• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Sherman Fire Fly - WIP/Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin385

Ok,

Before i Get started posting pictures of my progress. I just would like to say - Thank you Traction Wars Team for considering me as a contributor - With that said.

I am posting the Progress of my Sherman Firefly. I am Currently Working on the turret and the body In blender 3D.

I encourage comments and Critique of my work. :)

Especially since this is my First tank model.

Now On to the somewhat Pretty Pictures

Remember This is my First Tank - an as you can tell it is still a work in progress

Be Gentle!

Benjamin385

Thanks Sir Apple -

I have been working really hard the past few hours on this :)

I will show off the body now - Please note this is also a heavy WIP

Sir Apple

I know there are certain aspects you may still be blocking out so I won't go super in depth.

But from what I can see so far;

The tank chasis itself is to thin and should be widened a bit. Also the turret is to high and needs to be larger, but not as tall.

Keep in mind, its important to gather many many reference pictures of the real deal. When I do a model I normally gather around 50 reference pictures of the subject :) Schematics are only good for blocking in the shapes and getting the basic form.

Benjamin385

I know there are certain aspects you may still be blocking out so I won't go super in depth.

But from what I can see so far;

The tank chasis itself is to thin and should be widened a bit. Also the turret is to high and needs to be larger, but not as tall.

Keep in mind, its important to gather many many reference pictures of the real deal. When I do a model I normally gather around 50 reference pictures of the subject :) Schematics are only good for blocking in the shapes and getting the basic form.

Ok,

by widened do you mean Length, width, or height?

As for the referance images - Thank you for the heads up :)

Benjamin385

Ok,

Oh BTW - Should i make this one object?

I am not sure about moving part or how they will work.

If some one could tell me I can begin work on the treads.
This is just so that I do not have to worry about making it entirely over again.

Last edited:

Benjamin385

I think that i Screwed up the Back of the hull :S

Going to try and fix it -

If any one has any general thoughts, Criticism, etc.

let me know :)

Benjamin385

Ok,

If anyone has ANY referances of the rear armor of the firefly it would be appreciated.

I am finding allot of Conflicting Reference images

Sir Apple

Maybe this paintover will help a bit. You need to really pay close attention to parts and their sizes, where they meet on the real life tank and put that into the model. When modeling its important to have a mechanical mind and be able to break the subject down into parts - it takes practice and a patient eye.

Sir Apple

Also for references just type in "Sherman V" for google images. Its the same tank minus a different gun ;)

Benjamin385

Bit of a updated image - I have yet to dip the Edge But here is what I have -

BTW thanks guys for all of the help :)

I have got a few friends really looking forward towards this mod.

Benjamin385

Update -

Please Comment :)

Oh BTW - I have a question In regards to moving parts on this mesh.

What should i do regarding joining/Merging the various meshes?

I just want to make this as easy for the rigger as humanly possible.

and what format should i export this as? (.FBX, collada, etc.)

BTW More pics inbound

Once again feel free to correct me if I have made any mistakes :)

Sir Apple

By chamfering I meant like this :)

The entire side isn't chamfered. The chamfer is a wide chamfer and starts about halfway down the side. It starts out straight and slowly gravitates downward. The blue lines in the images show the straight areas and the red square is the chamfer and you can see how it goes from straight to a steady downward chamfer.

Apple

Benjamin385

By chamfering I meant like this :)

The entire side isn't chamfered. The chamfer is a wide chamfer and starts about halfway down the side. It starts out straight and slowly gravitates downward. The blue lines in the images show the straight areas and the red square is the chamfer and you can see how it goes from straight to a steady downward chamfer.

Apple

DOH,

I knew i was doing something wrong :p

Well, best get some sleep and resume in the morning. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.