• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Fireteams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniallator

In PR, if a squad has up to 6-8 players, good SLs will often divide it into two fireteams; because there isn't an actual fireteam feature, this is accomplished by telling who he wants for fireteam one that they're in FT1, and who he wants for fireteam two that they're in FT2, then naming a leader for each team.

Dividing a squad into fireteams is extremely useful; it gives the SL more flexibility, and makes giving orders clearer and faster. For example, if the squad needs to cross an open area, the SL can just say "FT1 is going to cross, FT2 you stay here and cover us" or "FT1 clear that building, FT2 clear that other building". I'd really, really like to see an actual fireteam feature in TW.

The way I see it working is, the SL would open up the spawn screen, look at his section under the sections tab, and right click a player's name; if the section doesn't have any fireteams, the right click menu (or whatever it's called) would have an option for...

Create fireteam

If the section already has one or more fireteams (let's say it has two) and the player the SL right clicked isn't in one, there'd be options for...

Add to Fireteam 1
Add to Fireteam 2
Create fireteam

If the player the SL right clicked is in one (let's say he's in FT1) but the fireteam he's in doesn't have a fireteam leader, there'd be options for...

Make fireteam leader
Add to Fireteam 2
Leave fireteam
Create fireteam

I think a section should be able to have up to three fireteams. If a section has three fireteams, the create fireteam option would of course disappear. Players wouldn't be able to join/leave fireteams or become FTLs themselves, everything fireteam-related would be done by the SL. One thing I'm not sure about, is whether fireteams should be organized by fireteam number (Fireteam 1, Fireteam 2, Fireteam 3) or color (Yellow team, Orange team, Purple team). I like the idea of colors, because players' nametags could be colored to the fireteam they're in, though that means you can't use colors already used for nametags (I assume blue and green), and you can't use red, becuase players might mistake that for an enemy.

Thoughts?

FlyingR

Yes, definitely important, but your system although very good, maybe it's a bit too much and too much pressing and not being to see the actual battle. It should be done much simpler and faster, I agree with colors would be better.

Aniallator

Yes, definitely important, but your system although very good, maybe it's a bit too much and too much pressing and not being to see the actual battle. It should be done much simpler and faster, I agree with colors would be better.

I think it's fine; I mean, think about it in terms of putting down map markers in PR. It's the same process, you open the spawn screen, right click something, and select an option from the right click menu. Plus, assuming you've been in the game from the beginning, it's something you'd do during the prep time. But I'm open to suggestions! And yeah, I think using colors would be best; that way, you just have to look at a section member and see what color their nametag is to see which fireteam they're in.

Last edited:

FlyingR

I think it's fine; I mean, think about it in terms of putting down map markers in PR. It's the same process, you open the spawn screen, right click something, and select an option from the right click menu. Plus, assuming you've been in the game from the beginning, it's something you'd do during the prep time. But I'm open to suggestions! And yeah, I think using colors would be best; that way, you just have to look at a section member and see what color their nametag is to see which fireteam they're in.

Ah yeah, forgot about the prep time, definitely should be done then! Although color is the best like you say, shouting "Orange Team" or "Purple Team" sounds... weird... xD

Aniallator

Ah yeah, forgot about the prep time, definitely should be done then! Although color is the best like you say, shouting "Orange Team" or "Purple Team" sounds... weird... xD

*scratchy radio*
"This is Burnt Umber team, we're taking heavy small arms and RPG fire! We need support immediately! HELP!"
"Copy! PERIWINKLE TEAM INBOUND!"

xD

Perhaps nametags for players on the same team can be white, while players in the same section can be green... that at least frees up blue for fireteams, because no one's going to enjoy being in Purple team xD

Flare

Vanguard Backer
Perhaps this idea is too much for the game. If a section has 6-8 players, that means there will be only 2 sections per team in the first chapter. I'd rather just make 2 sections of 4 each, then you can have 2 SLs to spawn on, you can still talk with proximity VoIP, and easy organisation.

Aniallator

Perhaps this idea is too much for the game. If a section has 6-8 players, that means there will be only 2 sections per team in the first chapter. I'd rather just make 2 sections of 4 each, then you can have 2 SLs to spawn on, you can still talk with proximity VoIP, and easy organisation.

It's true that Chapter One: Overlord will have a 32 player cap, but I don't see how being limited to 16 players (two full sections) per team affects the use of fireteams in any way? It doesn't matter how many players or sections your team has, if your section has 6-8 players and your SL has divided it into fireteams, it'll perform the same way whether there's one or four other sections on your team. As for using small sections, they aren't useful because not only will some roles probably require X players in the section before they can be used (specifically preventing small sections from using them), but even if it's divided into fireteams a full section still performs as a full section much of the time, the respective fireteams only splitting and acting on a fireteam level when the SL sees fit. On a whole, small sections are simply not nearly, of course, as effective as large sections. Come Chapter Two and vehicles, we'll see bigger maps, and the player cap may increase to 64 or even - eventually - 128 players.

Remember that fireteams would be completely optional for the SL to create, so if he doesn't want to have them he doesn't have to :)

And just to clarify spawning, it can be accomplished by two means; spawning at objectives, and spawning on rally points. A rally point is a temporary spawn point placed by an SL that has around ten spawns available, and can only be spawned on by members of his section. When all the spawns have been used the rally disappears, and following a cooldown time the SL can place another one. Hope that clears that up :)

Aniallator

I see Rally Points lasting like 5-7 minutes or until there are enemies nearby.

Well they need a spawn limit too, but yeah a 5-7 minute time limit before disappearing as well as disappearing if enemies come within, say, five meters. I think two minutes is a reasonable cooldown time.

Status
Not open for further replies.