• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

FW 190 wreck dig

Status
Not open for further replies.

siben

I wanted to share some pictures and information with everybody here. Long time ago a FW 190 was shot down about 4km from where I live. Last year a local decided to go look for it and dig up the remains. The results of that dig was on display this weekend in my town. He also made a website with some information about it. I am sure some of you will enjoy the site and pictures. Quite nice and interesting to see a wreck like this. Also very interesting to see such a large amount of personal items intact considering the air plane went straight into the ground at high speed.

Gelbe 13 - Home

Pictures album:
Gelbe 13 - Album on Imgur

Also, any German speaking forum member that can translate the lyrics of this soldiers song? The caption said it was a bit naughty but they did not translate it.
2016-05-15 09.34.39.jpg

Aniallator

Very cool, [MENTION=1855]siben[/MENTION]! There are all kinds of cool wrecks, but plane wrecks are my favorite.

FlyingR

Yeaaaaaah! Plane wrecks are the best, especially when they supposedly found Sain-Exupery's P-38!

Good find siben!

Aniallator

I don't know if any of you guys have seen many wrecks or anything, but what's your favorite of the wrecks you've seen? Anything WW2, bunkers, planes, ships, whatever; and I don't mean stuff preserved in a museum, I mean actual wrecks.

siben

The coolest i ever saw? some peeps pulled out an LVT out of the river Scheld near Antwerp and where selling it. Was in great condition still. was around 2008 ish, dont know what happened with it but my guess is a museum.

Bunker wise? well, i don't know where to begin. I have seen hundreds but the coolest one that i saw, if it would have been intact, was a German mortar bunker in Ostend Harbour. You might remember that type of bunker from CoH. Could have shot 50mm mortar shells with a speed of about 1 every second. Somehow i liked it more then the V2 launch bunkers and V3 bunker i have seen.

All the other wrecks where in museums. the coolest one was probably the almost intact crash landed me109 in Duxford.

Last edited:

Aniallator

Coolest plane wreck I ever saw was a B5N Kate that had ditched next to a reef off New Hanover island, in PNG. It was in six meters of great water, and was in excellent shape for something that'd been sitting on the bottom for the last seventy years. Even the canopy was intact, and though the paint job had faded, it hadn't worn off; you could still make out the hinomarus on the wings.

As for bunkers, I'd have to say this one in Rabaul. As Japanese bunkers go it's a normal design, but Yamamoto had his own room in the bunker; it's pretty small, but the ceiling's hemispherical and has a map of Southeast Asia drawn across it, so he would've looked up on it when lying on his bunk. It's also where he spent his last night before setting off for Bougainville, only to be show down by P-38s. Not bunkers, but the Japanese tunnel systems in the hills surrounding Rabaul were pretty cool as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.