• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Modding and "Joint-Venturing" with other Communities

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingR

Hey I have 2 questions:
1. Will people be able to mod the game, let's say there's a small number of people who would like to make a new mod for example for another front (Eastern, Pacific) or make a mod for another game (Star Wars, Modern Combat, WWI, Middle Ages, etc.), would this be allowed? I know that this is not the purpose of the game and that you guys want to dedicate to WWII realistic gaming. I wanted to know everyone's opinion on the matter. I wouldn't mind, actually if they mod other fronts they could really help out the Team to make things faster!

2. Will other communities be able to use the game for their own purpose, such as Forgotten Honor tournaments?

drummer93

I think that would be weird. Maybe if some people want to make another front, could join the team and expand the game

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
1. Will people be able to mod the game, let's say there's a small number of people who would like to make a new mod for example for another front

If people wanted to do that then it would be better for everyone if they joined our team :p

Esu21

Just imagine if they make a Eastern Front unofficial mod and then the official Eastern Front comes out...it would be really weird,and a lot of people would compare both... so yea,the best idea is for modders to join TW team xD

FlyingR

I know that if people would do another front they could help the team, but that's beside the point, will modding be allowed or not? Maybe parallel to the Chapters, people could be modding for other types of scenarios as I mentioned above.
[MENTION=2473]Esu21[/MENTION], I don't think modders would be doing a same front as the team would at the same time! They would be doing something else and completely different!

Last edited:

Zainab

Well, in my opinion it will be totally weird. It is better that modders to join the TW team and contribute there.

Roughbeak

I know that if people would do another front they could help the team, but that's beside the point, will modding be allowed or not? Maybe parallel to the Chapters, people could be modding for other types of scenarios as I mentioned above.

It all depends on how secure the team wants their content, I would probably say don't allow modding.

It's so easy to steal now days, so having password protected rar (or pak files, in CryENGINE terminology ;)) would be a nice and safe method.

If you really wanted to mod, experiment in CE engine or 3ds max, then join the team if you feel ready. :)

hannibaldinski

TW Developer
As Traction Wars once started as a mod we value modding a lot. It is not weird to think modding would be supported somewhere in the future, though the development of tools and documentation to mod would be required. And I guess I don't have to explain we aren't putting effort to do this juuuuuust yet :)

FlyingR

As Traction Wars once started as a mod we value modding a lot. It is not weird to think modding would be supported somewhere in the future, though the development of tools and documentation to mod would be required. And I guess I don't have to explain we aren't putting effort to do this juuuuuust yet :)

Great! I like that answer! I don't know why people think it's weird too. PR and FH are mods too! I fully understand that modding is not a priority yet! :)
It would be cool if this was like the new BF42/2 with a huge player base support and a variety of gaming options (mods)!

As for my second questions, would TW be willing to work with Forgotten Honor or any other community to host tournaments or would you prefer to do it on your own?

@Roughbeak, the game is free, there's much you can steal from WWII games, they have a trademark and copyrights on all of their products I think. The thing is, I don't know how the legal stuff works with CryEngine too. Also, it's not about joining the team, maybe they want to do something completely different while using some attributes of the game itself, but you are right that they could just use CE and make it from scratch.

Zainab

By the way, the BF42/2 are not based on roleplay game. This game is based on realism and roleplay so yeah its weird to be modded..If I am right...

drummer93

just imagine a free mod for a total free game o_O. Just imagine that the modders use the work of TW team and have more players than the original game hahaha. Yes it's totally weird. For a pay to play games mods are an adventage, because they win more players, with other tastes and interests, but likewise have to pay for the original game. In this case I think that it's not a good idea

Pjosip

Vanguard Backer
Heh, part of joining the team is... well working with the team.
Some people simply want to make changes they want to see with a mod that might not be accepted by the rest of the dev team, that's the difference between modding and working for the team.

For example I do not see how somebody (just taking the best understandable example) interested in making MLP skins and spacejump server would contribute to the team on implementing a game feature rather than providing an optional mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.