• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Steam Summer Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
It's that time again folks, the annual Steam Summer sale where us PC gamers can throw money at the screen and get a lot more back for it. This year it seems Valve have thrown the new Steam Trading Cards into the mix as you can gain them as you spend, although - like the rest of Steam trading cards - I'm not too sure how that works. But what I do know is that there is already a large amount on sale to keep you busy for weeks. So this thread can be a home to express what you happen to pick up in the sale and to promote what you think everyone else should play for a very small amount of money.

Here's a few of the top deals from today, including Bioshock Infinite at a very healthy 50% off. There's also the traditional splurge of Valve discounts, including CS:GO, Left 4 Dead 2, every Half Life game for £13.50 and the best source mod in my eyes, Garry's Mod for a nice £3.

Other big names include Dragon Age, Skyrim, Grid 2, FTL and Fuel. Also worth a mention to Hotline Miami for £1.74, Plants vs Zombies for £3.49, Bioshock and Bioshock 2 for £3.49 each. However the best deal I've found so far is 50% Euro Truck Simulator which you can pick up for £2.99! What's not to love about a "faithful reproduction of driving trucks on the European road" at a low price!

So what are you looking to pickup? Or hoping will appear in the daily flash sales?

(Apologies for my prices being in GBP, sure the deals are similar in other regions.)

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
No complaints about GBP ;)

I'd highly recommend Bioshock: Infinite to anyone. Game of the year for me so far.

Also worth a look in my opinion is FTL which is a really addictive game for one so simple. Should especially appeal to any browncoats or closet purple-bellys in the community.

Troy

Gabe has been good to us.

_Franky_

I've mainly invested in some independent titles so far, FTL, Thomas Was Alone, Antichamber, Hotline Miami. And Duke Nukem 3D just for the hell of it :)

Also STEAMCARDS!! 8) What an addictive little evil scheme!

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
Far Cry 3 is on offer for just £12, which is a very solid and enjoyable game, highly recomend that one. Also Just Cause 2, which is quite possibly the most fun open world game ever created, and it's only £2!

I also highly recommend The Walking Dead with 75% off which manages to capture the comics and TV show very well, and XCOM: Enemy Unknown also at 75% discount. Surgeon Simulator 2013 is also on offer at 66% off and you should buy it because it is completely strange and hilarious game.

_Franky_

Also, Fez is up for 50% off, support my local Montreal developers! :) And as Cal mentioned, Just Cause 2 for that price is a steal. If you don't own it already, don't think and just buy it. One of my favorite games of all time!

Last edited:

_Franky_

Hey guys, I thought I'd leave some impressions of the titles I've purchased and/or played during the summer sale so far. ;)

If anyone is tempted by FTL (Faster Than Light), I'd say go for it. It got me hooked instantly after playing for a bit. It's unlike anything else I ever played. :D The game is about making a journey through the galaxy and managing your crew and your ship as well as possible. The story never plays out the same since it is non linear and generates different routes on every playthrough. There are decisions to make and sometimes it is better to be non-confrontational in order to make it to the end of your journey in one piece. And for that matter, it will take a bunch of attempts before you actually make it to the end of the journey.

Other than that, The Walking Dead is also good fun if you want to call it that. Some good story telling, interesting characters and difficult decisions await. Totally worth it :)

Hotline Miami is hard as nails and you will die a million times since it is pretty much one hit kills, but also a load of fun. Also has a fantastic soundtrack and the overall vibe is like Scarface on LSD.

Bastion is fantastic too, don't even think twice, just buy it. Again, fantastic soundtrack and music. Actually I bought it a long time ago and only really got into it now.

Antichamber is really strange and has already made me question my sanity within the first 5 minutes. Haven't played that much, so I cant give much info.

And Duke Nukem 3D still holds up, if you are tempted, get it.

Thomas Was Alone is a very stylized and simplistic platform puzzler of sorts. You guide rectangles around a level. Surprisingly enough, it has a really deep and involving story. Weird. It was recommended to me by a friend who is a writer at Eidos Montreal. He said "Just buy it", so I did. Not disappointed so far, especially for the price.

Mark of the Ninja is great too, very playable and beautiful to look at. Very stealthy, sneaky and stabby fun. :)

Pixeljunk Eden is fantastic as well. If you never played it on PS3, it is even better with the new control scheme on PC. Very engaging and addictive. And yet again, a fantastic soundtrack.

So there you go, I thought it would be good to give some impressions of lesser known games since we all know what the big budget titles are about. And a common trait I noticed about a lot of these games is that they have such amazing music, it is worth buying them for that alone. And a lot of the games where I mentioned that fact, you can actually buy a soundtrack edition that includes all the songs for your listening pleasure.

So enjoy the rest of the sale if you are not broke yet.

I am currently still tempted by Monaco and System Shock 2. Any opinions one those?

I bought way too many games this summer sale haha. $140 spent 8|

Kerbal Space Program, Dishonored + DLC, Wargame Franchise, GTA 4 Complete, FTL, Fallout: NV Ultimate, Fallout 3 GOTY, Arma 2: CO, BL2 Season Pass + Psycho Pack, Hotline Miami, Walking Dead, Saints Row: The Third, Dark Souls, and Skyrim Legendary.

chad509

I got borderlands 2, I wasn't a huge fan of the first but it seems like they hit my "gaming bone" with the sequel. Except claptrap, I hate that ****ing thing. I also got gta4, I already own the game but I wanted to have it on steam. :D

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I ended up with StarDrive, Borderlands 2 & Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon along with a few others. Pretty good sale I'd say :)

Sir Apple

Someone said Rockstar has a fix for it. I don't know if thats true - I should be able to find something out to fix it though.

_Franky_

I'm still more than happy to stick with Win7. Every time I hear about more compatibility issues with older software just reinforces the feeling... :|

Status
Not open for further replies.