their teeth, and not get suppressed.

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
I really dislike any idea of "improving" your character in the game. It makes the gap between new and a veteran player even bigger, and that's not a good idea if you want to attract new players. The "experience" is your own personal experience of learning the gameplay mechanics, distinct weapon sounds and characteristics, orientation and twitch skills. Those all improve over time as you play the game more.

Of course "buffs" dependent on the amount of friendlies nearby, SL and officers presence is something completely different as it promotes teamwork. It would be nice if a lonewolf would suffer more suppression than a group of players (unless he's playing a class/kit that is more used to working alone and being self sustainable such as commando or sniper).

Although I do like shiny medals in the award systems. Who doesn't? :p

Last edited:

K. Steine

Fair enough. I would offer something where perhaps this will only imply to each round, so the longer you stay in the round for, the more said; "Experience" you will get. And this will reset at the end of each game. This might also encourage people not to leave the game so early. Though I think most people would prefer that idea to just be scrapped c: Thinking about it more now, ANY form in increasing the person's abilities is a bad idea; because as mentioned above, new players will be at a dis-advantage, something all too common in most games. Un-related to "Levelling-up"; I think that there should be a way for you to access your stats. How many games you've played, how long you've survived in a life. But I have a feeling that if you add K/D into it, people are going to be kill-hunting rather than just playing the objective.

Status
Not open for further replies.