• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

In-Mame Multiplayer Voice Acting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fegelein

Greetings from Greece, Athens!
I haven't posted much around here for the past few weeks, since I'm really busy with exams, sorry for that. ;)

So this is a topic that might have been posted in the Forum before, so I hope this doesn't count as spam. ^^
In-game voice acting. Pretty immersive, don't ya thing? I was watching gameplay videos from the game 'Escape from Tarkov' and I noticed the player models would talk under specific situations, which I found really cool!

When the player is under fire, his character starts yelling and insulting the enemy player, which is pretty realistic and immersive! When the player got a kill, his character once again confirmed it by saying "One down". (That also seems like a great way to let the player know when he actually got a kill, since there will be no HUD for it).
When the player runs out of ammo, his character again complains about it or lets the others around know.

I wonder if the developers have already thought about adding this or if they will consider it? It seems like a great addition to me! I'd love it if the teams had voice actors based on Nationality. British will of course talk in English while Germans would talk in their own language!
What are your thoughts?

FlyingR

Greetings from Greece, Athens!
I haven't posted much around here for the past few weeks, since I'm really busy with exams, sorry for that. ;)

So this is a topic that might have been posted in the Forum before, so I hope this doesn't count as spam. ^^
In-game voice acting. Pretty immersive, don't ya thing? I was watching gameplay videos from the game 'Escape from Tarkov' and I noticed the player models would talk under specific situations, which I found really cool!

When the player is under fire, his character starts yelling and insulting the enemy player, which is pretty realistic and immersive! When the player got a kill, his character once again confirmed it by saying "One down". (That also seems like a great way to let the player know when he actually got a kill, since there will be no HUD for it).
When the player runs out of ammo, his character again complains about it or lets the others around know.

I wonder if the developers have already thought about adding this or if they will consider it? It seems like a great addition to me! I'd love it if the teams had voice actors based on Nationality. British will of course talk in English while Germans would talk in their own language!
What are your thoughts?

The thing is that I believe that at the moment it is not a priority. Also, since there will be proximity/local mumble, the enemies can hear you. This is a game where stealth and surprise is a huge factor so if for x reason your character says something (let's say "Frag out" or "Fire") when you're about to ambush an enemy location, you will be heard and the enemies will have some time to react.

Also it would be annoying that if your section leader is giving you orders and your character is yelling something, you might miss what the leader is saying or just lose concentration.

Maybe you have seen the TW video about the tanks. When the tank is moving the tank crew are shouting things. It's cool and all but I don't think it's very practical when you're trying to communicate with your crew and other squads.

Edit:
This is the video

Imagine trying to give orders and the some character is talking? For single player it's the best, but again, multiplayer it's not practical. Of course the chatter in the video is for demonstration only!

Last edited:

drummer93

I agree [MENTION=2433]FlyingR[/MENTION]. Other thing that I don't like about this idea: "When the player got a kill, his character once again confirmed it by saying "One down". I think this is not realistic. Some times is difficult to determinate if you killed an enemy or not (someone who plays PR, know this)

Last edited:

mmiedzianyy

Also as [MENTION=2433]FlyingR[/MENTION] mentioned, imagine stealth situation when you have to take down an enemy with a knife and your character shouts: "eat that mothe******r" :) Its a nice feature but not in multiplayer game that aims realism at higher level as TW does.

Aniallator

As everyone's pointed out, voice acting is a great feature in single player games or games that don't use VOIP; I think it'll be cool, for example, in Escape from Tarkov. However, it's not suited to a game like TW. To answer you question, there will be voice acting in TW, English for the Brits, German for the Germans :) I imagine it's something that can be disabled/enabled in the settings.

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
Give me a good old commo-rose that keeps me in control of my avatar's voice and I think it's a great feature (of course calls for medic when wounded, dying shouts and similar "reflex" actions should not be controllable). While I do like RO2's quite immersive automatic shouts, I think they can sometimes definitely get in the way of stealthy action. Maybe they could be turned off when the SL orders the fireteam to be stealthy (either manually or automatically - automatically would better in order to avoid scorning and potential arguments between players)?

Or maybe try to implement a context-sensitive commo-rose? Sort of like BF3's press Q to spot/give orders, just here it would be used to communicate. For example pressing Q while pointed on an enemy soldier would make him shout a general alert (something like "Jerry infantry ahead!"), pressing Q while reloading would make him shout "cover me while I reload!" etc.

I know that all this would be more work, but IMHO it would seriously improve the game. Please at least consider adding this for later Chapters!

FlyingR

Or maybe try to implement a context-sensitive commo-rose? Sort of like BF3's press Q to spot/give orders, just here it would be used to communicate. For example pressing Q while pointed on an enemy soldier would make him shout a general alert (something like "Jerry infantry ahead!"), pressing Q while reloading would make him shout "cover me while I reload!" etc.

I know that all this would be more work, but IMHO it would seriously improve the game. Please at least consider adding this for later Chapters!

I agree with the first part LuckyOne, but the thing with your first point of pressing Q to spot will make the matter worse. This happens a lot in Project Reality, where by pressing Q, a commo rose pops up and the center option is "Contact" so when you spot an enemy and you click that it says something like "Enemy 12 o'clock" or something like that.

There are many problems with this:
- Who is shouting it?
- Where is the person who's shouting looking at?
- Where and how far is the enemy?
- How many are there?

Many new players in PR do it and it confuses the hell out of everybody.

I was thinking at first that a thing that the character could say or shout is "Reloading" but it also creates the same problems.

Last edited:

Aniallator

Give me a good old commo-rose that keeps me in control of my avatar's voice and I think it's a great feature (of course calls for medic when wounded, dying shouts and similar "reflex" actions should not be controllable). While I do like RO2's quite immersive automatic shouts, I think they can sometimes definitely get in the way of stealthy action. Maybe they could be turned off when the SL orders the fireteam to be stealthy (either manually or automatically - automatically would better in order to avoid scorning and potential arguments between players)?

I don't know if you play PR, but it uses, IMO, a pretty good voice acting system for a realism/teamwork game; no automatic voice acting. Save for I suppose some death shouts, I don't think there should be any form of automatic voice acting, for the reasons stated, and a way to disable automatic voice acting would just be a hassle. I also think the number of things you can say should be limited, and nothing too complex, or players won't be inclined to actually use VOIP. As Flying pointed out, things like "Contact!" or "Reloading!" don't make sense, and spotting in itself isn't good for a realism game.

Seeing as TW will have voice acting, I hope to see it used through a Verdun-style commo rose (not even really a commo rose, but a small menu), as it's faster and simpler than an actual commo rose, and doesn't obscure the center of the screen.

And @FlyingR that's LuckyOne, not litchu ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.