• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

WW2 online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller786

Hello guys,
just wanted to know what do you think about it, do you like/dislike it? Why?
Are you subbed or f2p?
Share your good/terrible experiences with the game!
Also, who's the guy that worked on it in the dev team?What can you tell us from behind the scenes? xD

volcol

I first started playing wwiionline back in 2006, it's one of the best games I've ever played. I've been working with them for nearly 4 years now - obviously I cant tell you whats going on behind the scenes! but there's stuff happening.

I'd never really gamed much online until I started playing it, my first battle was in Verdun at the bottom of the map - must have been 600 vs 600 players on, and it was immense. Sadly numbers don't quite reach that any more, but it's still fun with 200 or so people fighting for towns and cities. I've had some great experiences in game, and it shows - I can average a KD per campaign of anywhere from 3.0 to 8.0 (1.5 is considered about average)

My favorite ever sortie, 5 years ago - my 18th Birthday to be exact! there was a free to play event going live and a lot of new guys came on board, numbers were high ... and I was defending the land between Hasselt and the near by enemy forward base. I set up my Mg34 and racked up perhaps 17 kills and a few truck kills before running out of ammunition. I was in the high command at the time - and waaaay back in the day, high commanders had overly tight fitting officer uniforms ... I charge the next truck load of british soldiers (mostly new guys) using my luger, killing the driver and 7 of the 11 occupants - pulled my knife and killed a further 3 (the knife is about as useful as a paperclip in wwiionline) before getting nailed by the latter.

Since, I've become pretty skilled in most weapons - rifles - smgs, anti tank guns, anti air - tank vs tank etc. It's a stupidly difficult game - I still panic and get killed even after 8 years.

Graphically, it's not great - infact it's pretty dismal in places (and its very difficult to work with) but hell - it's not the graphics that count, it's the game play and I haven't found as good a fight as ww2 online in... say, call of duty, or red orchestra. Just wish I had more time to jump in and cause havok.

Strayferret

I got almost the same history as volcol got with ww2ol. Though ofcourse not as part of the devteam there. and Im not very good at it either :D It is however a very gripping game. In other games, its almost just enter the game, play, die, respawn, until the timer runs out.. Kinda. But in ww2ol you value every life differently. From catching the trucks on your side, to being delivered to the front and sneaking to the objective. Its such a thrill. I do however prefer catching a french tank, they're really awesome in their own little way.

Pjosip

Vanguard Backer
Wait wasn't WW2 Onlone subsscription only before?
Or did I miss a big play 4 free button?

Well I found it now and I am going to give it another try, I liked it before, even while still seeing limited stuff and having limited knowlage.

EDIT
I also noticed that free 2 play users are limoted when it comes to guns and etc?

volcol

The free to play allows riflemen and smgs, and some basic vehicles. However there are unlock events fairly often. Some nice events coming up this year to mark campaign 100 - only took 13 years :D

Pjosip

Vanguard Backer
@volcol
I am not able to play with my old (2 week trial) account without paying o_O
Is that normal, is the "free" part still only for 2 weeks?

volcol

Ah, likely a special event then - there are events every few weeks - unlocking smg's semi autos lmgs etc

Andy_AUS

Hi all,

Just wanted to give my impression on the trending nature of how much the gaming community hate to pay for DLC or games for that matter. I personally would be happy to send some money to the devs to keep adding content, at least the money could go to to buying them a beer for their hard work. Why do so many feel games as a product should be free, after devs have poured hours into it.

I am following the development of traction wars closely and read so many comments how great it is that the game will be free. Are we really all so tight :) Good WW2 FPS games are rare as hell and I put 100's hours into them. I am more than happy to help out future development.

Pjosip

Vanguard Backer
I played WWII online a bit, but it doesen't feel like they did any improvemenrs.
Even only soldier characters on main screen got improved back when I played, the other one still remain, ugly...

Last edited:

Miller786

I enjoy playing wwii online, especially with friends, today ive managed to sink a destroyer with a pak, it ended up i killed some crew members and the destroyer sent me in the skies :(

volcol

It's a toughy, there's a lot of art restrictions etc, but if you can look beyond that and experience some truly ferocious battles - I'm sure you'll find something you like :D

Alex

I don't know why, but it wasn't really my play style. I may give it another try since you brought it up, but I prefer a more "Red Orchestra" pace. ArmA could be an exception.

Miller786

Campaign 100 ended, no more free stuff, im sooooo sad. Hopefully the q&a will reveal something that will make me happy again :(

volcol

There's updates incoming (no idea when) there was a really decent offer going throughout the whole campaign that saved $8-$9 on sub fees. I'm looking forwards to 101 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.