• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Choosing the Leaders/Officers

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingR

I was wondering how would the squad leaders and officers (NCOs/COs) be chosen?

Would it be based on performance? How would you know everyone's performance before the first battle? Maybe do a training session and whether you do really good or in a better time than others you would be selected as one? First come first serve?
Post applications as to why you would be considered better than others? Sleeping with the admins xD?

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
Sleeping with the admins xD?

I can't answer that, haha!

But yeah, it's a delicate thing really when it comes to who gets to play as a NCO but rest assure we're trying a number of different approaches, some conventional and some perhaps a bit more "radical". We'll let you guys know first-hand once something concrete is decided, but we won't know for sure after more rigorous testing!

FlyingR

I can't answer that, haha!

But yeah, it's a delicate thing really when it comes to who gets to play as a NCO but rest assure we're trying a number of different approaches, some conventional and some perhaps a bit more "radical". We'll let you guys know first-hand once something concrete is decided, but we won't know for sure after more rigorous testing!

Roger that mate, thanks for the heads up!

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
I think it would be worth experimenting with a merit based system. Sort of what "field promotions" are in RO2, but it should also take into account player's past history. Teamwork-oriented players that are active in capturing objectives/rearming/repairing/spotting/whatever qualifies as teamwork should get a greater chance of getting into the NCO slot than lone wolves who have no idea how to take actions that benefit the whole team.

FlyingR

And the 'sleeping with the admin' thing, may get you quite far on my server.

(Also why I will never be allowed to be admin.)

Don't beat yourself too hard, one day your dream will come true. :)
[MENTION=421]LuckyOne[/MENTION], sure that sounds good, but what about in the first game? Who would be the leaders? First come, first serve?

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
Don't beat yourself too hard, one day your dream will come true. :)
@LuckyOne, sure that sounds good, but what about in the first game? Who would be the leaders? First come, first serve?

Well, obviously for the very first game everyone would have an equal chance. After that your chance of getting the slot would be the result of combined points from, in order of importance, the ratio of your teamwork-to-other-points stats, player skill (sort of an ELO system?), experience (or whatever it will be used to represent playing time) and so on. Of course, there should be reasonable minimum values to ensure that somebody who just joined the game and earned 10 teamwork points while earning 2 points in other categories (thus having a ratio of 5) can't beat a veteran who has a ratio of 2 but has played the game for 6 months already.

Oh, and also deaths should play some part in the formula, because hero leaders that sacrifice themselves are cool and all but if the spawn system will be somehow tied to their survival, it would not be a good idea to be lead by someone who likes to charge MG nests frontally over and over again.

Of course this is just a suggestion, and I'm sure the devs will choose a system that will best suit the overall goals of the game.

FlyingR

It's a really good suggestion man. In PR you get the most points for helping the team, but killing people will get you only 1 point. As for the deaths, also in PR, you will get wounded. You have the option of waiting for a medic to get you back up or suicide. If you suicide you lose points and the spawn time will be much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.