• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Ideas cont. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Everman

i feel like a personal/silly idea this time. i have wanted to say this on a number of previous world war 2 game builds but never did. so here goes...

dont know about you guys but i was always pumped for the next brothers in arms games. they had a way to really get the true feel of that time period and war. loved these games...but there was something i wish there was more of. a playable section while on the forward operating base (FOB). if you dont know what im talking about watch this video between the time of 11:00 to 15:00. i wanted to be able to play that part so bad because this is when soldiers really communicate with eachother and form a bond. soldiers eat, sleep, and work in the same square mile base for a year. you grow close during that time and pull the craziest pranks to one another.

now where am i going with this. the FOB is the major hub to EVERYTHING in the military. maybe it could be the same for this game. well i suggest that a world war 2 FOB like brother in arms be in this game's as social hub/turtorial map/server deployment hub.

- SOCIAL HUB - if you play APB reloaded you know how popular their social hub is. its a separate map from the battlefields where people can talk to each other, buy stuff, and customize their stuff. this could be the same for this game aside from the customizing. imagine it...you click the games start button and after the loading screen you dropped into a military base. you look around and see soldiers all over the place talking to each other, playing cards, and doing other interactive activities. it would be a great place to meet people.

- TURTORIAL MAP - areas of this map would be designated for training. one area can be a gun range so that you can dial in your skills with any weapon in the armory, both small arms and tanks. but some mechanic would be in place so that the weapons would not be able to be taken from the range so no one can randomly shoot other players. another area would be designated for leaders so they can improve their special leadership abilities weather it be controlling their soldiers or laying down art fire.

- SERVER DEPLOYMENT - maybe a board or something where players would look for openings in battle servers that they can join. you could also make this into a squad forming thing where leaders go around inspecting players stats and then asking them to join their squad. once the leader has his squad filled the leader joins them into a server looking to fill missing squad slots. there could also be a small open field so that the leader can form up his squad into a formation and talk to his squad before joining a server.

Troy

Now, I actually like this idea of having FOB's, maybe there could be a main FOB where everyone spawns in at the start? Perhaps a small team back at the base that can coordinate what each section do.

About the server Deployment idea, I don't think that would work. Each unit will hopefully have there own server so recruiting and skrims etc will be done on there server or the opponents server. Though i'm a little confused as to what you meant by the whole idea? Like a multi unit skrim sort of like a campaign?

Everman

get the game apb reloaded off of steam and you will see what i mean about a social world map. its free too. once in the game and you click the start button it brings you to some world options. there are a couple battlefield worlds and one social world. now the game is based on cops and robbers but when you join the social world, no matter what side you are on, you co exist in this world. it is just a world where both sides can mingle together and go around shopping for items that will better your character or look cooler. personally i like to taunt the other side. it's not that big of a world but on average there is about 150 to 200 people in there at a time.

as for this game instead of it being a world that you can choose to go to or by pass all completely have it be the first thing you load into right away no matter what side you are on. like get ride of the screen that has all those different things to click like start game, options, load game, exit, and so on and just be a soldier placed on a military FOB doing his job. but i know what you are saying "we need that stuff" yes i know and they must be there. theres a simple solution and it's in the FOB itself. understand how the military works, when we go to a FOB there are building/tents everywhere and each one has an important purpose.

- soldier sleep areas
- HQ
- maintenance bays.
- chow hall
- rec area
- and so on

each one of these building/tents can be incorporated into this world as a useful and fun place for the game. right off the bat i would say HQ tent would be for those main screen options. you could even take it a step further and make areas of the tent area buyable for clans/units. it would be their area to hang out before going into battle. by doing this every aspect the game would be a semi realistic military experience.

to be honest troy i really hope they dont have independently owned servers that are clan owned. all the FTP games i play dont have that. only half life games seem to. the ones i have played like APB, TIRE, and DC UNIVERSE dont have privately owned servers. APB even has a group forming mechanic inside the game so that it is doesnt travel outside. plus, when their servers become full their computers generate more to accommodate.

ANYWAYS these boards on the FOB would be something you go up to when your ready to join the fight and a list of servers would pop up. which every one has opening you click and join. kind of like click the "find multiplayer game" in gmod

K. Steine

Don't forget that the servers owned by clans, aren't there just for the sake of it. These servers are used by them so they can do training, and host realisms with other clans, without interference from the public.

Everman

i dont think there should be any servers owned by clans. it takes away the opportunity for these guys to get their money back and make money. getting a server on, lets say, gmod is done through a separate entity and not through gmod themselves. it is also the reason you have to buy gmod instead of it being free. games that are free to pay get their money though things you buy in their store or memberships that get you special perks. this money helps them improve their servers, pay their staff, and help them continue to upgrade the game. letting clans buy their servers would neglect them from getting this money.

K. Steine

Alright. I see your point. None the less; clans... (Letting you know that I hate using the word clan; and feel 10x more comfortable if you referred to them at units.) Solely run their community properly by owning a server. Despite anything, there should be a way for a unit to obtain access to a server for private use; otherwise everything I've lived by in RnL would be a lie; and can't see it working any other way.

Everman

unfortunately i know what your talking about. never liked "units" and have never joined one. like to play on my freedom. being at "unit" meetings, practices, and matches. it's the same reason i dont watch TV on TV. be in front of the tv at this time at this day on this channel...no...too much pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.