• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Commo Rose

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingR

I think this topic was discussed briefly a few times but now I want to have a more in-depth discussion about it.

Probably the devs have already found a system for the commo rose, but here is a suggestion of what might seem efficient (most of this has an influence from PR since it's quite good) and of course this would be for Chapter I since there are no vehicles:

Holding "Q" v.1:

commorose1.jpg

This is using a left click/right click system in each option.

Holding "Q" v.2:

commorose2.jpg

In this case, if you right click the option, it would just shout the order but if you left click it it would do the order with the hand.

As for the Center option, I don't know exactly what could go in there, but of course it would be the most important one. I was thinking something like "Identification" or just "ID". It would be a noise or something just like the the "Cricket/Clicker" that the US Airborne used, so that if you are in the dark, woods or in a house and you hear noise close to you, you make this noise (which obviously would be different for the Axis and Allies) so if the other person can answer back or if he doesn't you know he is an enemy. It would be in the center because when you are in that kind of situation, you need to react fast.

Another option is to just not have the circle so that the player can see where he is aiming at.

Maybe have an option for the Section Leader of "Rally Up" or "On Me" and it would appear on the map where the SL is so people can go to him with the compass.

Pjosip

Vanguard Backer
I think it would be nice idea to make any or all call-outs bindable.
Why?

Simple, some players like to have a keyboard or a mouse with a metric ****load of macro keys.
Being able to utilize those keys for easy interaction is awesome.

Aniallator

Here's what I mean by a Verdun-style commo rose:

As you can see, it's really just a small menu. I think it's faster and simpler to use than a normal commo rose because everything's in one neat column, so you don't have to look back and forth across the screen. Instead of having to move your mouse around to select something, you'd just scroll MMB. It's small and fluid like the rest of TW's HUD (apologies for my Paint skills, the gray area would of course be semi-transparent), takes up minimal space in an area of the screen that not already used, and looks pretty good. And of course, left clicking something would speak it, while right clicking it would do the hand signal.

Last edited:

mmiedzianyy

Great ideas guys, all are worth testing and implementing. But imo to sum up pros and cons of commo rose from [MENTION=2433]FlyingR[/MENTION] suggestion and menu [MENTION=2108]Aniallator[/MENTION] idea im more for menu. Commo rose is great about it visual look, but i don't like to give commands by "mouse". During the battle there are many important things going on and i don't want to waste my time on loosing my moving ability just to give orders/commands. Menu activated by buttons i.e. "V" and then navigated by mouse wheel would be great, but for me the best is the standard one from CS or COD operated by 1-9 buttons. Maybe it's a little harder to remember and navigate with the keyboard but you are still operative and ready to fight. For example, you press V and the menu shows up. You press 1 to choose Commands and then something like this shows up:

radio4.jpg

Aniallator

Great ideas guys, all are worth testing and implementing. But imo to sum up pros and cons of commo rose from @FlyingR suggestion and menu @Aniallator idea im more for menu. Commo rose is great about it visual look, but i don't like to give commands by "mouse". During the battle there are many important things going on and i don't want to waste my time on loosing my moving ability just to give orders/commands. Menu activated by buttons i.e. "V" and then navigated by mouse wheel would be great, but for me the best is the standard one from CS or COD operated by 1-9 buttons. Maybe it's a little harder to remember and navigate with the keyboard but you are still operative and ready to fight. For example, you press V and the menu shows up. You press 1 to choose Commands and then something like this shows up:

Yeah, you should be able to bind commands to keys, but I think the function keys would be better because you'll be using the number keys to change equipment/weapons.

FlyingR

Hmmmm with the numbers I like it, but it might be complicated, because numbers is for weapon choosing usually and if they do it like PR, the numpad will be for squad communication and F1-F12 will be for vehicle seating (although no vehicles in Chapter I).

Maybe [MENTION=1505]Pjosip[/MENTION], we could have 2-3 options that we could choose in the menu: commo rose, key binding and side menu or something like that (for a later Chapter of course)?

Aniallator

Hmmmm with the numbers I like it, but it might be complicated, because numbers is for weapon choosing usually and if they do it like PR, the numpad will be for squad communication and F1-F12 will be for vehicle seating (although no vehicles in Chapter I).

Maybe @Pjosip, we could have 2-3 options that we could choose in the menu: commo rose, key binding and side menu or something like that (for a later Chapter of course)?

I wouldn't mind being able to choose between a commo rose and a menu, though I think you should manage key bindings manually so you can have a commo rose and key bindings, or a menu and key bindings, the key bindings being for the voice commands you use often. I don't imagine the right half of the keyboard will really be used, so you could bind keys like B, G, H, et cetera.

FlyingR

I wouldn't mind being able to choose between a commo rose and a menu, though I think you should manage key bindings manually so you can have a commo rose and key bindings, or a menu and key bindings, the key bindings being for the voice commands you use often. I don't imagine the right half of the keyboard will really be used, so you could bind keys like B, G, H, et cetera.

For me, I would want to use just commo rose, I wouldn´t want to start mixing commo rose and key biding, it becomes a hassle in my opinion. It would be nice though, to be able to customize how you want to express your orders/commands.

I would really like to know what kind of system the devs will use!! [MENTION=195]hannibaldinski[/MENTION] please tell us something!

Aniallator

For me, I would want to use just commo rose, I wouldn´t want to start mixing commo rose and key biding, it becomes a hassle in my opinion. It would be nice though, to be able to customize how you want to express your orders/commands.

I would really like to know what kind of system the devs will use!! @hannibaldinski please tell us something!

We do have a CQ coming up :)

mmiedzianyy

You misunderstood me, key binding from 1 to 9 will be only activated when you enable your menu by pressing i.e. V button. Then you would choose from 1. Statements, 2. Commands, enabling each of them would extend the menu for commands like: 1. Yes, 2. No, 3. Follow me, 4. Surpressing fire etc.
Normaly, 1-0 keys would be binded to equipment.

FlyingR

You misunderstood me, key binding from 1 to 9 will be only activated when you enable your menu by pressing i.e. V button. Then you would choose from 1. Statements, 2. Commands, enabling each of them would extend the menu for commands like: 1. Yes, 2. No, 3. Follow me, 4. Surpressing fire etc.

I understand, but a problem I see with this though is for example if there are from 1-0 key options, if you have to from 7-0 keys there you have to remove a hand either from the AWSD or Mouse, especially on a PC keyboard. That is some time lost or distraction that can ruin whatever you are trying to do. Plus I think it can be easy to confuse oneself if you are trying to say "Fall Back" by pressing 8 but by mistake you press 9 which could be "Attack".

The reason I like Commo-Rose it's because it's fast and you don't have to sacrifice either hand to press a button or look to a side to see the command menu. You see where the commands are it is likely that you make a mistake and you can use the system of using left/right click meaning more commands or options.

Aniallator

Ah, thanks for clarifying :) One thing, though; I don't think MMB will be used, as there won't be sight adjustment and I imagine we'll just use the number keys to select weapons. Thus, I think scrolling MMB should open the menu, as it's faster than pressing a key and frees up that key. If there are enough voice commands, then I agree that opening up the menu should show "Commands" and "Statements", and left clicking one of those would show the applicable voice commands.

I understand, but a problem I see with this though is for example if there are from 1-0 key options, if you have to from 7-0 keys there you have to remove a hand either from the AWSD or Mouse, especially on a PC keyboard. That is some time lost or distraction that can ruin whatever you are trying to do. Plus I think it can be easy to confuse oneself if you are trying to say "Fall Back" by pressing 8 but by mistake you press 9 which could be "Attack".

It's possible to press the wrong key, but it's also possible to overshoot the mouse on a commo rose, or scroll too far on a menu. I have an awful habit of doing the former in PR when using the commo rose ;)

The reason I like Commo-Rose it's because it's fast and you don't have to sacrifice either hand to press a button or look to a side to see the command menu. You see where the commands are it is likely that you make a mistake and you can use the system of using left/right click meaning more commands or options.

But a menu is even faster, as you don't have to move the mouse, you just scroll MMB. You are looking to the side of the screen, but IMO that's not an issue, and it's better than having the center of the screen obscured anyway. Of course, that's all my personal preference :)

So, we have...

1. Commo rose, center screen. Open by pressing (for example) V, select voice commands by moving the mouse and left/right clicking them.
2. Menu, left side of screen. Open by scrolling MMB, select voice commands by scrolling MMB and left/right clicking them.

What system you use would be chosen in the settings. In both systems, as long as the commo rose/menu is open, the use of the number keys to select weapons would be disabled and voice commands would be bound to number keys. Players would also be able to bind voice commands to keys of their choosing, so they could use the voice command whenver they want without having to open the commo rose/menu.

Maybe there should be consideration for voice command.

What do you mean voice command?

Status
Not open for further replies.