• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Festung Europa has moved to Unreal Engine 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mopskind

Greetings Citizens,

as of November the Team of the game Festung Europa, which most people here should be well aware of, have moved from CryEngine to Unreal Engine 4. (Let's Get (Un)Real)
The reason for that seems to be that UE4 offers a much better workflow allowing for muuuch quicker implementation of important game aspects.
My question would be if the developers of Traction Wars ever considered doing the same? Or is the game already too far developed to change now or are there any other important aspects to why the team stuck with CryEngine?
I'm really just asking out of curiousity, since i am always interested in such fundamental choices of gamesdesign :)

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
They have indeed, and best of luck to them. The main reason TWs is on Cryengine as it use to be a mod for Crysis Warhead, then we became an all powerful standalone when the SDK came out. Cryengine is pretty much tailor made for FPS games and it offers what we want. It has it's issues, but having personally used all three of the main engines, they all do. Pretty sure the only way you wouldn't have issues with your engine is if you made it yourself, but that would take at least 3 hours and we don't really have the time for that.

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
Indeed, every engine has it's strengths and weaknesses but personally I'd prefer CE over them all.

To answer your questions;

1) No, we won't consider changing yet again to a completely different engine.
2) CryEngine is arguably one of the most diverse and highly regarded engines out there - the possibilities are endless with it, and the easy-of-use is top of the line from personal experience.

Maniche

volcol

We haven't really considered anything but CryEngine. Having worked out all the little details we need to do to create the game, it's the engine of choice for us. Arguably (and seemingly!) a fair bit more difficult than Unreal, we've overcome the issues that have plagued us recently, and the future is looking great.

I used to be a die-hard Unreal engine nut, but hell, the past few weeks alone have converted me.

We could've gone with a new engine, had to redo a whole host of things but heck, I guess we're gluttons for punishment, but it will all be worth it.

Stay tuned for special things :)

Status
Not open for further replies.