• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Battlefield Communication Ideas/Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sHaKeNbAkE

I apologize in advance if this has already been brought up but as I'm new I thought I would post some ideas/suggestions around the main area I would like to see improved upon in future FPS titles to include hopefully this one. I am very familiar with infantry tactics and communications having served 4 years in the 3/75 Ranger Battalion. I am very surprised to see infantry fps titles with little if any real infantry communication that is seamless in nature. Some have attempted but they are very cumbersome, clunky, and usually ineffective.

Here are some suggestions that I think could be done that would allow direction and coordination on the battlefield and reward/encourage team play:

- Establish rank structure that allows the more experienced players to serve as either a squad leader or platoon leader/sgt.

- Instead of going with a rosette/drop down interface for giving/receiving commands (which can be cumbersome while under fire) I would try and keep it simple.

- VOIP that allows communication with only squad members, entire team, and then ability for squad leaders and platoon leader/commander to communicate with each other.

- Give the squad leaders the ability to set up keys for several simple commands that would go only to their squad members:

# "MOVE THERE!"
# "SUPPRESSIVE FIRE THERE!"
# "SMOKE THERE!"
# "CEASE FIRE!"
# "ON ME!"
# "REINFORCE HERE!" [ this would go to the platoon leader/commander]

- Give all players the ability to set up keys for simple commands such as:

# "ENEMY THERE!"
# "REINFORCE HERE!" [ this would go to the soldiers squad leader indicating they need help]
# "FOLLOW ME!" [ this would go to their squad mates only]

- Give commanders/platoon leaders everything above but give them the ability to select all squads or one particular squad to give commands too.

- So here is how you keep it as simple yet effective as possible and create incentive for players to actually respond...

# Keep the commands minimal yet effective
# Allow players to assign their own hot keys to each command (i.e. keyboard or mouse)
# Use the weapon as the indicator for the command (crosshairs). So if I point my weapon at a location and hit my "MOVE THERE!" key a visual and audible cue will show up on all of my squad members HUD. It will announce I am giving them a command and it will show on their hud which direction to go (maybe on mini map).
# For those squad members who choose to proceed to the general location they should be rewarded (maybe with small amount of XP or something else?)
#Another example....I point and select my "SMOKE THERE!" key. All my squad mates would see on their mini map an indicator showing a small smoke icon and maybe here a verbal cue as well.
#Another example....I am a soldier and I see enemy so I point at enemy and select "ENEMY THERE!" On the mini map your entire team would see an icon in the general area you pointed.
# etc. etc.

I think the key is to keep the commands simple, not too many, easy to initiate even under fire, visual/audible indicators (i.e. on mini map), and create an incentive to actual respond to orders (i.e. XP reward). I like the idea of pointing my weapon at a location and then just hitting the appropriate key linked to a command or/and communication.

I think RO2 has come pretty close to what I describe but it can be cumbersome and there is no incentive given to those players who actually respond to commands.

Well I think I have rambled on way to long but again glad to see your looking for any suggestions.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I prefer either the RO voice commands how that works, or commrose. The keylists for Source games voice commands are annoying.

Maybe just a context sensitive voice button to warn of targets or something, and then a seperate command commrose?

Status
Not open for further replies.