• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

New PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roughbeak

Hey, I just ordered a Dell Inspiron 7559 (with an Intel Core i5-6300HQ, 8gb or ram, and Geforce GTX 960m) and a separate order of a 250gb Samsung SSD M.2 (and of course that Logitech G300s I was talking about in that other thread). Finally got a computer that can run Traction Wars well! woop woop

It is a laptop yes, but I can very well say I will get into CryENGINE again soon! :D

Last edited:

Aniallator

New mouse and a new rig, sounds like somebody's gearing up :) I have an ASUS ROG gaming laptop (i7 4720HQ, GTX 960M, 2 500 MB HDDs), and I can run everything pretty well; Arma 3 at 50-60 FPS normally, 20-30 when in heavy combat, Insurgency 70-80 FPS normally, 40-50 when in heavy combat, et cetera. Never actually played a CRYENGINE game, though when I have the internet I'll download WarFace and see how she runs! I've never actually owned a gaming mouse, though :p

Roughbeak

Heh, that exact Asus was actually my other choice, I just chose the Dell because of its nice looks (IMO). Of course the i7 would probably be "better", but I read benchmarks on this i5-6300HQ running on High (not ultra) saying it performs great for what I do (modeling, texturing - environment art).

Looks like we got something similar though, hence the GPU. ;)

Last edited:

Aniallator

Heh, that exact Asus was actually my other choice, I just chose the Dell because of its nice looks (IMO). Of course the i7 would probably be "better", but I read benchmarks on this i5-6300HQ running on High (not ultra) saying it performs great for what I do (modeling, texturing - environment art).

Looks like we got something similar though, hence the GPU. ;)

Yes, but you have the SSD, I don't! There is one model higher that has an SSD and an IPS screen, but it was another $100 or $200, so I opted out... you can't have it all :) I think mine was around $1000, what about your Dell? IIRC I got it on a minor sale.

Roughbeak

I got it at Dell.com for $750 on a special offer. The offer is still going, but ends really soon though. The SSD was $100.

So I'd say it's a steal for what you get! :)

Aniallator

Just for laughs, this new PC will replace this sad thing:

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/1144597

Honestly, it never could run Forgotten Hope 2 or Project Reality on medium settings... and don't ask how it could even be capable of playing Traction Wars. Oh my :laugh:

Good god, how did you survive! BF2 on low settings, dear me, dear me... I could run PR pretty well on my previous computer, a crappy AMD Acer, though in PR I'd get huge lag spikes down to 5-10 FPS when flying a helo over the main base area. As you can imagine, it resulted in some unpleasant experiences for the helo's occupants :laugh:

Roughbeak

Hehe yeah. Actually BF2 I could play okay on high settings, but not good quality mods (FH2, PR). Even Battlefield 1942 on all high was 30-40 fps at the most.

Fortunately those days are over, this new PC may not be the best, but it can definitely be good at high settings (not ultra, but that's fine). :)

Last edited:

Aniallator

Didn't see this here before, but.. yes, that's a great game. I'll install it soon after I get the new PC, but not before installing the CE SDK. ;)

Yeah, I figure it'll be an excellent way to see how TW will run... I believe WarFace is actually dveloped by the CRYENGINE team.

Roughbeak

Just got the PC a few days ago, just an incredible purchase!

It's fast, the looks of it are cool, can handle a surprising amount of tasks easily, and plus, it runs many high end games like a breeze on high settings. I'm pumped because I haven't even got the SSD yet! :D

Last edited:

Aniallator

Just got the PC a few days ago, just an incredible purchase!

It's fast, the looks of it are cool, can handle a surprising amount of tasks easily, and plus, it runs many high end games like a breeze on high settings. I'm pumped because I haven't even got the SSD yet! :D

Nothing like the feeling of a ripping fast new computer :D

Aniallator

Haha yup, your specs basically equate to mine... I'm surprised Dell has a quality, affordable gaming laptop, somehow I just imagine them as office desktop people. Anyway, it looks like an excellent rig! These specs are enough, but I dream of the day I can have a GTX 1080, 4k monitor, 32 GBs of RAM, 252 GB SSD, the whole caboose... oh well, I guess I'll keep dreaming xD

Roughbeak

[...] I'm surprised Dell has a quality, affordable gaming laptop [...]

Yeah, almost all the Youtube reviews on this PC said the same thing. Also I never would have expected Dell to make it such good looking as well!

... and I tested CryENGINE V SDK on it, the "Woodland" level works incredible on high settings :D

FlyingR

[MENTION=2108]Aniallator[/MENTION] I thought the same thing! And as Rough says, it does look good indeed. I might actually consider this laptop since I'm looking for a gaming laptop as well!

11 hrs of battery life? Is that even possible?

Roughbeak

Well, I get about 4 hours of use on the web without plugged in. For gaming, I never tried it. :)

Yeah, for purchasing the PC, just note there were some updates I had to do on the Wifi card and Intel 530 graphic driver (yes, it comes with two graphic cards - one for light use and the other for gaming/high performance stuff). With those two updates, the PC works great! They can be found here

.. and for advice, the trackpad is pretty unreliable (sometimes it's unresponsive), I'd opt for a mouse if you have one. ;)

Last edited:

Aniallator

Yeah, almost all the Youtube reviews on this PC said the same thing. Also I never would have expected Dell to make it such good looking as well!

... and I tested CryENGINE V SDK on it, the "Woodland" level works incredible on high settings :D

Awesome! That's excellent news for me as well, so thank you :D My greatest worry with my ASUS ROG was that I wouldn't be able to run TW well at all.

@Aniallator I thought the same thing! And as Rough says, it does look good indeed. I might actually consider this laptop since I'm looking for a gaming laptop as well!

11 hrs of battery life? Is that even possible?

If you're looking for a gaming laptop, it seems Rough's is an excellent way to go! It's a bargain at $750, when I was looking for a gaming laptop all the rigs I saw in that price range had GTX 950s and meh processors and RAM.

Unplugged, IIRC my ASUS tops out at about five hours doing simple things like writing, and about an hour when gaming (all when using battery saver and on a mid to low brightness setting). However, when not plugged in my computer's performance is basically cut in half regardless of battery setting, so unplugged isn't great for gaming... but unless I'm taking my computer somewhere it's always plugged in anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.