• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Medic role idea's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy

A medic system similar to PR and Arma 2 ace would be awesome. Bandages stop people bleading and passing out morphine stops them from passing out because of the pain. Epi keeps them awake med kits fully heal. I had a few idea's on how they could be used in TW.

Bandages, they stop people from bleeding out, but i'm not to keen on the way you just pass out and don't get back up unless a medic saves you. What I had in mind was they would fall over (But can get back up like they have been lying down and have stood up from prone) and have decreased accuracy and maybe some annoying blood splatters popping up on the edge of the screen to imitate a heart beat, just like the one in PR.

Morphine, If you have been shot and bandaged, you would then need morphine. Without morphine your accuracy would decrease a huge amount and your screen would flash white instead of red.

Epinephrine, if you have been blown up or shot so that it didn't kill you but you didn't stay awake. Epi would basically help them wake up if they cannot on there own.

Medkits, will fully heal the player but only when he has been tended to with Morphine and bandages.

I had also thought about the medics roles in the team, there would be a basic medic carrying morphine and bandages, he would be in each section.
Then there would be a platoon medic who carries all med supplies, he would normally be sitting at a casualty collection point or sat at the back waiting for the wounded.

Also, the option to carry/drag people would be needed also to carry the knocked out wounded back to a platoon medic.

Roughbeak

Good post Troy. :)

How about this: the medic man has the bag (one button you press to get at it), then inside the "bag" you press a key that displays all the items inside the bag, thus> you pick the item you want, either some bandages, morphine, epipen, etc.
It's like real life, the medic man takes out the bag then he picks what he needs, better yet> provide animations> digging through the bag to get at an item.

This would keep a simple package, yet providing realism along the way. :D

Sir Apple

Its tough because both those games you mentioned, PR and Arma 2, or more or less combat simulation games. For example, in PR the respawn times are what... a minute or more?

Traction Wars is not a simulation game, its a realistic shooter with a historically accurate premise, which in the end provides an authentic experience to our own desire.

The issue with having a medic system TOO complex is, for games like PR or Arma, sure that works great, because honestly those games are very very slow paced, very long respawns and etc. So it makes sense to have in-depth implementation of things like a medic. Everything is so heavily valued, and because of the games pace, it allows time for things like full on medical procedures. But for a game like Traction Wars, RO2, FH2, RnL and etc., death is more common, respawns are shorter and gameplay is generally speaking fast paced. Often times it may be easier to just die then have a medic perform 3-4 different procedures on me - its not really worth it.

Thats not saying we don't want the player to value life, and duck his head when the bullets are flying. But the complexity of features like the medic have to be based on the gameplay and follow suit with how it plays. Time will tell though, and testing will decide really what methods work best... we definitely want something cool :)

K. Steine

Perhaps all that should be needed, are med-kits, and bandages? The Medic will stop the bleeding by applying the bandage, and then apply the med-kit, to heal the player. Maybe the model could look more worn down, and beaten after being treated by a medic; more... Battle-worn. Though I definitely think a passing-out mechanic should be a thing... In RnL, there have been too many good times where I've tricked out the enemy by passing out, then waking up after they assumed I was dead...

Pelzer

I really like the medic idea as long as it's realistic to an extent. (No BF3 "medic" nonsense!) But done right with being able to apply bandages, keep someone from passing out, and maybe dragging passed out friendlies into cover, and the addition of a medic class would be a huge tactical benefit to this game.

Troy

To keep it really simple but fairly fun/good you could do this.

The normal player will have 2 bandages. Bandages heal your health back up to 100 but cannot repair wounded legs etc. So it does not have any effect other than allowing you to take more shots. Healing yourself would take around 20-30 seconds.

Then theres the medic. He would carry 5 bandages and 5 medkits. He brings the bandage out then idk left clicks on the player he wants to heal with the bandage. after around 20 seconds that's done. Then he gives them a medkit to heal broken legs or broken arms etc. That would take 30-45 seconds.

Its just simple and could be very effective.

Roughbeak

Just to point one thing out, I am a bit inexperienced with the CryENGINE 3, but how are the animations for it?
Example: In BF3 you could actually drag someone across to safety, can CE3 do it? :)
Another example: BF3, a soldier could roll a rocket launcher to you, is CE3 capable of doing it?

If it could, I'm sold! :D

Sir Apple

Just to point one thing out, I am a bit inexperienced with the CryENGINE 3, but how are the animations for it?
Example: In BF3 you could actually drag someone across to safety, can CE3 do it? :)
Another example: BF3, a soldier could roll a rocket launcher to you, is CE3 capable of doing it?

If it could, I'm sold! :D

Of course those things can be done, really anything can be done with CE3. I don't know that we will do those things though

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
Of course those things can be done, really anything can be done with CE3. I don't know that we will do those things though

Yes the CryEngine is really capable in terms of that. The only problem: for good looking animations of that kind you need motion capture. And that's something only big shots can afford.

Also the medic system, while neat for teamwork is very hard to implement and still remain realistic about it. What it could be done is the medic who can "save" team's tickets (I assume the gameplay will be based on tickets) by treating critically wounded people, and allowing them to spawn back instantly on the SL - simulating a replacement (of course this would need a more significant respawn time to be worth it, otherwise the wounded would simply give up). Smaller wounds could simply be patched up by bandages. Maybe the Medic could resupply bandages to his teammates?

But I don't know if it's worth implementing since medics in WWII weren't combat oriented at all, and there were no epipens, only morphine. You can find out more about WWII medic's equipment here: http://www.mtaofnj.org/content/WWII...ombatMedic.htm#Medical Equipment of a Private

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.