• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Hobbit Filming to Start Feb 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
BBC News said:
Filming on The Hobbit is set to begin in February after it was finally given the go-ahead by film studio bosses. Warner Bros also announced that Peter Jackson, who directed the Oscar-winning Lord of the Rings trilogy, would helm the two-part prequel.
The films, based on JRR Tolkien's book, had been delayed for months due to MGM Studios' - which owns half the project - ongoing financial woes.
No release dates for the movies have been given.

Source: BBC News Website

Rumoured that Part 1 to be slated for December 2012

Last edited:

brrr

TW Developer
Nothing is confirmed that I have read but it seems very likely. Which in my view is only a good thing as Jackson = LOTR in my opinion.

Yeah, i was worried del toro would turn the hobbit into a fairytale nightmarish film which wouldnt fit with the style of lotr's. Good to see Jackson actualy making films again, seeing as Dambusters and Halo never got off the ground.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Re: 'The Hobbit' is moving

I'm actually kind of gutted, would have been cool to have it filmed in England, the countries landscapes that inspired Tolkien to write the Hobbit in the first place. Oh well the films will still be awesome :).

I'm quite pleased actually because I'm pretty sure it would have been filmed in eastern-europe like most cost-saving films these days. If England was an option I'd be jumping up and down but I'm cynical enough to think Warner Bros would have taken the cheapest option if they did leave NZ.

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games

Why not Norway? Breathtaking mountains and nature, but not as "farm-y" as England I believe.

Maniche

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games

Depends what part of the UK your looking at. The north is rolling downs or peaks and valleys. Not on the same scale as Norway but its the sort of terrain Tolkien probably had in mind for some of the world considering he was English :p

Fuchs

Vanguard Backer

The only Tolkien book I liked. Ah well, still enough years left.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games

The only Tolkien book I liked. Ah well, still enough years left.

I must admit the Hobbit is my favourite of the Tolkien novels as it was that bit easier to read. The War of the Ring Trilogy is a tough by most people's standards - as for the others... not to be attempted while tired :p

brrr

TW Developer

I must admit the Hobbit is my favourite of the Tolkien novels as it was that bit easier to read. The War of the Ring Trilogy is a tough by most people's standards - as for the others... not to be attempted while tired :p

Exactly, I've read both The Hobbit and Fellowship and its almost as if each book was written by different people. the hobbit was much better written and easier to understand.

I might be wrong but I think The Hobbit was the only book written and published while Tolkien was alive and the lord of the rings were books that had been started by Tolkien and never published and his son finished and published them.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games

I'm pretty sure LOTR was published within his lifetime. The other "background" books were published after his death or at least that is what I've always thought.

Ragetti

Vanguard Friend
The NZ Government gave them a large subsidy to help out in production of the Hobbit, hence why it is being filmed in NZ.
Also, as a side note, if any of you have been to NZ you would notice huge similarities between the UK and NZ. One of the reasons it was filmed here in the first place. NZ is just like the UK except with a slightly better climate! so no need to stop filming for rain etc hehe

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
That's great news! I must admit I haven't checked to see what's happening with the filming recently - I just assumed it was going ahead.

Good to see you back on here Ragetti - long time no see :)

Last edited:

brrr

TW Developer

Video of pure awesomeness:
Though it annoys me that they keep referring to goblins as ORKS when there is a very distinct difference.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games

:O now I'm excited!

It's going to be amazing to follow the progress and see it (almost) as it happens. To work on something like that must be truly amazing - if only I were that lucky ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.