• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Pacific Wrecks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniallator

When I was in Australia in 2012, getting ready to sail to Papua New Guinea, I found this site called Pacific Wrecks. It's a database for wrecks from WW2 and Korea, and I ended up going through and saving every page that was relevant to where I planned to go. It turned out to be an awesome reference, and there were new wrecks to be found in almost every anchorage. It documents not only planes and ships, but everything from airfields to coastal guns. It even documents known wrecks that have yet to be found. For example, I'd read that a US Bristol Beaufighter had crashed off Panapompom island. When we went there, I asked one of the elders, Abel-George, about it. Turns out he had watched the plane crash as a kid, and he pointed me to where it went in... unfortunately, it was too deep.

So, if anyone finds themself in the Pacific, definitely, definitely take a look at Pacific Wrecks for wherever you're going, to see what kind of wrecks are in your area. And if anyone ever has an opportunity to go to PNG, know that it is the mother lode of WW2 wrecks.

Pacific Wrecks - World War II Pacific and Korean War

Status
Not open for further replies.