• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

A (slightly ambitious) christmas present

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmiegrunde

Hi everyone!
As we all know, christmas is approaching and sometimes it can be quite hard to come up with a fun present to give to your loved ones.
I've come up with a present for my brother; creating a WW2 diorama in 1:35th scale. I will assemble, paint etc everything
myself.

He's very keen on Russian armor during the second world war, so I've decided to stick to that theme!

Here's what I'm getting:
SU-122

Russian infantry, marching

Russian infantry, resting

And a diorama base to stick them all on

I have ordered the infantry and the building/street, and I've bought the SU-122.
I was thinking that I'd update this thread so you can see the progress! :)

Wish me luck, lol!
Cheers

brrr

TW Developer
Awesome idea mate, good luck with it. I've recently gotten back into modelling (mainly because the tank models would be excellent references for when we start making tanks for the mod). I've started buying the 1/48 model kits by Tamiya, I find 1/35 too big and 1/72 too small. 1/48 is a tiny bit smaller than Warhammer scale so it's perfect.

Looking forward to the updates :).

Fuchs

Vanguard Backer
Been pasting together 1/35 tanks for just over a year now. I fully assembled a Somua S35 and painted the turret partially but never finished it, partially assembled a Tamiya M13/40. Got a M5A1 Stuart from AFV Club, only did the suspension. Also got a Dragon Tiger II with Krupp production turret which just needs details and tracks and a Tasca Sherman V still wrapped up.

I love this hobby but I just don't got enough time for it :p It's pretty sad but I try to assemble once in a while and with the cold I can't really paint outside either.

I wish you luck and surely will follow this.

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
My previous hobby was to bind flies. To fish with.

Quite interesting hobby actually; my dad signed me and him on it and the hobby kept going for atleast 9 years now. Got even printed in a local fishermans-paper - I was very proud, being inly 7 when I built my first Jock Scott (a very detailed fly indeed).

Oh well, enough of me! Good luck on your present, Jimmie! This will be interesting to follow.

Maniche

Last edited:

jimmiegrunde

Yeah, I've been building some 1:48 scale tanks myself. Mostly because they're not too expensive, hehe!
Although I've only finished one tank; StuG III ausf. B (short and ugly barrell). Other than the StuG I have a 1:35 Panther by Italeri. Didn't really like that tank because of the rubber tracks. I prefer all-plastic/resin parts. The ones from Tamiya with die-cast bottom chassis are awesome just because of the weight! And yeah, it does take up alot of time. And often comes with alot of frustrations as well. :p

The reason I chose 1:35 scale for this project is the level of detail on the models. I wanted it to be as detailed as possible, without having to build a huge model. Oh, and the quality of the MiniArt infantry models is amazing! Check some of them out here: http://miniart-models.com/

I also ordered those MiniArt models from a russian website (http://www.soga-miniatures.com/inde...gory_slug=ww-ii-military-miniatures-scale-135). I was amazed over how affordable everything was. The diorama base plus the two packs of figures ended up being only 38 US dollars, including shipping. That's a very nice deal!

I'll post some pictures of the SU-122 sprues later tonight or tomorrow!

Cheers

FH2 Hi

Nice Project Jimmie!
Definitely looking forward to seeing end results! I used to build model planes myself. I've even got an unopened 1/48 Me-262 Lindberg kit sitting next to me. Tempting me....

Are tank kits easier to build?

jimmiegrunde

Haha, go for it! ;)

Well, I've only built a couple of 1:72 airplanes so I wouldn't really know. Some tank kits are easier to build than others.
If you're thinking about making a tank, I can recommend Tamiya's 1:48 tanks. They're VERY detailed for that scale but relatively simple to assemble. :)

brrr

TW Developer
Haha, go for it! ;)

Well, I've only built a couple of 1:72 airplanes so I wouldn't really know. Some tank kits are easier to build than others.
If you're thinking about making a tank, I can recommend Tamiya's 1:48 tanks. They're VERY detailed for that scale but relatively simple to assemble. :)

I second that, they usually come with solid metal bases as well to give a bit of weight to the models.

Status
Not open for further replies.