• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Pionier/Sapper implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniallator

What's their purpose in a game? I mean there's Merville Battery, where engineers are key as they destroy the Vz 14s... but what about other maps? What's there for them to blow up?

Engineers were badly implemented in RO2, where you're usually destroying Czech hedgehogs. Not very rewarding business, because really, how hugely are you helping the team by removing two or three of those things? And IRL, wouldn't you get a dozen guys to push them over rather than blowing them up?

Personally, I love the PR approach, where as an engineer you can destroy any static AA and AT guns using C4. And in PR, unlike RO2, these guns aren't labelled as "destroy" objectives for engineers. They're just there, and it's assumed that you can go about destroying them if you want to. My God, I love that.

In TW, this means allowing pioniers/sappers to destroy AA guns, AT guns, and artillery pieces by setting a satchel charge on the base or barrel of the gun. And again, these guns shouldn't be labelled as objectives of any kind (unless, of course, it's like the Vz 14s in Merville Battery). You should just be able to destroy them. My two cents... please, think on it!

And what about AP (and later AT) mines? Too many games implement these so that when they're set down, the whole mine is exposed. Unrealistic, as IRL ninety percent of the mine is underground. What of the sacred Cutter of Wires? Do we just take them out, make some cuts, and the barbed wire becomes destroyed or something? Pushed aside?

Oh, and I've been meaning to ask (apologies for dragging the thread on), will different grenades have accurate performance? Mills bombs, being fragmentation grenades, need to have a larger fatal radius; in contrast, Stielhandgranaten (being stun grenades) need to have a far smaller fatal radius plus a stun effect, and a longer throwing range. Can we assume we'll see accurate grenade performance in TW? I don't think Mudra will be happy if we don't... don't make the dragon angry...

On a personal note, devs, I'm looking forward to seeing a certain easter egg in Pegasus Bridge... a plate of cookies in a bunker or guard house...

Last edited:

VonMudra

AP mines and satchel charges have already been announced. We will most likely try to implement AT mines when tanks become a major part of the game.

Also, I can confirm that different grenades will have different effects and kill/wound radii, as well as different suppression effects. I am fully aware of these differences, especially the concussion effect of the stick grenades.

We tried to place some cookies, but a rather fat wombat ate all of them. I have Fuchs on lookout for her, and if we track her down, we'll try to make her regurgitate the cookies just for you.

Aniallator

My dreams confirmed :) Very glad to hear that grenades will have the proper performance... has this been done in a game, namely for the Stielhandgranate? Don't think so.

Esu21

But don't make grenades really overpowered or they will rain from the sky like mortar strikes! Also,if I hate anything from FH2 is when the full enemy teams put AP mines everywhere. Playing is impossible. Again,please dont make explosives overpowered :confused:

Aniallator

I'm not sure how it's done in FH2, but in TW only pioniers/sappers get AP mines, and just a few at that. Thus, I don't forsee them as a source of complaint... but who knows.

Devs, don't forget to allow pioniers/sappers to defuse AP and AT mines, enemy and friendly; allow them to take friendly mines once they've been defused.

Sydd

Yeah and also destructible environment if possible, enemy mg team is holding off all entry points in that building? no problem, lets blow a hole and make a new entry point to flank them. It will make the game play really dynamic and fun.

Mars

Pathfinder Games
Other than the grenades, I don't think any of this is planned for Chapter One on account of the reduced scope.

Status
Not open for further replies.