• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Dev Blog #12: Made in England

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Hello everyone, I'm [TWDEV] Volcol and I'm a 3D and 2D artist over here on the Traction Wars team. To round off our 2012 blogs I'm happy to introduce the Webley Mark IV.

Seeing its first action in WWII, the Mark IV replaced the heavy WW1 Webley MKVI. Designed in 1932, after many trials and tests it was found that the lighter Mark IV with a smaller calibre and double action was equally as good, if not better than the Mark VI at stopping an enemy. It was not the issued British side arm when WW2 broke out, this honour fell to the Enfield No.2, however due to a chronic lack of No.2's being produced for British personnel, mass numbers of both the Mark IV and Mark VI were commissioned. With over half a million produced, the Mark IV ended the war with a fierce reputation and was the official sidearm for British and Commonwealth forces during the war.

The Webley was a fun project to approach. Again, like the Enfield, it seemed deceptively simple. The model had a few tricky spots, namely the muzzle shape and revolving chamber; however I quickly found a way around them. As with the Enfield and P38, I went about creating the high poly version of the Webley first. From this I would go on to produce the normal for the low poly model.

With the low poly model produced, I then went about the task of optimising the model, removing unnecessary triangles and quads to ensure the best poly count for the in-game model.With the low poly model produced, I then went about the task of optimising the model, removing unnecessary triangles and quads to ensure the best poly count for the in-game model.

The high poly bake worked nicely with a few areas to tweak in Photoshop like the grip checkering. With the high poly baked out I went about creating the ambient occlusion, diffuse and specular maps. Using several layers of metal textures I painted in damage and details so the Webley finally started to take shape.
With the diffuse nearing completion, I added in markings, some dirt/wear and a few little details like muddy fingerprints. The texture needs to tell a story, hopefully I've achieved this.

With a solid piece mostly finished I went about fixing a few areas e.g. the diamond checkering on the grip and I produced the specular map. With a few items left to produce for the Webley, like the speed loader, we expect to have this weapon in game soon.

Until then, another big thanks for voting Traction Wars into the Top 100! We've once again been humbled by the response from the community.

The team are still looking for talented individuals. Head over to the recruitment page for more info!

Moody

Awesome stuff. Especially like how good the checkering on the handle looks. Can't wait to get some double action action.

volcol

Re: Dev Blog #12: Made in Englandi

Nice work... :) (but again wish tessellation was the norm already).

We're looking into it but we are trying to strike a balance between something that is aesthetically pleasing and well optimised. We're not a big AAA development group, we dont have people working specificaly in one area, we'd love to do as much as possible but lack the man power to do so, that's not to say we won't try !

MrT

Re: Dev Blog #12: Made in Englandi

We're looking into it but we are trying to strike a balance between something that is aesthetically pleasing and well optimised. We're not a big AAA development group, we dont have people working specificaly in one area, we'd love to do as much as possible but lack the man power to do so, that's not to say we won't try !
I understand... probably will be till next-gen console for PC AAA games to show anything proper. (more than the ~5 microscopically using it now.. don't think there's support in E.G 3dsmax yet either).
(Just annoying to see smooth things withdrawn while knowing technically it shouldn't be fully necessary today).

Last edited:
H

Hans

hey guys i need this releasedate ^^ i cant sit still without these date :-(
i can´t find any date or something else :-(
i need a new WWII game and waiting for this amazing game....
Now i want to say you´r all doing great work......

MrT

Back on subject.
I did a google compare for fun, and noticed a couple of possibly incorrect things, I understand some is game-economizing though, and some perhaps did differ slightly (dunno?), so I'm not sure if there's any point. :p ..but anyway.

replace 3 with e

*The scr3w for the left side handle is missing its slot (only the right side is without slot).
*The same scr3w also has a very finely cogged (brass?) ring around it on both sides.
*The thumb-lever-end of the barrel catch (lock/sights part) looks a bit strange, should be rounded off in different way.
*On the guns r-side an endpoint of a scr3w that holds the barrel catch is missing.
*Just below the missing endpoint there's also a missing notch for the V spring to sit against.

(The left side lever thing NW of the trigger)
*The lever part behind the scr3w is fused with the scr3w (for economy I guess), perhaps put a separating line in the texture.
*The slot in the lower scr3w for the lever should be wider so to make it turn-able with a coin.
*The slot in the upper scr3w is too wide.
*Behind the levers upper part there's a little thing/hole (something) missing.

*The trigger guards roundish side-carving is missing towards the front (but found differing (modern) pics. ..so).

Now I MUST stop this scrutinizing MADNESS.

Last edited:

volcol

It's modelled to the references provided by our researcher and reenactor, there were a good few variations of the Webley - differing pieces like screws, grips, hammers etc... all produced during the same era so It's difficult to find two Webley revolver references that look are exactly what we are looking for on google - especially pictures that provide the necessary angles and offer a decent enough resolution, which is why I try to avoid it as difficult to find a solid reference. This isn't in game (animated etc) quite yet so no art is final but it's 99% of the way as with most other weapons. As its an on going project they're likely to see overhauls in the future along side further development. Can always drop a pm with details in the future to avoid long lists :)

MrT

Yeah pm, sorry. Minor things anyway that goes unnoticed in-game (without researching), perhaps even to an actual owner of the wep.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.