• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

A Bicycle Built for Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mig2463

After looking over most of the forms (not all of them) I noticed that no one seemed to mention bicycles. I think that they would add little bit of immersion into the game if you had bikes scattered around towns leaning against walls and players had the ability to ride them. Considering how many people owned bikes back then it was not uncommon to see one or two by a house or shop. Even MP's would use bikes. They would also provide a simple transport for one man going into a fight or trying to escape from one.
Now as much as I enjoy immersion and realism here is also a little fun thing I would like to add in, a tandem bicycle. The person on the front drives the bike and the person on the back gets the ability to use a tool or sidearm. I feel that this would be a fun way to forget about your PTSD and just enjoy a bike ride with a buddy through the country, or a dumb way to attack the enemy. :p

Lord_Lovat

Hi,

It would not be realistic! The germans confiscated all the civilian bikes to use in their army. Any bike left would be hidden away by the civilians not te be stolen by the germans. Also, almost all the rubber from the tires were used for other purposes so most bikes were ridden on the rim only or on wooden tires. it made a hell of a noise and wouldn't be as comfortable to ride, definitly not by soldiers.

regards

drummer93

we talked a lot about bicycles. A lot of countries used them during the war

drummer93

Hi,

It would not be realistic! The germans confiscated all the civilian bikes to use in their army. Any bike left would be hidden away by the civilians not te be stolen by the germans. Also, almost all the rubber from the tires were used for other purposes so most bikes were ridden on the rim only or on wooden tires. it made a hell of a noise and wouldn't be as comfortable to ride, definitly not by soldiers.

regards

German army had their own bicycles, a military model, and were common during the war. In Normandy too.

bikes.jpg

drummer93

If that's the case then they should also put motorbikes, including the one with the sidecar!
no I think is not the same. Maybe I'm wrong but at the end of war were not common to mobilize troops. Messengers and police used them

Last edited:

Flare

Vanguard Backer
They were standard issue for some Canadian regiments including the highland light infantry. However they were only issued one tire patching kit per company so they ended up riding the rims!

Aniallator

I don't know how historically accurate/inaccurate it is, but if you look at a few screenshots you'll notice a bicycle or two propped up against a wall or lying on the street.

As far as usable bicycles are concerned, I'd say this is a big no-no. I think that allowing players to ride bicycles would only encourage and facilitate lone wolfing, and would serve to separate sections, because what are the odds that everyone in the section can find a bicycle.

drummer93

I don't know how historically accurate/inaccurate it is, but if you look at a few screenshots you'll notice a bicycle or two propped up against a wall or lying on the street.

As far as usable bicycles are concerned, I'd say this is a big no-no. I think that allowing players to ride bicycles would only encourage and facilitate lone wolfing, and would serve to separate sections, because what are the odds that everyone in the section can find a bicycle.

we talked about entire sections spawining with bikes long time ago. Very easy

Status
Not open for further replies.