• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Paying for the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paying for TW: How
1. Please please do not tie yourself and the players to Steam. Take note that Sony stated (October 2015) that they are not interested in using Steam to pay for the game, and the PS4 outsold the Xbox by 6 to 1 in the Christmas 2015 trade.
2. The only payment for TW that makes sense must be the yearly subscription.
There is the obvious method of online card transaction.
However, a voucher bought with cash appeals more to me, as a viable alternative. People would need to buy phone top-up style vouchers then to use the voucher code for a TW user registration.
The Firefall team briefly considered top-up vouchers but has not implemented it, as far as I know. In FF, the majority of players (in a vote) said they prefer an online card transaction but the majority is not all and it would be useful to know how many players are excluded from paying into Firefall because they cannot or will not use a card online. Perhaps it is a minority of a few thousand that represent an important source of income.
There are two competing business views: small margin with many players; big margin with few players. Get the balance right and the game will run for years.
Paying for TW: Why
Because you're worth it. =^.^= If the game is a success then money shall be necessary, and we understand that.
Paying for TW: What you would get, first suggestions
Clans could pay a small fee for 'TW approved' status. It would be only a certificate from TW but new players would see the approved status to decide where to go for support and direction for being more involved.
Players who pay would have entry to tournaments, leagues and other competitions.
Firefall and Elite: Dangerous successfully avoided the 'pay to win' bullshit by providing artwork to a player who pays, specific to the player's kit. Perhaps TW could have a name and rank, for example, on a shoulder patch or helmet?

FlyingR

Sydd

I don't know what the future holds for us, rumors are that battlefield is apparently going for the ww-1 genre, however the wwii is ever so popular and many want these series to make a return to wwii. IF this is the case TW may have a huge amount of competition.
As for your statement on playstation outselling xbox. I believe it had nothing to do with it being on steam but a majority of players just stood up against microsoft's BS at xbox one's reveal.

Although I am of mind to pay once for the game and get access to everything, I wouldn't mind paying for the game in any form provided its not subscription based. But we have had this discussion countless times and they don't seem like they want money, I am sure they know we are willing to pay should they take that approach.

Our devs do accept any and all cookie donations tho'

FlyingR: thankyou for the links. (I did search the forums without success but then the TW website search box usually ignores me.)

The links you provided confirmed your point that the dev's want the game to be free and want to avoid obligations to gamers who pay in. My point is that a successful game with thousands of players needs resources and the devs cannot provide it all free.

To answer your point off topic with good reason, PS4/Xbox might serve as a lesson for TW. PS4 vs Xbox1 was exactly about Steam, more exactly digital download vs owning the game. Sony stated categorically that they want people to own the game on DVD. Google “microsoft xbox one drm” and “xbox one drm backlash”.

Why is Steam seen as unavoidable? Could not social media could do the same job with a link? Am I overlooking something?

FlyingR

Yeah, that's why I said "Of course once the servers are available and a huge influx of players arrive then they will have to come up with a decision!" I think donations will be done, like many communities (PR, FH, etc. are doing).

Of course the game will be on Steam, first, there's a Steam log-in for the forums, then there's a Steam TW group. They didn't just do it randomly. Gamers including very famous ones are using Steam so it's a good base and platform to get the game popular.

FlyingR: thankyou for the links. (I did search the forums without success but then the TW website search box usually ignores me.)

The links you provided confirmed your point that the dev's want the game to be free and want to avoid obligations to gamers who pay in. My point is that a successful game with thousands of players needs resources and the devs cannot provide it all free.

To answer your point off topic with good reason, PS4/Xbox might serve as a lesson for TW. PS4 vs Xbox1 was exactly about Steam, more exactly digital download vs owning the game. Sony stated categorically that they want people to own the game on DVD. Google “microsoft xbox one drm” and “xbox one drm backlash”.

Why is Steam seen as unavoidable? Could not social media could do the same job with a link? Am I overlooking something?

Steam is seen as unavoidable because it's the only PC gaming platform that actually works. Origin, Uplay, and any other **** software that major publishers have tried to push on us has utterly failed. Xbox failed because they should have never brought DRM's to console, it created a backlash, Sony exploited it, and that along with the Kinect being forced into the price tag left a sour taste in most gamers mouths with regards to Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.