• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Historical Educational Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingR

I'll start with Metatron - Evolution of Knight Armor from the 11th Century until the 15th Century

This video will basically teach you how to distinguish the main medieval armors worn from the 1066 until 1485.

[video=youtube;nhIP6dfr_FE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhIP6dfr_FE[/video]

Metatron is a pretty well known youtuber that makes video regarding historical topics like Roman, Medieval and Japanese history. He also debunks lots of movies and articles, so it's pretty interesting and definitely learn a lot!

FlyingR

Since today is still D-day for us in the Americas, here are a few videos to commemorate this major event. These videos though, focus on the German side of the Allied operation (for a change).

Kriegsmarine in D-day by the channel "Military History Visualized"

Luftwaffe in D-day by the channel "Bismarck"

[video=youtube;AGT7J_diIjA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGT7J_diIjA[/video]

Infantry in D-day (Atlantic Wall) by the channel "Military History Visualized"

Military History Visualized has a very cool channel with great videos that talk about about most modern and some ancient times videos in a simply yet efficient way.

Last edited:

VARRILETE

the other side of history dont be biased by propaganda documentarys, i dont want to hurt any feelings
what bombing raids were really, i know both sides did it but "freedom" team did it more way more

VonMudra

"dont be biased by propaganda documentarys"

Proceeds to post a Russian propaganda documentary.

Also no one denies or covers up the horrors of strategic bombing, so....

FlyingR

Interesting video regarding the naval armament and strategic situation of the biggest powers in the world!

VonMudra

is not russian propaganda it only has russian subs... author is thomas goodrich HELLSTORM | Exposing The Real Genocide of Nazi Germany
it was the video i found on youtube
maybe u dont denie it, but there a lot of history channel historian maybe not in this forum im new, but i got a 2 weeks bann in other forum for posting this video so

WW2 sucked, especially for civilians. But "historians" like this tend to be nazi apologists looking to pin something on the allies in order to prove that what the nazi's did can be excused CUZ HEY LOOK GUYS THE ALLIES BOMBED HAMBURG.

Real history is recognizing the realities of war, exploring the complexities of war-time choice theory, and accepting that the Allies did bad things, but that most of the bad things done by the allies were considered normal war-time choices by all nations involved, and have only recently been considered criminal. But what the Nazis did was considered not only criminal at the time and by all allied nations involved, but something that even they recognized as criminal and did their best to cover up and excuse at Nuremberg.

TLDR: Saying "but this other guy did a bad thing to me" doesn't excuse you from doing truly evil things to innocent victims.

drummer93

"but this other guy did a bad thing to me" doesn't excuse you from doing truly evil things to innocent victims.

when I saw the video I thought in other conclusion. War is sh*t for all but politicians. I mean a bullet killing an innocent is a bullet killing an innocent, I don't care if it is a Nazi bullet or a British one. But It's true that a lot of people use this for Nazi propaganda (I think this documentary is Nazi propaganda, not Russian)

Last edited:

FlyingR

... but politicians.

Hitler and Mussolini beg to differ! :p

More than politicians, I would say companies, including banks. They are the ones who truly profit from wars. In WWII, a part from weapon/vehicle manufacturers you have other companies like Coca Cola, IBM, Hugo Boss, to just name a few, that profited like mad.

Today you have oil companies and other natural resources companies that take advantage of war.

drummer93

Hitler and Mussolini beg to differ! :p

More than politicians, I would say companies, including banks. They are the ones who truly profit from wars. In WWII, a part from weapon/vehicle manufacturers you have other companies like Coca Cola, IBM, Hugo Boss, to just name a few, that profited like mad.

Today you have oil companies and other natural resources companies that take advantage of war.

good point

VARRILETE

WW2 sucked, especially for civilians. But "historians" like this tend to be nazi apologists looking to pin something on the allies in order to prove that what the nazi's did can be excused CUZ HEY LOOK GUYS THE ALLIES BOMBED HAMBURG.

Real history is recognizing the realities of war, exploring the complexities of war-time choice theory, and accepting that the Allies did bad things, but that most of the bad things done by the allies were considered normal war-time choices by all nations involved, and have only recently been considered criminal. But what the Nazis did was considered not only criminal at the time and by all allied nations involved, but something that even they recognized as criminal and did their best to cover up and excuse at Nuremberg.

TLDR: Saying "but this other guy did a bad thing to me" doesn't excuse you from doing truly evil things to innocent victims.

im not a nazi apologist or nothing, i have a thing with all those movies and docs showing only what nazis and japs did wrong but no one says about all those innocent german civs bombed to oblivion. in my opinion commanders of the air forces of the allys involved in the bombing of civilians should be in jail ....

Aniallator

im not a nazi apologist or nothing, i have a thing with all those movies and docs showing only what nazis and japs did wrong but no one says about all those innocent german civs bombed to oblivion. in my opinion commanders of the air forces of the allys involved in the bombing of civilians should be in jail ....

What do you mean no one says anything about them? They are a huge subject of debate :p Look at the Dresden bombings, for example.

FlyingR

I think what Mudra is saying is that even if what the Allies did was wrong, it still doesn't justify for what the Axis did.

They are both in the wrong, like Aniallator said, look a Dresden, or even look at the atomic bombs dropped in Japan. They were terrible things, yes, but also shooting prisoners of wars like the Japanese did or like Germans did at Malmedy (to give an example), or using the V1s and V2s to blow up cities in England, were also terrible. This is all aside the Holocaust (and yes, it did happen, inb4 conspirators).

Again, like Mudra said, WWII was terrible, especially for the civilians, in both sides, who went through such an ordeal and lost all that could be lost.

Now, sure we will never see many movies of the Axis during WWII because the victorious side writes the history, propaganda, Hollywood, etc. etc. and it does suck, but there's not much we can do... We can search for series or movies like Generation War but we'll just have to settle for the old war movies, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, and so on.

VonMudra

The problem with stating "We should throw them all in prison" is we're applying a modern view of warfare to the period view of warfare. Going by the logic of every civilian death is a crime in war (it's actually not, not then and not today, as civilian deaths are basically unavoidable in any war- AGAIN WAR ****ING SUCKS), basically every officer in WW2 who served on the front lines was in some way responsible for the killing of civilians and destruction of civilian property. Hell, going by indirect cause and effect, we could argue that every single person involved in WW2 was responsible for civilian deaths (some guy making the fuses for bombs in Detroit is indirectly helping kill civilians, etc). This is why we cannot just go and slap our moral compass on past events- we were not there, were not making the choices, and must always parce our views with the actual choices and options that were open at the time. While we can argue whether or not the bombing campaign did anything to speed up the war with Germany (most likely it did little to nothing in terms of strategic damage), to morally go "Oh well they're all criminals for doing it" is to totally miss the entire point of the war and the ways war is fought. Hell, we didn't even punish the Nazis for such crimes- strategic bombing and unrestricted submarine warfare campaigns were proved, in Nuremberg, to have been legitimate tactics of the war, partly through testimony from allied generalship, and none of the high-rankers charged were found guilty on those conditions.

VonMudra

Now to be on topic, here, enjoy a great documentary on one of the most tragic battles of the US Civil War.

VARRILETE

anti tank weapons and tactics i think is training video. and is like some hollywood movie is russian translated but u can hear the german

Flare

Vanguard Backer
Funny how Bismarck's vid has a Ju-87D on the thumbnail when at Dunkirk they used the Ju-87B.

FlyingR

I present to you: Otto Skorzeny

"Otto Skorzeny (12 June 1908 – 5 July 1975) was an Austrian SS-Obersturmbannführer (lieutenant colonel) in the German Waffen-SS during World War II. During the war, he was involved in a string of operations, including the rescue mission that freed the deposed Italian dictator Benito Mussolini from captivity. Skorzeny led Operation Greif, in which German soldiers infiltrated enemy lines using their opponents' languages, uniforms, and customs. For this he was charged at the Dachau Military Tribunal with breaching the 1907 Hague Convention, but was acquitted. At the end of the war, Skorzeny was involved with the Werwolf guerrilla movement.

Skorzeny escaped from an internment camp in 1948, hiding out on a Bavarian farm for 18 months, then spent time in Paris and Salzburg before eventually settling in Spain. In 1953 he became a military advisor to Egyptian President Mohammed Naguib and recruited a staff of former SS and Wehrmacht officers to train the Egyptian Army, staying on to advise President Gamal Abdel Nasser. In 1962, Skorzeny was recruited by the Mossad and conducted operations for the agency. He spent time in Argentina, where he acted as an advisor to President Juan Perón and as a bodyguard for Eva Perón.[1] Skorzeny died of lung cancer on 5 July 1975 in Madrid. He was 67."

Otto Skorzeny - Wikipedia

What an interesting subject, he's been through everything and everywhere, including helping the Mossad, which is one of the most ironic moment in history.

Aniallator

Damn. I knew he led the rescue of Mussolini and Operation Grief, but all that other stuff... wow. Double irony because he worked for the Egyptians before he worked for Mossad!

Status
Not open for further replies.