• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Far Cry 2 makes me mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Apple

So FarCry 2 is the dumbest game I've ever played. Although I wouldn't really know because after an hour of playing it doesn't work anymore.

I freaking want my $20 back steam!

Signed,
Unhappy Apple

Last edited:

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
Re: Some light relief... |56k Warning|

Agreed. Ubisoft ruined it by taking the rights from Crytek. The original was pretty awesome, but Far Cry 2 was just horrid. Shame on you Ubisoft, shame on you.

Sir Apple

It just doesn't run well - very very long loading times. It takes around 15 minutes to load my game save. For the fun of things I tried the editor and oh god... after placing a few vehicles and goofing off with guns it just stops working.

The game is just poorly optimized etc. - theres a lot of cool ideas and features, its just they are portrayed poorly.

brrr

TW Developer

Yeah a lot of things about the game are good, for example the general gun/shooting mechanics and AI is rather good. However so many silly things theve implemented let the entire game down.

The most annoying things I found were constantly having to repair vehicles when travelling from mission to mission, I couldn't even get to mission locations without being drawn into several fire-fights along the way, often with with the factions I'm working working for in the game!

Guns also get damaged ludicrously quickly and exploded all the time :p. The map also annoyed me in the sense that it pretended to be open world in most cases, because the majority of the map situate s itself in steep valleys and gorges. Oh yeah, also the story sucks balls and plot twist is face palm worthy.

I've never had any performance issues with it though.

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games

See I quite liked the level creator; i'm not sure why games don't have them anymore (Timesplitters was awesome.) I just wish you could make singleplayer maps and weren't just confined to multiplayer ones.

Sir Apple

lol brrr so true. The guns are weird - they handle okay but at the same time aren't quite the most realistic ever. At first I thought the jamming was awesome, but then it kept happening and my gun blew up :( Luckily I have a SAW, but still, a bit odd. I think its a good feature that was over done.

When my jeep gets ruined I just steal another one :p But I agree about the constant combat - what makes me mad is when I'm on foot or such and a patrol of enemy comes by on a jeep or such and they don't go away.

Then I shoot a zebra.

Apple

_Franky_

Oh gosh, I have some serious beef with that game as well. I never finished it because I had 2 (!) game-breaking bugs happen in 2 different playthroughs. I enjoyed the game itself actually, it ran beautifully (what graphics card do you have, Apple? Also, defrag your HDD, I suggest Auslogics, it should not take that long to load) The worst gameplay mechanic was the re-spawning of enemy checkpoints along the road. They re-spawn after about 3 minutes and when you come back, you'll be like, "but hey, I just killed all those guys!?!" Never had too much trouble with exploding weapons because I would constantly visit the weapons dealer in order to upgrade my stuff with diamonds and exchange my used weapons. Same for the vehicles, you can "upgrade" them to repair faster or last longer I think. The fact your character has malaria gets old pretty fast too and you will be pissed when your NPC buddies keep dying. But lets get back to those 2 bugs I mentioned. DO NOT explore the desert before prompted to do so! I got stuck in a sand storm near a safe house and there is a story event that is supposed to happen to get you out of it. However I went to that location before the story would tell me to, simply because I love to explore. Game broken, could not get away from that safe house any more and I had just gotten rid of old save games, so I had to re-start the game entirely. I researched the issue on the internet, no fix for it except loading an old save. So I started from scratch, thinking, f@#$%^ this always happens when I play Ubisoft Montreal games, I ALWAYS find the worst of the worst when it comes to game-breaking bugs. So then I start over.
I enjoy the game and all, decent atmosphere, nice visuals, cool guns. So I get to the final mission eventually. And guess what? Game-breaker approaching with big steps. I am supposed to kill a specific man in a town full of his soldiers. BUT. HE IS FRIKKIN INVINCIBLE!!! The quest marker shows me the person to kill. He stands in front of the door. He is not hostile. I go across the street, bust out the grenade launcher and let it rip. Explosions, chaos, bad guys dying left and right, smoke clears and I see the guy standing in front of his door as if nothing ever happened. He is the last man standing, I get up close and personal, machete to the face, nothing, not even a reaction. And I'm like, hm, maybe this guy wont die, but to me, this game just certainly did. Uninstalled it, never looked back.

Last edited:

Sir Apple

My graphics card is an Nvidia - it could definitely be upgraded. Oddly enough now its loading fast, so I don't know o_0.

But you made me not really want to play through or give it any effort, although I must admit for the few hours I've played I've only done a few missions and the rest of the time I goof around :p

What I do not understand is how to clear enemy checkpoints. I've killed everyone at a ton of them, but only 3 of them are officially cleared. And it seems so random when the game decides I cleared it.

_Franky_

Clearing a checkpoint, weirdly enough, means not necessarily to kill everyone there, but to discover the main ammo/health/explosive pickup in that location. So it's not even really cleared, because everyone will re-spawn in 3 minutes.

The game could have been quite a great game and I still had my fair share of fun, I played for about 40 hours or so and that's also why I know it's downfalls so well.

Sir Apple

Ah okay that makes sense. Checkpoints are annoying though, because when I am given a missions I have to offroad to avoid checkpoints. If I go the main roads I will, a) run into an enemy vehicle patrolling or b) run into a checkpoint and use ammo and such that I need for the missions.

I can understand going back to my gun cache thingy to get a new PKM and such but its so far away half the time from where I am, so I end up using enemy weapons until they jam constantly and or blow up.

_Franky_

Have you figured out how to fast travel using the bus stations? Makes getting to a weapons dealer easier. And use jeeps to travel with a mounted gun. Quickly press "C" while driving to mount the gunner's seat. Saves some ammo. You could also just race right through those checkpoints, enemies might give chase in a vehicle, so again, mount the gunner's seat, take out the other vehicle and then keep going if you don't want to lose time and ammo.

Sir Apple

I went to a bus station and was hoping I could drive one of those buses but no :( I didn't know I could ride the bus to get places?

_Franky_

At the bus stations there should be 4 individual maps on wooden boards. They will show you the locations that you can fast travel to. There is no actual bus ride though, you hear the sound of a bus and bam, loading. :)

Sir Apple

Hmm okay I'll have to try that :)

So far the most fun thing in the game is roundin up Zebras with a 4 wheeler... :) And then... thump!

Sir Apple

Okay so I'm 6 or so hours in and maybe the game isn't ALL bad. I got a flamethrower, and its quite fun, regardless of other issues the game has :)

I've found something fun to do is do missions to get diamonds, then just buy new guns :D

I really want the mortar though.

Status
Not open for further replies.