• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

The Official Traction Wars Olympic Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
After waiting over a week for someone to make a thread about it, here is The Official Traction Wars Olympic Discussion Thread, sponsored by McDonalds.*

I think we should have had a typically British Olympics. Just because you host something in a country doesn't mean you're embracing all of they're customs and cultures. After all, Usain Bolt will look the same on any running track when the cameras pointed at the ground. I think we should have embraced the British ways, with events like the 50 Gallon Tea Drink, 10,000 Meter Queuing and the 100 Meter Moan-About-How-Much-of-a-waste-of-money-all-this-is. But they didn't let me on the Olympic committee, so none of these happened.

The medal table (07/08 - 19:00 gmt):

CountryGSBTotal
1China32191465
2USA29151963
3UK19121243
4Korea115622
5France891027
6Russia7171842
7Italy76417
8Kazakhstan6-17
9Germany511723
10Netherlands43411

It's the usual battle between China and USA at the minute at the top with the UK in third, which isn't bad considering the size of the country compared to that of China and USA. Seems a little unfair that the table only takes the golds into account, as Russia is in 10[SUP]th[/SUP] with 27 medals, but DPR Korea are in 9[SUP]th[/SUP] with only 5.

But currently London 2012 has been full of surprises with records smashed.

My personal highlights so far have been the tennis with Andy Murray, the women's Gymnastics where the USA pipped Russia in the final routine, just now when Jessia Ennis won the heptathlon, and Michael Phelps hanging up his swimming trunks for good. Though you can't blame him, with 18 Olympic gold medals and when no one can possibly match you, why carry on?

The negative bit was where several players were disqualified for trying to throw their matches to get an easier draw in the next round. Horrible.

So it doesn't matter if you wince at the very mention of the games or you haven't taken your eyes off the tele, how's the Olympics going for you?

*It's not actually sponsored by McDonalds, please don't sue me. I want to live to see the next Olympics, then you can do as you wish.

Last edited:

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Just saw the 10,000m mens final. Incredible sight and another medal for GBR. I agree with the commentator - the olympics should always be in London, it clearly does good things to our athletes :)

Highlights are too numerous to mention. The Phelps and Lochte (is that right?) battle, the rowing, sailing (obviously), swimming.

Jessica Ennis was incredible though. what a way to end a great event.

The Mens Pursuit Race final was also good :) GBR vs. USA.

brrr

TW Developer
It really is great to see the Olympics this year I've been enjoying it on TV for the last week now though I would have love to have been there in person.

Theoretically in terms of population vereses medals won - Britian is leading. Naturally China has alot of golds and thats great for them but we all have to remember there population is over 1 billion so they have a large amount of people to choose from when it comes to talent selection for events.

Hopefully we can keep our third medal place in the overall leader boards unlike last time where we got pushed back to fourth at the last minute :(.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Fingers crossed!

The sailing should be good watching tomorrow. With the Finn class in particular being a really tight race between GBR and DEN in what has to be probably the biggest grudge match of the games after Phelps vs. Lochte :)

Last edited:

volcol

I'm enjoying the fact we're third, we are a nation of some 70m people (maybe less) a nation like china, that was 1bn or so, holds just about twice the number of medals we do ... please! We're doing really well!

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
Updated the medal table. The USA has overtaken China at the top, with the rest of the table remaining the same. Last night was great for British athletics with Britain winning 3 golds in the long jump, heptathlon and men's 10,000 meters last night. The USA pipped Japan to gold in the 4x100 relay, with Micheal Phelps winning his 18th and last Olympic gold medal.

I will admit I wasn't too excited about the games before they started. I've never really watched the Olympics with such an interest before, but for some reason I just am hooked! Team GB are doing really well, apart from in the men's football which we lost last night. It's probably really bad of me to be happy that they're out; mainly because men's football isn't an event that's even remotely interesting as it's on every single week. Anyway, to completely obliterate that argument, come on Murray!

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Murray takes Gold! Spectacular finale to the Mens Singles in which Murray dominated his arch-rival of Wimbledon.

In other news I can report (almost) live from the Olympic Sailing course in Weymouth that Ben Ainsle of GBR is officially the best Olympic sailor of all time with 4 Gold medals and a silver. Taking the record from the Danes who held the last record of 4 Golds and a bronze. A nerve wracking race which had everyone watching in Weymouth (me included) on the edge of their seats. Victory was snatched from defeat for Ainsle in the last 2 minutes as the New Zealand sailor took out the Netherlands on the final leg by forcing him to infringe his boat resulting in a penalty. Ainsle 9th in the final race and wins overall in a tie break on points. WHAT A RACE!

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
Was so pleased that Murray won! It's not like Federer to be beaten so easily. Though I suppose the crowd would have been helping Murray a lot, even more so than at Wimbledon. Shame about the mixed doubles, but it was kinda harsh to have him come back out to play another final an hour after the last :p

Anyway, in non-British news (I feel the British are overtaking this thread a little :p) Usain Bolt won the men's 100m, though I don't think anyone ever really thought he wouldn't. He set the second fastest time in the world; the fastest being held by him as well of course!

There was also Felix Sanchez of Domincan Republic who won gold in the men's 400m hurdles. What made it special was the fact he won the gold in 2004 but not in Beijing, and he's 34. Also Kirani James of Grenada, a country I had never heard of before, won gold in the men's 400m. This one was not only brilliant because it's the first time he has competed in the Olympics at only 19, but also because Grenada have never won a medal before. Well done Kirani, you'll need a medal cabinet now.

Today the men's triathlon was won by another Brit Alistar Brownlee, and his brother got the bronze, so you know who'll be getting the nice Christmas presents in that family. And I'm currently watching the women's team table tennis between China and Japan. It is freakin' insane.

In non-athletic news a fan who has attended every day of the games died after collapsing at the velodrome. A true sporting fan really.
BBC News - Olympic fan Conrad Readman dies after collapsing at velodrome
The medal table has been updated. Russia have finally been rewarded by having such a high medal count, the UK have reached their Beijing gold total of 19, and Germany enter the top 10 with 23 medals, still being beaten by Kazahkstan with their six golds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.