• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

New gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

siben

Greetings all.
The time has come to replace my computer. The one i am using now is dating from the summer of 2011 and is running its last weeks now.
Unfortunately i am not up to date anymore on what is a good computer and what not. Also, my budget is not so high. What i considered buying at the moment is the following. Please feel free to offer me improvements without going up to much pricewise.

Processor: Intel Core i5-6400 Boxed
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250-HD3P
RAM, 8GB total: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2A2400C16
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ 8G OC
Power: Corsair CX450M

Plus case and maybe a samsung 500GB solid state and 2TB normal.

I am looking forward to your input.

Roughbeak

8Gb of vRam? :eek:

Anyway, the gaming rig looks good, except the 8gb of ram (not vRAM) worries me. Games likes Battlefield 1 use at least about 8-9gb of RAM, so I encourage you to get at least 12gb RAM if you can.

Also has anyone had problems with AMD cards on Cryengine? I heard Miscreated (cryengine survival game) is pretty much unplayable with the AMD brand.

Aniallator

Looks pretty good, though yeah, you may want to get a few more gigs of RAM. 8 GB is more the minimum these days.

If you're willing, I would also recommend getting an NVIDIA card over an AMD one. IMHO NVIDIA cards are simply faster, but that aside a number of engines like CE, UE4, have performance issues with AMD. The new NVIDIA GTX 1000 series of cards, especially, are extremely well regarded, and I'm looking forward to getting one when I have to replace my rig. I'm not as familiar with a lot of AMD cards, any idea what NVIDIA card would be equivalent to the AMD one that you listed?

siben

I made a mistake, its 2 x 8GB of ram, sorry. So, this thing will run properly? I am happy to hear :) Placing the orders for the parts now. I took Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB - PC-17000 - DIMM for ram instead, It should not be much of a difference i hope, 16Gb of DDR4.
Also threw in a Samsung 750 EVO - 500 GB SSD and a 4 TB Western Digital Blue for storage.

I honestly have no preference on brands for the grapics card, for sure there is very little difference anyway. The games that I will be playing are Tomb Raider, GTA V, War Thunder, Anno 2205 and Far Cry 4.
I looked at the Benchmark difference, interesting, its only 45 euroish difference, but i am already 160 euro over budget :/ and to be honest, currently i am gaming at 15-25 fps, i honestly dont care if its 75 or 80 fps with the new card, that will be a problem in at least 3 years into the future.

Currently i will be playing on a 24 inch 1080p monitor. Might upgrade though in a year or so.

Thanks for the imput guys.

Roughbeak

Yeah, 16gb of Ram is excellent.

I honestly have no preference on brands for the grapics card, for sure there is very little difference anyway.

As I said before, AMD cards have issues with some game engines (Cryengine for an example). So Nvidia would be a better option overall IMO.

Aniallator

Just got a new laptop with one of those, it isn't too shabby :p

Oh it's an all-around excellent card, for sure, especially if you're on a budget. I mean, I can play a full BF4 server at 40 FPS. It's just, I've been playing at low frames for my entire gaming career, and for a game like Squad where I get 20-25 frames... I'm ready for a major upgrade xD I love my rig, but I'm ready for ultra settings and 60 FPS for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.