• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Deaths and awards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siggi

I do believe this would be a very rewarding addition to the game. Firstly this is how I do it for my eeny weeny tiny KG:

http://www.5thssdivw...s criteria.html

If it was implemented into the game I would add something along the lines of the following:

You get 'killed' in the game you don't actually die, you fall to the ground and cannot move. At that point you press the "MEDIC" button, which flashes you up on the map and a medic-class player has to get to you and heal you. The medic can be killed, in which case he respawns and you remain wounded, still awaiting his ministrations.

However, you can still suicide and respawn, but you lose X number of points, which will impact your chances of achieving the criteria for an award (see where I'm going with this?
).

Obviously your in-game avatar shows the awards on its uniform. Not such a biggie for the allies I guess but the axis should love it. Lol.

Siggi

I'm not sure why not, it's an extra level of immersion and if the player doesn't fancy it he probably won't care much about awards either and can feel free to hit the suicide button and respawn with reduced points (that he also won't care much about presumably).

I remember in the ArmA WW2 mod having a lot of fun organizing a repair truck to come fix my broken tank rather than simply respawning with a new one. Took half an hour, but then the map durations were hours-long with that mod. :)

Mars

Pathfinder Games
I think if we were ever to design a medic system, it would be more stats based. So if a medic brings an injured soldier back to base, the team gets an extra few tickets (or something to that effect). This has been discussed in-depth in previous threads. I personally wouldn't want a medic part of a squad, as I've never been a fan of magically reviving players in the field like in PR or Squad (for realism games).

VonMudra

Sorry to say, but the awards thing simply won't be happening, at least, putting won 'achievement awards' on the uniform. While the idea may be initially sound, as soon as you progress a year basically every single German soldier would be blinged up to just about everything under the sun, even if they're just some rifle carrying garrison soldat. Instead we are simply putting awards on the character models on based on realism and accuracy for what units and ranks would most likely have (IE, garrison units would have few if any awards even for NCOs, while combat units would have a better display of awards amoung veteran troops). And no, I have no plans to ask our character modelers to put in the Knight's Cross- far far too rare. About the highest I would personally recommend is the EKI for the NCO class.

[1CH] John

I do believe this would be a very rewarding addition to the game. Firstly this is how I do it for my eeny weeny tiny KG:

http://www.5thssdivw...s criteria.html

If it was implemented into the game I would add something along the lines of the following:

You get 'killed' in the game you don't actually die, you fall to the ground and cannot move. At that point you press the "MEDIC" button, which flashes you up on the map and a medic-class player has to get to you and heal you. The medic can be killed, in which case he respawns and you remain wounded, still awaiting his ministrations.

However, you can still suicide and respawn, but you lose X number of points, which will impact your chances of achieving the criteria for an award (see where I'm going with this?
).

Obviously your in-game avatar shows the awards on its uniform. Not such a biggie for the allies I guess but the axis should love it. Lol.

Dude, is that your regiment // website? If so, I am VERY interested and if theres any place I'm able to apply I'd love to try it.

Sydd

Sorry to say, but the awards thing simply won't be happening, at least, putting won 'achievement awards' on the uniform. While the idea may be initially sound, as soon as you progress a year basically every single German soldier would be blinged up to just about everything under the sun, even if they're just some rifle carrying garrison soldat. Instead we are simply putting awards on the character models on based on realism and accuracy for what units and ranks would most likely have (IE, garrison units would have few if any awards even for NCOs, while combat units would have a better display of awards amoung veteran troops). And no, I have no plans to ask our character modelers to put in the Knight's Cross- far far too rare. About the highest I would personally recommend is the EKI for the NCO class.

So the Knight's cross is actually rare? Ofc.. Cause whenever I google a german officer 99% of the time, said image has an officer with the cross. But wait, you are actually implementing medals and ribbons? Life complete. I am very happy! :D

SpaceCroissant

This is something on VonMudra's personal 'want' list, rather than something we're saying we'll be implementing. We're not saying no, we're just not saying yes right now given the countless more important things to be doing at the moment!

FlyingR

This is something on VonMudra's personal 'want' list, rather than something we're saying we'll be implementing. We're not saying no, we're just not saying yes right now given the countless more important things to be doing at the moment!

Ahhhh ok hahaha! If you're going to implement such system, I was thinking exactly like [MENTION=1152]drummer93[/MENTION], something for personal viewing, I'm thinking for now something like BF2 except without comparing with other players.

mmiedzianyy

Ahhhh ok hahaha! If you're going to implement such system, I was thinking exactly like [MENTION=1152]drummer93[/MENTION], something for personal viewing, I'm thinking for now something like BF2 except without comparing with other players.

Why? I want to show my shiny medals to you! :D

Siggi

If you read the criteria on my site you'll see it's not that easy. I've played DH 362 hours since Steam began recording hours and probably double that before they started and I'm still working towards my Oak Leaves, and I consider myself an above-average player (mainly through practice rather than any kind of latent talent). So you wouldn't be seeing "every single soldier blinged up", it would in fact quite accurately reflect reality.

But I guess it would require a lot of coding to implement, so meh. Those that care for it can join units that provide it directly. :)

@[1CH] John: we're an axis unit mate, looks like you are allied?

VonMudra

Whoa whoa whoa. Let's back up here- I feel that you guys misunderstood what I was saying. I was saying that medals and ribbons for German troops would appear as a part of the character models. I in no way was refering to an achievement/award system. I am saying that the character model skins themselves will include realistic medals for the rank of the model class and the unit they are representing on the map. They will simply be a part of the character model- not something you can be awarded/win/put oj yourself. They will be no different than any kther insignia on the model skin like litzen/rank/breast eagle.

[1CH] John

If you read the criteria on my site you'll see it's not that easy. I've played DH 362 hours since Steam began recording hours and probably double that before they started and I'm still working towards my Oak Leaves, and I consider myself an above-average player (mainly through practice rather than any kind of latent talent). So you wouldn't be seeing "every single soldier blinged up", it would in fact quite accurately reflect reality.

But I guess it would require a lot of coding to implement, so meh. Those that care for it can join units that provide it directly. :)

@[1CH] John: we're an axis unit mate, looks like you are allied?

WAS allied, I gave my regiment away to someone else and I haven't made a new german account yet.

Siggi

WAS allied, I gave my regiment away to someone else and I haven't made a new german account yet.

The comms-bunker button is on my site, you can register (then I'll have to activate you, anti-spam PITA), post in there and that'll get you started. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.