• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Dear Esther

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Franky_

I've been debating whether I should get it..........

Yesterday was payday.

I am a 3d artist.

It's only 4.99$ 8|

*Throws money at his screen

SwadianFC

The developer just did an AMA (interview) on Reddit today: I am Robert Briscoe, the artist behind indie game Dear Esther AMA : IAmA

On getting into the business, he says:
I started out the same way, making maps for HL2 deathmatch (see dm_depot and de_forest),and I eventually started paying less attention to the designs and more to the visuals which, to me, was the most rewarding part. I'd say I good start would be not just make some individual prop but to pick a scene from a movie, a piece of concept art or something that inspires you, and recreate it in a game engine like Unreal or CryEngine. It makes you learn a lot about the art pipeline and scene composition, lighting etc. Also make an account on Polycount and post your WIP screen shots there - you'll get a lot of constructive feedback from people much more talented than I! :)

I think that advice applies to just about everyone. We start out by mimicking or copying something, learning the ropes, and going from there.

And on his future projects:
I would love to stay in the indie scene, but it's kind of a solitary existence sometimes (especially working remotely), and I do miss some of the buzz that comes with working for a AAA studio. Right now my aim is just to relax for a while, soak it all in and think about it. I have some ideas i'd love to explore in the future - I particularly like the idea of making a game based on the Novel Roadside Picnic (from which the original stalker games are based) but we'll see!

Interesting stuff. I like the "game developer as artist" trend, certainly in an era of "COD (adjective)(noun) (primary number)." Although I suppose it's always been that way.

Definitely worth buying, if not only to support an indie project ;)

brrr

TW Developer
I've been debating whether I should get it..........

Yesterday was payday.

I am a 3d artist.

It's only 4.99$ 8|

*Throws money at his screen

Its well worth the money, I think I bought it day one for more than that - I kept finding myself treating it as more of a tech demo and admiring the texturing and lighting work that have been beautifully crafted into it. Not to say the story was bad - because it wasn't - in-fact it had great story telling, all be it rather confusing :p.

I also heard good news that briscoe and his team are now working on the next Amnesia Game (Machine for Pigs) :).

Edad Tace

brought from steam today as well - dunno when i'm gonna give it a go as I have other stuff on my head right now, but it was a good offer and I atleast wanna wait still I get back to my deskop so I can fully enjoy the graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.