• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

WW2 Interactive Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killen

OMG, i am still shocked by all those deaths of young boys...expecially russian ones!
And i didn't expect the ending, a surprise will make you smile (like i did). I don't want to spoiler, just WATCH it

FlyingR

That was actually pretty cool! Of course as they say in the video, it all depends who counts the numbers, other than that though, it was quite insightful!

mmiedzianyy

Imagine how world would look like without these all casualties..
Some time ago i've heard that if not WWII, Polish population would estimate arround 65 millions people. For your knowledge, the number is almost 40 now.

Simon

This is so sad. Why do young boys have to die just to fight for interests of others? Most German soldiers didn't even know for what they fight for.

WW2 divided my country (which is sad because there are still people supporting nazis and communists) and I'm sad when I see people waving around Slovene Home Guard or Yugoslav flags (Slovene Home Guard = Slovene Nazis)

Why can't we all grow up, we live in democracy, 21st century, era of computers and electronics and we still fight because something happened over 70 years ago.

drummer93

This is so sad. Why do young boys have to die just to fight for interests of others? Most German soldiers didn't even know for what they fight for

I think they knew very well, and I'm not talking about the "Jew problem" or something similar to racism or xenophobia. Nobody can make a real war if they are not really convinced about something. After the WWI, the Treaty of Versailles and the international monetary problems (that affected directly the economy in Germany with an hyper inflation) the German nationalist sentiment was raised. I'm not valuing the Nazi cause, I'm just saying that you can't make something if you aren't really convinced, and we know that the Germans not fought slightly

Simon

I think they knew very well, and I'm not talking about the "Jew problem" or something similar to racism or xenophobia. Nobody can make a real war if they are not really convinced about something. After the WWI, the Treaty of Versailles and the international monetary problems (that affected directly the economy in Germany with an hyper inflation) the German nationalist sentiment was raised. I'm not valuing the Nazi cause, I'm just saying that you can't make something if you aren't really convinced, and we know that the Germans not fought slightly

True, but most german soldiers were ashamed of what they did. I know that from valuable sources.

FlyingR

I'm with Simon here, I don't think they knew exactly why they joined the war. Sure it was all for the pride, nationalism and all that **** which was a pretext to invade another country while being ignorant of the horrors and reality of war. In my opinion, soldiers who go fight a war in another country believe that they do it for the brotherhood and comradery, for their country, for their Gods, and endless of false causes. Also they were people who were obliged to join, 13-15 years-old (Hitlerjugend), or because they had no jobs.

Esu21

True, but most german soldiers were ashamed of what they did. I know that from valuable sources.

On the one hand thats because what nazis did is definitely something to be ashamed of, but on the other hand I think it's mostly because they lost the war. Since they started taking heavy loses and supplies were running low, soldiers were losing that fanatism that brought most of them there, and they started realising that what they were doing was wrong. But trust me, if they kept winning, they wouldnt be ashamed of what they did. They would say that the Slavic-Jew-Polish massacres were something necesary to achieve victory.

Something similar happened here in Spain: when Franco was in charge everyone was with him, but when he died and democracy came back, thousands of people appeared saying that they were against him and his ideas the whole time. The situation is what moves your ideas, and thats why I find understandable Germany's fanaticism in that time. I dont think a lot of soldiers realised and regretted what they were doing during 1939-1941.

drummer93

Sure it was all for the pride, nationalism and all that **** which was a pretext to invade another country while being ignorant of the horrors and reality of war. In my opinion, soldiers who go fight a war in another country believe that they do it for the brotherhood and comradery, for their country, for their Gods, and endless of false causes.

does not contradict what I said. And I repeat, I'm not valuing the causes, I'm valuing their effect in the human act

drummer93

On the one hand thats because what nazis did is definitely something to be ashamed of, but on the other hand I think it's mostly because they lost the war. Since they started taking heavy loses and supplies were running low, soldiers were losing that fanatism that brought most of them there, and they started realising that what they were doing was wrong. But trust me, if they kept winning, they wouldnt be ashamed of what they did. They would say that the Slavic-Jew-Polish massacres were something necesary to achieve victory.

Something similar happened here in Spain: when Franco was in charge everyone was with him, but when he died and democracy came back, thousands of people appeared saying that they were against him and his ideas the whole time. The situation is what moves your ideas, and thats why I find understandable Germany's fanaticism in that time. I dont think a lot of soldiers realised and regretted what they were doing during 1939-1941.

I responded something similar to Simon, and I didn't read your comment. Total agree

Simon

Slovenia had communists and anti-communists and they had civil war inside of Slovenia. Communists were not ashamed of what they did and they killed thousands of own people (i.e Slovene Home Guard, normal german soldiers, civilians after the war, something similar if you were anti-nazi) Communists have put them into ex-concentration camps then fired thousands of rounds into crowds of Slovene soldiers killing most of them.

Even if my biggest enemy was Slovene and surrendered (during war) I would have never killed him. Why? Because I would treat him as a human, as fellow Slovenian.
During WW1 many Slovenians fought for Austria-Hungary and other nations against Austria-Hungary but we didn't slaughter them at the end.

Also many german soldiers were mobilised, they were forced to fight for "Führer"

But don't let this go off topic. As I said before, we live in 21st century and WW2 happened over 70 years ago. What happened happened happened. We can't change the past but we can only look back at it and say "Damn, good thing I wasn't born in that era. Now I can wait in peace for today's TW update"

Status
Not open for further replies.