• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Shoulder Mounted MG

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingR

So after seeing a video I thought, what if in TW, we could mount MGs (specifically German ones) on the shoulders of the ammo bearer or any other player?

The system would be that you would be able to place the MG as if it were a wall or a static object on the shoulder and shoot from it. If the guy holding the MG with the shoulder dies or gets injured then of course the gun will not be allowed to be placed anymore.

For reference (thank you drummer93):

Rumg.jpg

3ac1c75703922ab91825f36ee3069d1f.jpg

ce04ddca95bd88d73228458d48978f75.jpg

Aniallator

Great idea! Only MG34s and MG42s should be able to do this, you should be able to do it when standing or crouching, and, of course, both players need to be in the same stance. It could be triggered by the machine gunner standing near a friendly player and pressing G, for example (it needs a unique key, not the standard interact key).

drummer93

I have mixed feelings about this idea :p. I think that could be great, but the implementation could bring problems, as graphic glitches or things like that.
In other hand you have to coordinate pretty well with your mate. But well, is not something crucial, so that's not a problem. The question is, if the "human tripod" wants to leave, whats happen?. He can't?, or the gun is dismounted automatically? That's a problem to discuss

Last edited:

Africandave

Wow I would hate to be the guy with his ear next to that lol.
I agree that the implementation of this is probably not realistic but let's try anyway.

I would suggest that the MG team would spawn together or be "tied" to the MG with one being the gunner and the second his support carrying a massive stock of ammo belts.
In this role they would benefit from the large ammo stock and a fast reload/barrel change while in position. One of the possible positions/mounting (prone, waist height cover, standing behind cover) being this interesting shoulder brace.

Simon

I think it would be easier to deploy it, also you are less exposed to enemy fire.

But I think they could add it for shits and giggles :p

Last edited:

Aniallator

I have mixed feelings about this idea :p. I think that could be great, but the implementation could bring problems, as graphic glitches or things like that.
In other hand you have to coordinate pretty well with your mate. But well, is not something crucial, so that's not a problem. The question is, if the "human tripod" wants to leave, whats happen?. He can't?, or the gun is dismounted automatically? That's a problem to discuss

Implementing MG "shoulder mounting" would indeed be difficult, but if it's feasible, I'd love to see it. IMO German machine gunners should be able to press, for example, G when standing next to and looking at a friendly player (so long as they're in the same stance) to mount his MG on the friendly's shoulder. The friendly should be able to press the same key to remove the MG, so he doesn't have to be the shoulder mountee if he doesn't want to.

I agree that the implementation of this is probably not realistic but let's try anyway.

IIRC German machine gunners were trained to "shoulder mount" if they needed to.

I would suggest that the MG team would spawn together or be "tied" to the MG with one being the gunner and the second his support carrying a massive stock of ammo belts.
In this role they would benefit from the large ammo stock and a fast reload/barrel change while in position. One of the possible positions/mounting (prone, waist height cover, standing behind cover) being this interesting shoulder brace.

Well, the way it's being implemented is, riflemen will carry MG ammo (a few Bren magazines for British riflemen, a 50-round belt for German ones) that they can give to friendly machine gunners. Actual MG teams wouldn't work IMO, and having riflemen who carry MG ammo, I think the same thing can be accomplished so long as you're using teamwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.