• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Vehicle Crews and Repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilroy115

I deeply apologize if this has been posted before on the forums. It's just something that I got to thinking about.

When Vehicles and armor arrive in Chapter Two, what will be some of the features with the crew/drivers?

Say if I am in a tank, and that tank gets hit but portions of the crew survive, will the crew be able to get out of the tank and continue the fight on foot? Or if the tank suffers minor damage, say a track getting blown off, will the crew be able to repair it. For more major damages should the tank be marked off as a loss, or can it be saved if you can get combat engineers up to it?

Aniallator

I deeply apologize if this has been posted before on the forums. It's just something that I got to thinking about.

When Vehicles and armor arrive in Chapter Two, what will be some of the features with the crew/drivers?

Say if I am in a tank, and that tank gets hit but portions of the crew survive, will the crew be able to get out of the tank and continue the fight on foot? Or if the tank suffers minor damage, say a track getting blown off, will the crew be able to repair it. For more major damages should the tank be marked off as a loss, or can it be saved if you can get combat engineers up to it?

I know that repairing vehicles won't be a feature... too unrealistic ;) Historically speaking, one shot to the hull was enough to send the crew running, for a good reason.

I hope that, as a tank crewman, we'll be able to hop out of the tank if it's sustained damage, but I don't know.

As for actual tank crews, this has been heavily discussed, whether or not tanks should be crewed by one player, or by several players. One player? Practically but not technically more realistic, in that while one player crews aren't historically accurate, they would (generally speaking) perform better than crews of several players, and thus would better represent a tight-knit well-trained tank crew. The only real issue with tank crews of several players is that everything, everything hinges on the players' ability to communicate and cooperate with one another, and this, of course, can't always be guaranteed.

While playing as a tank of one player would feel smoother than as a tank of several players, the latter nonetheless benefits from the immersion granted by historical accuracy (imagine a one player tank getting damaged... you'd be the only one hopping out) and the overall feel. I'd be happy with one player tanks, but to be honest, I'd prefer tanks crewed by several players. PR:WW2 has this, and I've only heard good things about it.

Last edited:

Kilroy115

Multi Crew tanks would be a preferable thing for me as well. So long as it is implemented in such a way that each member of the crew gets a cut of whatever score the tank gets. Depending on what kind of score system this game has. I wouldn't mind it as I already use TS and I think I remember seeing that this game has a basic form of voice comms for its players. Plus, getting players used to multi crewed tanks could open up the possibility for many other multi crewed vehicles. I wouldn't want it to be like WWII Online where you have to switch between all the positions yourself.

Maybe it could be optional, something you can set to user preference. If someone wants to be a one man crew, then give him that ability. If he wants to open up his tank to fellow crewman then he can.

Aniallator

Multi Crew tanks would be a preferable thing for me as well. So long as it is implemented in such a way that each member of the crew gets a cut of whatever score the tank gets. Depending on what kind of score system this game has. I wouldn't mind it as I already use TS and I think I remember seeing that this game has a basic form of voice comms for its players. Plus, getting players used to multi crewed tanks could open up the possibility for many other multi crewed vehicles. I wouldn't want it to be like WWII Online where you have to switch between all the positions yourself.

Maybe it could be optional, something you can set to user preference. If someone wants to be a one man crew, then give him that ability. If he wants to open up his tank to fellow crewman then he can.

Yeah, TW will have positional VOIP using Mumble, the same thing Project Reality uses. Thankfully I don't think a score system is planned. Score systems are fine when the only thing you're doing is capping objectives and killing enemies, but for a game like TW, a score system would be downright awful. As you pointed out, multi-crew tanks pave the way for other multi-crew vehicles... we'll be seeing a lot more than just tanks in this game ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.