• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Suppression effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
I would first like to congratulate the Vanguard team for bringing the game one step closer to reality. You're doing mighty fine work!

While I generally don't (yet) mind the "heavy" vignette and screen darkening I have noticed the comments of concerned players and potential players that the effects are a bit too harsh to ensure enjoyable gameplay.

I personally believe that most shooter games fail to portray the actual effect of being shot at, and generally fall short in their implementations because they try to do it the "wrong" way or don't do it at all (Call Of Duty, I'm looking at you :p).

Keeping in mind the players expectations for Vanguard: Normandy 1944 I'd suggest you guys think very carefully how do you want to do suppression to ensure the game gets enough players that stick to it and not get annoyed by constantly looking at a blurry, dark mess :)

One suggestion I have based on the footage I've seen so far would be to tone down the suppression and remove the blur around the center of the player's screen.
That way players won't feel "defenseless", just impaired with sort of a "tunnel-vision" which means they could get flanked easily but still return fire if they know exaclty where the enemy is.

For throwing off the suppressed players' aim I'd go for the solution that Resistance and Liberation and RO pioneered with random twitching motions as the bullets fly by.

The darkening can (and should) stay to simulate blinking but it might be a bit quicker to return to normal, unless the player is under heavy fire from an automatic weapon

Generally, I'd like to see the team rely more on sound effects (heavy breathing, heart-beating, ringing in the ears from nearby explosions) to disorient the player getting shot at. Don't underestimate the power of sound on the human psyche!

Also, upping the penalty for dying should be enough to stop some players' bravado in returning fire at all costs while getting shot at.

I hope you will take this advice into consideration. Wish you all the best of luck in the upcoming Early Access release!

Xanderman

Vanguard Backer
I agree to a certain extent, mainly to do with the level of blur on screen when suppressed but for the most part I do actually like the suppression system implemented as it reminds me of BF3 and RO2. I think the random twitch motions from near misses would be a great addition along with greater audio feedback from the character as a whole (swearing/shouting, unsteady/heavy breathing, ringing ears, etc).

One thing I'd like to see is death animations and dialogue. RO2 did this perfectly which is why me and my mates refer to it as PTSD simulator. Seeing a soldier slowly bleed out, screaming for his mother while he hopelessly tries to stop the bleeding adds a massive amount of immersion to any shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.