• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Please, no Mumble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oprah

Hey,

I've seen you guys posting about using Mumble for 3D voice chat, although I honestly don't like that idea, and here's why:

1. Mumble is kind of complicated to set up.

2. In Mumble, you can only hear the people that are on Mumble with you. If the voice chat is in-game, you can actually hear your enemies, and your enemies can hear you, making it so much more exciting and realistic.
This also allows you to communicate with strangers on the server.

3. Mumble uses a lot of CPU for some people.

_

I know it's probably easier for you guys to just use mumble, but I implore you, to please add positional voice chat in the game. It just adds so much to the immersion and gameplay.

While I'm at it, I'd also like to suggest that IF you decide to add positional voice chat, to be able to decide your speaking volume with a slider or something, like:

1. Whisper - Can only be heard from a meter or so, and very low volume.
2. Soft speak - Can be heard from a few meters.
3. Normal speak - Can be heard from a normal distance
4. Louder speak - Can be heard from quite a far distance.
5. Loudest - Can be heard from about a 100-150 meters.

Like this: ShackTac ACRE Volume Control
You could set a key to have the slider appear, then modify the loudness with your mousewheel. It would definitely have a dramatic impact on the game, again, making it much more immersive and realistic.

And finally, my last suggestion: Radiomen. They're essential in tactical gameplay.

Troy

Going to bumb this! I have to agree mumble is okay. But its old, its clunky and a nice voice chat in game would be nice because I know that in BF2 around half the server would be on mumble, the other half would be running about whilst you aimlessly shout there name on mumble.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
However VOIP is implemented into the game the important thing is that it's easy for any user to use. Some people will always avoid using VOIP but if you make it easy enough that number will be minimal.

You will always have clans who use external VOIP servers as they want to talk outside of the game so you can't eliminate that entirely but you can made redundant during matches by a superior in-game VOIP if done right.

Hazania

I disagree with being able to hear the enemy, and only for one reason. We don't want to give anyone the opportunity to team up with part of the enemy team in game and go AWOL killing eachothers teams together. But I do think the idea of a radio system across map would be SUPER cool. And if you could run around hearing eachother based on how close you are together? That's wicked awesome. Ive never played a game In my life where I was able to talk in game as if we were in real life standing next to eachother. It's always a team chat or some **** and everybody on the team can hear everybody, so much more tactics goes into distance chatting. This overall shows some AWESOME ideas and I can only hope it will be implemented before release.

Troy

I disagree with being able to hear the enemy, and only for one reason. We don't want to give anyone the opportunity to team up with part of the enemy team in game and go AWOL killing eachothers teams together.

They team up with the enemy and kill their team they will be banned. People would never do that. Being able to hear the enemy is part of the fun. If the enemy are in the building next to your or over a hedgegrow, i want to have to whisper and stop them from hearing me, not being able to shout as much as i want because the enemy would never be able to hear it.

It works great in RnL, on the night maps its awesome, the enemy will be literally walking on top of you without seeing you and the group your with will be whispering and trying to conceal what they are saying to a confined area.

Hazania

Yeah that sounds pretty cool, it's like never been done before though so if this game is able to pull something like that off it's going to make it BIG.

I personally like Intruder's radio system. It seems to be similar to ACRE mod for Arma 2, in that you can hear someone using their radio from enemy side. However, there aren't nine or a hundred channels, but rather just one channel for your teammates to funnel through. Then there's a local chat which they can also hear, that just doesn't use the radio. Maybe an extra channel for squads or a command channel for communication between SLs/corporal commander, and it'd be near perfect. Sure beats having to use an external VOIP system at least, no?

Troy

I personally like Intruder's radio system. It seems to be similar to ACRE mod for Arma 2, in that you can hear someone using their radio from enemy side. However, there aren't nine or a hundred channels, but rather just one channel for your teammates to funnel through. Then there's a local chat which they can also hear, that just doesn't use the radio. Maybe an extra channel for squads or a command channel for communication between SLs/corporal commander, and it'd be near perfect. Sure beats having to use an external VOIP system at least, no?

That would be cool! Acre is very complex with its radio's 2 radio's with idk 3 channels each and a volume control would be awesome.

Duke

Yes, the only problem with Mumble would be.... Mumble. Users have to download it, install it, set it up and join the right server, IF THEY WANT TO!

With 3D voice chat, if someone speaks English he will talk back, if not he is not a real team player and you don't need him.
Also hearing the enemy at close ranges is awesome, I just love the feeling when you sneak up on someone in RnL and you say "Drop your gun or die!" or whisper him "I am so close!" and watch them freaking out.

Last thing, with 3D voice chat you can make squads as you wish, when you wish, like : You spawn with 4 team members and you just tell them to follow you, or to attack the A, B... objective.

Pleeeeeeease add 3D voice chat, this would be the 3rd or 4th game with a feature like that, if you don't thinks that 3D chat is awesome then spend 15-20 hours in Resistance and Liberation!

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
The thing is, 3D voice chat in a single channel can be quite unfair, and unrealistic. As you can easily understand what the other guys are saying, which wouldn't always be possible in real life...

hannibaldinski

TW Developer
I would love a system like 3D voice chat. Never played a game that had a feature like that. But i can imagine some epic scenarios.

And yes its unrealistic because probably a lot of people speak English. But you can create your own code language or something. So in an other way it makes in realistic again. Try to give someone an order who is 50 meters away. Shouting in your mic and stuff xD

Duke

As you can easily understand what the other guys are saying, which wouldn't always be possible in real life...
Complete nonsense, Sir! How the hell could be 3d Voice chat more unrealistic than a 'everyone can hear everyone' teamspeak, or a software like Teamspeak, Skype, Mumble. I mean NOTHING ELSE could get more distorted (interrupted by explosions, shooting) than the 3D voice chat during the battles, since you can turn down the game volume when using mumble and leave Mumble voice up (In Windows Volume Mixer) But you can't adjust the 3d voice chat. Plus the further your teammate is the less you can hear him.

Just think before you post something like this, or just try RnL as I suggested for players with no experience with 3D V.C.

Unrealistic?! Trough how many channels can you speak on the battlefield without a radio?! ONE, and that channel is the air!

3D voice chat is exactly the most realistic possible solution, since in real life you can talk only to those who are close to you and your voice comes from the mouth of your avatar (soldier).

Please think about it....

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
^It's not the distortion that's unrealistic, it's the language. I doubt that many Brits would be able to perfectly understand what the Germans on the other side of the door are talking about in WWII... It can make for some funny situations, but it's not always beneficial.

I did play RnL, and in fact I still do occasionally, but everyone is usually just derping around in 3D voice chat (the "Ja!Ja!Kill Amerikanische truppe!" crowd). I guess it needs a clan to fully enjoy it. (it's probably the consequence of small community, and not-so-strict admins, or inexistent admins most of the time).

Also, you need to think about the trolls. If there is no way to mute people, or to lower the sound people might leave the game because of bad experiences.

Duke

Just think before you post something like this

You just did it again! xD

1. Again, you can't change players' language with different voicechats

2. Trolls and Derps.... !votekick is possible since first time I have played online and I bet that a simple thing like !votemute is possible. Admins can ban the Trolls as i do banning them for a week is a solution.

3. As I see you want a mute game like BF3, BFBC or COD

4. This is not WW2, this is Traction Wars, a realistic shooter GAME, I understand that Germans and Brits were talking different languages, but this game has so many unrealistic features that are needed (minimap, respawn, text chat) that I am sure that this thing WILL NOT RUIN IT!

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
We're aware off the fact that some will most likely troll (as in any game, really), and having an open voice-chat will obviously be a problem unless we come up with a clever idea to prevent this from happening.

That being said, it really comes down to implementation too I reckon; as a !votemute would be the easiest approach to solving that problem, it wouldn't necessarily be what we're doing in the end - again, we'll need to look at some different ways of preventing people (literally) abusing a voice-chat system which is such an important feature in a realism game.

Maniche

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
You just did it again! xD

1. Again, you can't change players' language with different voicechats

2. Trolls and Derps.... !votekick is possible since first time I have played online and I bet that a simple thing like !votemute is possible. Admins can ban the Trolls as i do banning them for a week is a solution.

3. As I see you want a mute game like BF3, BFBC or COD

4. This is not WW2, this is Traction Wars, a realistic shooter GAME, I understand that Germans and Brits were talking different languages, but this game has so many unrealistic features that are needed (minimap, respawn, text chat) that I am sure that this thing WILL NOT RUIN IT!

1. That's exactly the problem. If you can't get the Germans speaking German when I play as British, my immersion will suffer. If I can't hear their chatting but only the in-game voice-acting my immersion will improve. Same goes for the other side.

2. You are counting on admins being always online which is impossible. Also the usual issue with !votekick or !votemute... It can be abused by trolls too... I see it every time on Mount and Blade servers and more. Also, what if the troll brings some friends that refuse to vote against him?

3. I haven't played BF 3 since alpha (in fact I got it only today on Humble Bundle because it's for charity, otherwise I would have never bought it). I only played BFBC singleplayer, and I haven't played COD since COD4 (and even that wasn't for long)... So yeah... You're totally wrong...

4. Who said there is gonna be a minimap? Or text chat? None of the work is currently final AFAIK...

Don't get me wrong, I think 3D VOIP is the best thing invented since sliced bread, I'm just pointing out it does have its downsides.

Duke

2. I see, but still the dev should not "kill" the idea of 3D Voice chat, because Trols will trol if they want to, in chat, teamspeak....

3. Ok, try to play BF3, it sucks, it lack teamwork because there is no teamspeak. I am glad that i was wrong!

4. Devs did.

Please if you liked 3D V.C. in RnL, don't point its downsides xD the devs don't have to know about them xD

Have a nice day!

Winston_

I would really like something implemented into the game because my computer doesn't seem to accept Mumble (Very annoying when playing project reality D:<).

For the arguement of being able to change volume, use your audio settings. For the arguement of trolls, yeah, they will troll if they wanna, but I like the Arma way (and probably many other games' way) of muting people. I'd also hope muting means if they're still talking when you mute them, it still shuts them up. Also it'd be nice if muting applied to chat and VOIP.

Duke

I was thinking a lot how to solve the English can understand Germans problem in Local voice chat. One of the silly Ideas I got is:
1. The local chat would be only transmitted to teammates. Enemies in mic range could hear some random mumbling or inaudible speech.

I don't think that this is possible but..... :D

Mumble works really good in Project Reality, only remaining issue is that you have to launch it, this means that few players won't be able to hear us. Mumble is great in Project Reality, I would be more than happy with a system like that, even tho it is unrealistic (Team voice chat and squad voice chat, local can not be heard by enemies.)

Status
Not open for further replies.