• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Thoughts on fallout 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydd

So, I am wondering how many of us have bought this game, I had the budget to purchase 2 games after building a high end rig and I went ahead and pre ordered Hitman and Assassin's creed, learnt about fall out 4 and submitted a ticket for refund on Assassins creed, so just to be sure, is the game any good? Also I have never played the previous FO games, just like the Elder scrolls games before skyrim so do I need to play the ones before this or can I jump right ahead with FO?

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Well I've never played any of the Fallout games but I have bought Fallout 4. So I'm coiming to the franchise completely fresh.

I'm enjoying it but I wouldn't necessarily say it's a must buy game. Depends what you like. The basic premise is the same as Skyrim. Big open world which you are thrown into after a heavily story driven intro.

The game is a bit buggy in places but I do like the crafting / building element. It's an open world game so I guess people will play it in their own way. Myself I'm done a bit of storyline but I've spent more time building so far.

Without giving away any real spoilers you end up looking after an old village a few hours into the game. As far as I can tell you can completely ignore them or you can scavange junk from the wilderness to build up a little community with food, water, power and defenses from raiders. The building interface is a bit clucky but you can do some fun things (like building a tower to act as a sniper's nest during an attack). You can ally with more settlements by completing more quests (which always seem to involve wiping out a load of bad guys).

The rest of the world I've hardly explored. Inventory management is a bit of a chore as you just want to pick up everything (as basically anything can be scrapped and turned into component parts - which might be used to build a siren to alert your settlers of an attack, an automated laser turret or maybe just a water purifier).

You can also craft weapon mods to swap most parts of your weapons around to change it's characteristics. It all takes resources though which means more scavenging and hunting in every corner of the places you discover.

If you enjoy that kind of thing I can see it being a game some people will sink hundreds of hours into. Just like Skyrim.

Aniallator

I haven't bought Fallout 4, and to be honest I was turned off by the Fallout games. For me, the setting for the games just seems too extreme.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
It did take a bit of getting used to. The whole of society has broken down and apart from a few pockets of "civilised" people I've found the whole world littered with aggressive gangs who attack the player on sight. It's feudal with machine guns.

Never was really into Fallout. I've seen a few videos on Youtube and found that the graphics haven't really changed since FO3 or FONV.

So it's still a meh from me.

By the way [MENTION=1]General Naga[/MENTION] is your messages folder full?

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
[MENTION=1183]th_battleaxe[/MENTION] - I don't think so... I'll check when I'm back at a PC.

volcol

I'm enjoying it - had to alter the default FoV and the FPS cap. My only major issue with it atm is the collision meshes are really quite terrible. Got stuck on wooden boxes etc a few times.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Also Mr Handyman struggles with stairs which is a bit of a flaw when you need his help on the roof of a tall building.

Sydd

Interesting, I have Mudra on my steam list and he's already clocked in like 80 hours... saw the trailers, saw the reviews figured I may as well buy this one, majority of the skyrim modding community is making a shift to FO4 already so in a couple of months we can see a truck load of great mods coming out, and did you say same as skyrim?

*Throws a gold plated camel at Bethesda* Take my money!
[MENTION=2108]Aniallator[/MENTION] That is exactly why I was skeptical about purchasing the New vegas title.But watching the trailers, the hype I got curious and wondered what could be so special about this particular title.

Last edited:

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Perhaps folks can share their preferred ini tweaks? Might be useful to anyone buying the game to know from the start what people have found works :)

volcol

My issue with the FoV is it's much more adapted to consoles ( something like 55-60) doesn't work too well with PC screens - esp as I've a large screen quite close to me. I set it to 90, problem solved :D

FlyingR

I was really never into games like Skyrim or Fallout mainly because I play FPS (and my computer can't run anything else), although I did see Bluedrake42 play it for a bit and it does seem like a nice game but still not my type, do any of you record it or have some game footage?

Are the graphics really that good as they say?

Sydd

I was really never into games like Skyrim or Fallout mainly because I play FPS (and my computer can't run anything else), although I did see Bluedrake42 play it for a bit and it does seem like a nice game but still not my type, do any of you record it or have some game footage?

Are the graphics really that good as they say?

Errr, dude. FO4 does have elements of FPS, if you ask me... I'd say its like playing a hybrid between maybe far cry and skyrim. But you knew that, as for the graphics, its good, but my views are solely based on comparing the skyrim default game to the fo4 default game, I dont know how it fares when compared to its predecessors, but the graphics are amazing and even if it isn't texture overhaul mods shouldn't be far off.

Btw, I purchased the season pass as well, does that mean that I am able to have access to all future dlc's? Or a select few?

FlyingR

Errr, dude. FO4 does have elements of FPS, if you ask me... I'd say its like playing a hybrid between maybe far cry and skyrim. But you knew that, as for the graphics, its good, but my views are solely based on comparing the skyrim default game to the fo4 default game, I dont know how it fares when compared to its predecessors, but the graphics are amazing and even if it isn't texture overhaul mods shouldn't be far off.

Btw, I purchased the season pass as well, does that mean that I am able to have access to all future dlc's? Or a select few?

You're right, what I meant was as in I play FPS such as PR, BF, etc.

I kind of agree with DerJoachim as it is sort of overrated. It's too much fantasy for me.

Sydd

Oh hell yes it is overrated, I bought it with barely any expectations so I'm enjoying it. It does have many flaws tho, main storyline was okayish but i felt it could have been longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.