• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Sound Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex

Cannot stress how much sound design works towards creating an immersive environment.
I genuinely hope Traction Wars learns from the mistakes of other games such as vanilla RO2's weak sound effects.

Here's two videos I'd like to share that I personally think exemplify the power of incoming explosions

[video=youtube;PAw_J9Iu3aI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAw_J9Iu3aI[/video]

FlyingR

@Alex, I think we are in good hands:

"Instead of the standard left-right audio setup that the majority of games use, 3Dception enables us to create a complete 360-degree audio field. The traditional left-right field only allows players to accurately determine the direction of a sound coming from either left or right of them; only knowing if something is coming from behind based on whether or not you can see it on screen. In Traction Wars, with the help of 3Dception, it will be possible to detect the direction of gunfire from above, behind, below or to either side of you."

"3Dception will enable Traction Wars to provide a richer and more dynamic interactive audio mix that is accessible to anyone with a pair of headphones. It will be possible to pinpoint the location of your enemy through their gunfire and movement. Shots and explosions will ring out across the terrain and bullets will whiz and ricochet past you."

The sounds on these videos are pretty cool, and must be even better now since those are old.

(Some of the "kabooms" are taken from TW. )

SFX Sample Oct 2016 by Traction Wars | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Aniallator

Start at 0:56 for TW sounds... and I think a Thompson at 1:04? Those explosion and distant gunfire sounds though, very imsersive :D

Alex

Ah, shame... is it broken? Is it possible to still use it, or no?
It's still possible to run the mod with bots, and it definitely improves the game a lot. With that said, all of the servers that run it are pretty much dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.