• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

News Update #61: State of the Game IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
The past few weeks since our last update have been a hive of activity for the team, and for the first time ever we’re very excited to bring you some gifs showing off this work!

Over the past few months we have stepped up the intensity of testing as we pull together years of work into the stable base which we have internally dubbed 'Overlord-lite'. 'Lite' is now almost complete with just the importing of the new German character outstanding.

Testing is as always an enormous amount of fun, but it’s bringing to light some interesting design issues for us to overcome. Most recently we have been looking at making player identification a little easier, as in the low lighting environments accidental team killing has been happening too regularly. We are exploring ways of making team identification quicker and easier whilst still keeping UI interference to a minimum.

“MG34 firing into the darkness and being suppressed by return fire”

With a stable base now nearing completion we have moved on to less immediately obvious (but just as important) improvements in various areas of the game. For example, by giving mappers more advanced controls over the parameters of capture points they can better tailor the experience to specific circumstances. Another example of this is implementing better tracking of crashes. This will allow our programmers to more quickly understand what causes instability at this stage, and will be useful to us both during pre-release testing and post-release.

“Ambushed at short range”

In its current state the game is stable and playable, but this refinement stage is important before we move onto implementations of the pre-game experience such as the main menu, server browser, and account systems which we will be tackling during the final balancing phase as we gear up towards release and distribution.

“OPEN FIRE!”

Developing the game has never been without its challenges and animations have long been a thorn in our side. The CRYENGINE animation system is incredibly powerful, and enables us to manipulate animations dynamically inside the game - but with this power comes complexity. We are looking for new animators to join the team and help us speed up the process, so if you have experience in character animation and would like to be part of the project please get in touch. Experience of the engine is not required.

“Suppressing fire!”

Last weekend also saw team members returning to EGX Rezzed to join the crowds and check out the many indie projects and developers with booths at the event. We had a fantastic time speaking to fellow developers and WWII enthusiasts not to mention sitting down and trying many of the games on display.

That’s all for this state of the game update. We will be continuing our development push over the coming weeks. In the meantime, keep an eye on the forum, official discord channels, and social media.

Last edited:

Simon

Poslano z mojega ONEPLUS A3003 z uporabo Tapatalk

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Can we keep comments clean please. Otherwise will have to resort to moderating folks (which you know we hate doing)

FlyingR

First of all and as always, thank you very much devs! This update is ****ing beautiful!

I'm loving the suppression system, the fact that there's basically no HUD and the lighting! Would've loved to hear the sounds but I'll settle with this! :D

As for a suggestion: I can't really judge because it can barely be seen on the gifs, but generally speaking, many of us would prefer to have the game be sort of slow paced as in realistic, for example Squad or Project Reality since it allows the game to be more tactical and to really feel scared or excited when turning around a corner or opening a door, instead of rushing, running, and shooting and running sideways or in circles all over the place.

For now that is my only and most important concern, the rest I know it's still WIP so there's no point in judging it yet.

Flare

Vanguard Backer
I love it! The no HUD, the animations, the suppression, the models, the maps, everything!

Except the muzzle flashes, too "X" like and too orange. But I hope that'll change.

Awesome work TWDev team. Can't wait to play it.

Flare

Vanguard Backer
First of all and as always, thank you very much devs! This update is ****ing beautiful!

I'm loving the suppression system, the fact that there's basically no HUD and the lighting! Would've loved to hear the sounds but I'll settle with this! :D

As for a suggestion: I can't really judge because it can barely be seen on the gifs, but generally speaking, many of us would prefer to have the game be sort of slow paced as in realistic, for example Squad or Project Reality since it allows the game to be more tactical and to really feel scared or excited when turning around a corner or opening a door, instead of rushing, running, and shooting and running sideways or in circles all over the place.

For now that is my only and most important concern, the rest I know it's still WIP so there's no point in judging it yet.

[MENTION=2433]FlyingR[/MENTION] see my post here: https://www.tractionwars.com/general-discussion/4212-pacing-tw.html#post58734

Extremely nice to see some moving images. And it's looking absolutely awesome.

Little to no HUD, blood clouds for a clear hit indicator: me likey.

Although there is one thing that bothers me: the positioning of the MG-gunner's left hand. I'd expect that man to have third-degree burns from holding the barrel shroud like that.
Is that final [MENTION=1]General Naga[/MENTION]?

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
Although there is one thing that bothers me: the positioning of the MG-gunner's left hand. I'd expect that man to have third-degree burns from holding the barrel shroud like that. Is that final

Everything there is heavily WIP, especially the animations.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Although there is one thing that bothers me: the positioning of the MG-gunner's left hand. I'd expect that man to have third-degree burns from holding the barrel shroud like that.
Is that final [MENTION=1]General Naga[/MENTION]?

The MG34 weapon pose is a placeholder. There won't be any scorched hands when the weapons are finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FlyingR

Maybe I'm mistaken but is it just me or when the bullets hit any surface they produce sparks? I'm sure that this is WIP though.

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
Maybe I'm mistaken but is it just me or when the bullets hit any surface they produce sparks? I'm sure that this is WIP though.

Depends on the surface. A metal surface would create sparks but dirt would produce... well, dirt.

We work with hundreds of textures so there might be some that haven't been setup properly (i.e we haven't defined the properties or type), so they might have the default on them.

FlyingR

Depends on the surface. A metal surface would create sparks but dirt would produce... well, dirt.

We work with hundreds of textures so there might be some that haven't been setup properly (i.e we haven't defined the properties or type), so they might have the default on them.

Ah excellent, thanks for clearing it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.