• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Game balance

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingR

Hey, I don't know if it has been asked before, but how will you reach balance while having history accuracy? I mean, let's say as an example, Operation Market Garden, at the Arnhem bridges, will the German army have the actual or similar number of armor whilst the British/Polish pure infantry? Or any other battle, where one or the other had weapon/vehicle superiority will be as the battle actually was, or the inferior force will be given some "edge" to balance the battle?

What about the tickets? Will it be always the same? Or if someone has asset superiority the other will have more tickets to compensate?

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Balancing is an area that you can only plan so much for on paper but at the end of the day extensive testing is the only way to achieve a good result. Our starting point is always one of realism and historical accuracy. Sometimes though we have to make compromises so that the game is fun from both points of view - the trick is limiting that compromise by careful level design and objective selection/placement so the end result is both realistic and fun!

Similarly tickets are along realistic lines and then adjusted.

Aristle

War has never really been balanced, but as Naga said above, the right balance between historical accuracy and compromises can lead to appropriate gameplay.

Langs

Now I like the sounds of this game and the balance system. I admire the fact that you want to keep historical value, but I mean with fairness that may get a little hard to achieve. With feedback and of points of views you guys will get there.xD As this is my first post, the little that I checked in the Forums I'm impressed with the friendly attitudes that others can lack. I believe with it that all things should work out. Can't way to actual get started on the game.

FlyingR

War has never really been balanced, but as Naga said above, the right balance between historical accuracy and compromises can lead to appropriate gameplay.

Yeah I know, but I wanted to know exactly how will they do balance? Will it depend on each map? Did the developers find a way already or are still testing? If so can we know or we will know in the next update or when the game comes out?

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
As this is my first post, the little that I checked in the Forums I'm impressed with the friendly attitudes that others can lack. I believe with it that all things should work out. Can't way to actual get started on the game.

Welcome to the community [MENTION=2632]Langs[/MENTION]! Always nice to see a fresh friendly face.

Yeah I know, but I wanted to know exactly how will they do balance? Will it depend on each map? Did the developers find a way already or are still testing? If so can we know or we will know in the next update or when the game comes out?

The balance depends on each map but it's never going to be hugely tilted one way - after all it's got to be fun for both sides!

We'll keep working on the balance until the very last moment. The changes get smaller and smaller as time goes on but testing throughly is the only real way to know how it will work "in the wild". Players are such unpredictable creatures in some respects :)

FlyingR

The balance depends on each map but it's never going to be hugely tilted one way - after all it's got to be fun for both sides!

We'll keep working on the balance until the very last moment. The changes get smaller and smaller as time goes on but testing throughly is the only real way to know how it will work "in the wild". Players are such unpredictable creatures in some respects :)

Thanks for the clarification! Hopefully whatever you guys are working on will work flawlessly! :)

drummer93

In my opinion, the infantry equipment of both factions were very good. Some weapons had some advantages against their counterparts, but no faction stands too. Maybe the problem are the maps. I can see that the maps had a lot of vegetation (really cool), but this give a lot of advantages to the team that is in defense role. The devs will have to think in 2 points: first, the spawn places, and second, the respawn time. Maybe the team that is in assault role should have a shorter respawn time. It respects the numerical advantage that usually must be in an attack in real life.

Pvt_Larry

In my opinion as long as bullets still hurt things will be ok. It's once you start screwing around with values for the sake of balance that things get ugly (like H&G).

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
In my opinion as long as bullets still hurt things will be ok. It's once you start screwing around with values for the sake of balance that things get ugly (like H&G).

There's a difference between map balance and team/weapon balancing.

Map balancing is what we are predominately talking about here. Weapon balancing will be realistic with only subtle adjustments if necessary.

Last edited:

FlyingR

I was talking generally, I was asking how the balance will be map wise, weapon wise, vehicle wise, etc.

There's a difference between map balance and team/weapon balancing.

Map balancing is what we are predominately talking about here. Weapon balancing will be realistic with only subtle adjustments if necessary.

I like this answer very much. All in all, although weapons and vehicles can dramatically affect the battle, what should predominate it's the skills, tactics and strategies implemented by the factions that should be decisive.

Of course if the unbalance is obvious or bias then yes it's not fair, but I'm sure TW will not let this happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.