• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

M24 Stielhandgranate

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuLL

Make more use of the little blighters.
Make a cylinder in max with a good scattering of height segments.Ponce about with it for
half an hour or so,slap a quick and dirty skin on it & you have yourself an asset."Or not".
heh.

Last edited by a moderator:

BuLL

Re: Cylinders.

I`m suggesting that inexperienced peeps can quite easily make an asset for a game,from a simple cylinder?.....I didn`t realise it was so confusing!
And yes it`s a ww2 model..That`s the point of posting here!....If that`s ok...
Don`t want to tread on anyones toes.

Halfdark

Looks pretty good actually, considering it's basically just a cylinder and a quick-and-dirty skin.

Fuchs

Vanguard Backer

Wont comment on the historical accuracy but if you did this in half an hour, well done.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games

If we're going in for constructive critism it looks a little short and fat to me. Might just be the perspective though.

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games

Even I can make that grenade, nice!

Do you want a model like that, Naga?

Maniche

BuLL

General Naga said:
If we're going in for constructive critism it looks a little short and fat to me. Might just be the perspective though.
I guess the piccy I used for the template must be off "dimensionally".I made the plane in max to the same aspect ratio of the piccy & the model exactly fit`s in max...Wierd.

You got any ref pics that show the true dimensions of this type of nade at all?

@ maniche..Go for it bud..Knock yerself out...I love seeing what other peeps come up with..Crack on ;)

Fuchs

Vanguard Backer
Re: Re: Re: Cylinders.

BuLL said:
Fuchs said:
Wont comment on the historical accuracy

Please do so...I based it on googled images only.
This as a template for max.
http://www.lonesentry.com/manuals/german-infantry-weapons/pics/25-grenade-stielhandgranate-24.jpg
And this for the render.
http://www.newbegin.com/assets/images/db_images/A1489X.JPG

Are there other versions I`m unaware of?

There are many other versions, this one looks like a raped M24 if you ask me.

Have a look at the image. English isn?t my native language so I?ll try to explain.
First the square, as you see the font you have is different then this one, minor detail but it annoys a historical nerd like me. Then the circle, you see those half circled thingies coming out of the cylinder? Your model is missing them. Then the line, even though you used an image I get the feeling that your image is not an M24 as it says but some sort of Communist copy, China for example build their own potato mashers, etc. From the eye I definitely think the grip should be longer. And last but not least, the Reichs stamp of approval is never found on grenades, definitely not on the grip.

Hope this helps!

BuLL

Sorted...Thanks again Fuchs,extremely enlightening info & as I said,much appreciated.

Fuchs

Vanguard Backer

Yes Bob, there should be images.

Anyway on topic, looks great now Bull!

Sir Apple

Looks better, though I'd suggest you normal map the circular highlights on the bottom of grenade (on the cap thing).

Also at the bottom of the warhead assembly, there seems to be some green on the wood, separated from the warhead. If you see where I speak of?

BuLL

Re: Re: Cylinders.

Sir Apple said:
Looks better, though I'd suggest you normal map the circular highlights on the bottom of grenade (on the cap thing).

Also at the bottom of the warhead assembly, there seems to be some green on the wood, separated from the warhead. If you see where I speak of?
Green overspill,must remember to wear my glasses for skinning...I`ll also have a crack at a normal map..Cheers chaps ;)

BuLL

Fuchs said:
Yes Bob, there should be images.

Anyway on topic, looks great now Bull!

Fuchs,,Could you clarify this info I found...Apparently these nades had a red undercoat applied before a top coat of green.
I was gonna give it some wear but want to be sure of my findings...If the top coats scratched then obviously the undercoat would show initially but deeper scratching would obviously be metallic or rusty if aged....Cheers bud.
Something like this is what I found...Also noticed the overrun of the green paint onto the wood,eh Apple?..lol

Fuchs

Vanguard Backer

I don't know Bull, I have never scratched paint of a Stielhandgranate. I do know German base paint was almost all the times tan. But everything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.