• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Radios, VOIP, and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniallator

Following the latest CQ update, I want to talk about radios, VOIP, and a few other things.

1. The usable radius of radios can't be too big, to simulate being next to the radio, and can't be too small, so your transmission isn't cut off just because you took a few steps. Five meters is a good size... no more than ten tops.

2. When transmitting on a radio, there should be a radio filter over your voice on receiving radios.

3. When transmitting on a radio, you of course simultaneously transmit on positional as well.

4. There of course needs to be a separate key binding for transmitting over the radio and transmitting over positional.

5. If you're in a vehicle that was historically equipped with a radio, you should be able to use it.

6. I suggested before that you should be able to run while cooking a grenade; you should be able to pull the pin on a grenade while running as well.

7. When in a vehicle, you should be able to reload any weapons and treat any wounds; if you're operating a vehicle position, you wouldn't be able to do anything in that position (including drive) while reloading or treating wounds.

8. Figure I may as well put this in... but if there's one thing all players love, it's high vantage points in urban areas, so be sure to have accessible vantage points, like church towers and some roofs.

9. I'm trying to think of an intuitive way that one player can give any amount of any kind of ammunition he's carrying to another player. Perhaps ammunition - belts, clips, magazines, et cetera - can be equipped and taken out like any other weapon or piece of equipment, and left clicking when looking at a player next to you would give him that ammunition?

FlyingR

I love how after an update or a community question, more questions come out from that and it keeps expanding. So much discussion! :D

1. We don't know how it will be implemented, but that's one way of using it! I thought it would be realistic so you have to be right next to the radio and hold a button or the keypad number of the squad. Either way is fine with me! Radioman is being implemented, woohoo!!

2. Yes, as I mentioned in another thread, if the radio is shot or harmed, your voice or the receiver's voice should be cut off too simulate damage. And if it is completely broken, static noise.

3. I like that! Works for me!

4. Keypads like I mentioned above, to talk to different squads or to all? Or should the Radioman tune in to the squad(s) (or is that too complicated)?

5. Yes, but next Chapter!

6. Definitely!

7. Sure.

8. I also suggested to have ropes in the game. Let's hope that happens!

9. Would that include an animation? In RnL, you drop the weapon/mags/grenades/etc. with G, anybody else can pick it up.

Aniallator

I love how after an update or a community question, more questions come out from that and it keeps expanding. So much discussion! :D

Yeah got to love it :D

1. I suppose a smaller radius (like two meters) would be fine, so long as the radioman and SL don't really move.

2. IMO, one shot should destroy a radio; I mean, what are the odds that you'll survive the first round, let alone the second! One round would realistically be enough anyway.

4. Personally I prefer just having VOIP to all sections, but I guess other people would prefer to be able to talk section-on-section, so not sure.

9. As far as animations are concerned, you'd need an animation of pulling out the belt/clip/magazine whatever, and an animation of handing it out forward when giving it to someone. You'd also need a separate model for all the belts, clips, and magazines in TW. I think it'd be better to actually hand people ammunition than drop it, and there also needs to be a maximum number of each form of ammunition that you can carry. I don't think you should be able to take ammunition from corpses; if that were the case, people would almost always have ammunition in abundance.

Aniallator

One thing I'm concerned about radios is, future implementation. I don't really mind that there'll be one radioman per section (I assume that'll be the case), though historically portable radios were generally issued on a company or at maximum platoon level. But what about future chapters? Portable radios were far less common in other armed forces, like the French, Italians, Japanese, and really all the armed forces of 1940. Sure they're alright for Normandy... but I'm just thinking in the long term here. Would it be better to have radiomen, or to have a simple normal VOIP system for SLs to talk to other SLs?

Status
Not open for further replies.