• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

News Update #38: Sten Weapon Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
Following our latest Dev Blog "From High To Low" we present a short video preview of the Sten Mk.II, which was modelled and textured by [TWDEV] brrr, animated by [TWDEV] chad509, and with SFX by [TWDEV] calgoblin. We would also like to take this opportunity to welcome our newest developer [TWDEV] RvtL, who is joining us as a level designer. We look forward to working with him.

Interested in joining the team?
The team is currently looking for level designers and particle artists who have experience in CRYENGINE. If you have the experience and are interested in being part of our friendly and professional team then please head over to our recruitment page for further details.

For the very latest media and updates follow us on the social networks below, as well as our community forum and our new expanded media gallery.

Troy

Looks good the best sten I have seen in a game so far! Little less recoil than I thought there would be.

For being a weak person in the everyday life, looking at that makes me feel weird.

If the magazine looked so hard to put in i'd probably use my other hand to hold the whole gun instead of keeping it on the handle It just feels unatural.
After all, Just my side of it.

-Squirrel

ScheifferB

As mentioned in ample threads. The footage that you see is very much a heavy work in progress and/or is NOT to be considered a representative of the final product.

Just a friendly reminder for everyone who's noticed the laser sten and anything else :)

Roughbeak

That's a nice Sten there, but yeah the magazine change should be worked on more just a bit. ;) My suggestion animate the right hand to hold the belly of the Sten instead of the stock. :)

Hopefully the left hand holding the magazine can be moved closer to the magazine well, because I have heard reports in battle, it effected feeding problems.

Cal you put out another excellent track, hope to see the full one soon! :D

Edit: Lol at 0:28 ("assign something to this" at one of the targets.. -.-.. been there).

Last edited:

Sir Apple

anyway show us some more german stuff! haha

OK here are some answers about German weapon previews. Since I'm tired of not giving a direct answer.

Crytek changed some things with their animation systems with the past SDK update, so we are holding back showing some German things at the moment until everything is 100% squared away. We still have more videos of British stuff lined up, so it will have to do for now :p

Tous vos dessins sont magnifiques.

Mais dans la plupart des cas on ne met que les armes très connu.

Juste pour savoir pensez vous à y mettre la Lanchester MkI fabriqué à partir de 1941 ou encore le PIAT ?

Bonne continuation
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All your drawings are beautiful.

But in most cases it only takes the well-known weapons.

Just to know you think to put the Lanchester MkI made ​​from 1941 or the PIAT?

good luck

http://www.histoiredelaguerre.com/img/Armement/Lanchester_mkI/

VonMudra

Lancaster wasn't used in Normandy, so no. It was only used by the Royal Navy. And we DO have a PIAT done....

d3v

I'm loving the firing sounds you guys are making for this game, as a sound designer myself I am very impressed, please keep up the great work! Oh and the animations look absolutely superb.

One suggestion though, can you make the drawing of a magazine more detailed in that I want to know I have taken the magazine from my belt pouch, instead of from thin air. Maybe have the shoulder raise/tilt up to portray the hand taking a magazine from the high-waisted ammo pouch that is iconic of the old 38 pattern British webbing.

Roughbeak

^
I do agree to this, without the magazine draw it does have the tendency to look like BF1942/2. :)
It would be epic doing this on pistol or MG42. :D

Sir Apple

I'm loving the firing sounds you guys are making for this game, as a sound designer myself I am very impressed, please keep up the great work! Oh and the animations look absolutely superb.

Thanks, means a lot! Its nice to read positive comments like this, spurs us on a lot! :)

d3v

Dude it's the least I can do is praise you for the hard work, in fact I would like to offer my services as a sound designer if you guys need an extra hand. PM me.

Vintorez

"Plumber's Nightmare"

Firstly: The Sten could be fired from the waist while standing or from the shoulder. These were the two officially sanctioned firing positions. The images come from a 1942 manual on the Sten Gun, showing the correct method of holding the weapon in the two approved firing positions, with the left hand cradled under the cooling jacket instead of clutching the magazine housing and the right hand at the trigger area as normal. Soldiers making use of the side-protruding magazine from its feed, causing a jam, and this way of holding Sten Gun is "movie myth".

Secondly: The Sten did suffer from lingering misfeeds which also led to jamming. A full 32-count magazine was capable of producing this effect which led to many soldiers utilizing only 30 rounds (less pressure on the magazine spring). The Standard practice was not to overwork the springs in the magazine by filling them to full capacity.

Thirdly: Effective range. In many publications we can find the information that effective range of the Sten Gun is 150-200 meters. That's not true. The effective range is 0-50 m. But, decreases drastically if soldier holding weapon by magazine. Holding this way, mean difficult to hit the target (an adult man) from distance 30 meters.
The Sten gun was designed for close-quarter combat and short-range assault applications, but was also very unreliable. However this didn’t stop to write a poem…

Ode to a Sten Gun
By Gunner. S.N. Teed

You wicked piece of vicious tin!
Call you a gun? Don't make me grin.
You're just a bloated piece of pipe.
You couldn't hit a hunk of tripe.
But when you're with me in the night,
I'll tell you pal, you're just alright!

Each day I wipe you free of dirt.
Your dratted corners tear my shirt.
I cuss at you and call you names,
You're much more trouble than my dames.
But boy, do I love to hear you yammer
When you 're spitting lead in a business manner.

You conceited pile of salvage junk.
I think this prowess talk is bunk.
Yet if I want a wall of lead
Thrown at some Jerry's head
It is to you I raise my hat;
You're a damn good pal...
You silly gat!​

Last edited by a moderator:

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
Thank you for the comments Vintorez, but as VonMudra already pointed out (quoted below);

Here's the deal on the holding of the mag. Yes, regulations wise, you were not supposed to hold it by the mag. Repetitive use as such could bend the mag feed lips, causing misfires.

HOWEVER, regulations and general orders do not equate to what was done in field. The shroud had a terrible tendency to heat up, and as anyone who has fired WW2 era weapons knows, that metal conducts heat and FAST. I have burned myself just firing 3 or 4 rounds out of my K98k, then accidentally picking it up by the un-protected balance point. If a couple rounds from a bolt action can do that, imagine what rapid fire from a SMG can do. The MP40 was no different, and still the soldiers held it by the mag area. They were far more concerned with not burning themselves every time they fired it, and with getting accurate shots (the mag grip offers better control), than with the rarity of having a mag misfire if you used it many times in that manner. So yes, there are photos of guys using it by the shroud (mostly training shots, when regulations would be enforced), but there are just as many of them using it by the magazine.

Maniche

Status
Not open for further replies.