• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

3D modelling software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revoluzer

Hi,
I want to start some modelling for games as I have a little experience from my job as design engineer.
I already have a program to create 3D modells, but it is made for the industry and not for designing gaming props.
Can you give me some advices which software would suit best for this?

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Welcome to the community Revoluzer.

I'm going to take a guess and say you use AutoCAD or another Autodesk product at work? Most people I know in the construction/civil engineering seem to these days regardless of which country their in.

For gaming the predominant piece of software is 3DS Max but that carries a price tag of around 3,000 GBP so you might like to take a look at XSI Mod Tools (also made by Autodesk).

A quick search came up with this introduction into exporting from XSI to CryEngine3 (see part 3).

Revoluzer

A software for free and legal -> thats great, tanks. I will try that program and if I get the trick and enough time I want to create some assets for this mod as a kind of contributor.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
A crate or ammo box is traditional - I must admit I broke the trend and modelled an oil refinery for my first model... but that's a story for another time ;)

Sir Apple

Also remember your first model isn't about accuracy, its about getting the fundamentals right and learning the software and how to physically make a model for a video game - getting your object to look perfect and look like the reference is something to work on gradually as you start other projects :)

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
What about metaseq ? It's a shareware and I think it's good but then i don't know if it's enough..

I must say that's the first I've heard of MetaSeq. I suspect Blender + CryBlend is a much more powerful (and still free) option.

Status
Not open for further replies.