• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Let's talk about the gamemode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mati

Hey guys!

As far as we all know Traction Wars will be a Tactical Teamwork Game set during the WWII. It is a well known fact. However the above statement does not says much about the gamemode which will be implemented into the game. Personally I think it would be awesome to talk about it as a gamemode is an important aspect of each game. It creates a gameplay and it depends if a game is worth to play or not. There are games which have poor gameplay - playing them is just boring, too easy, not enjoyable.

So I would like to get a few words from you developers to get know the Tactical Teamwork Game. Can you spread a few words about the gamemode? I suppose the main task will be taking objectives on maps. It is most common and I think one of best mode in gaming - it gives a lot of fun and requires thinking (BTW. I like deathmatches too but it is just a rush to get as much kills as you can in a certain period of time). Will there be objectives which have to be destroyed? What about teams - will they be divided into squads and team leaders who will be order rest of guys?

It would be nice if some of my questions could be answered by you guys :) Anyway it is not just a question topic as I know there is a space to write questions to devs. If they cannot be answered on public for now - it's OK. I would like to talk with devs and other guys about gamemode. What would you like to see in the gamemode and what not? Let's talk! :)

Pvt_Larry

It would be interesting to see some missions outside of a conventional 'conquest' style game mode, though I understand that this is often challenging to do. Having missions which include more specialized objectives, or even different objectives for different units would be interesting.

For example, when different units were involved historically that could be reflected in the game; the example which is coming to my mind is Operation Market Garden. The different para units would each be assigned a different bridge to secure, while armored units would be tasked with pushing through the bridgehead to secure the final objective. (This is of course an example, I understand that the scope of that campaign would be too great for a map)

On a smaller scope, 'Raid' or 'Insurgency' style missions involving special/irregular forces or partisans could also be interesting; with the attackers having a mission to find and destroy a specific or series of objectives.

Any other ideas though? None of this seems all that ground-breaking to me.

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
I'll try and break it down into sections based on what you asked, [MENTION=2126]Mati[/MENTION]

Well, without revealing too much of planned mechanics or game-modes, you're quite right regarding the statement Tactical Teamwork Game; tactical comes from us wanting the players to maneuver/plan/coordinate advancements on the battlefield, since it's the only effective way of e.g capturing a zone under enemy control (not saying it will be capture points or anything now, so please don't get too excited, haha!). Teamwork because we want the players to work together as a team since we believe you'll be more far more effective (deadly?)that way, just as it would be in real life, right.

Regarding game-modes, I think we've all had our fair share of different modes throughout our gaming experiences. But if you think about what I said above, you can perhaps get a better understanding on where our emphasis would be in terms of core-mechanics; what our game-modes would be like (features) is currently not known for our Community, unfortunately (please don't kill me!).

You can expect to see squads, yes, and again; teamwork! It's really important, so effective squads are squads that can work together as a unit, being via voice-communication, squad-issued commands or whatnot.

Regarding more "specialized" objectives (as a game-mode), it's an interesting thought actually. Perhaps hard at times as it's entirely dependent on the objectives or event, but I don't see why there shouldn't be some specialization regarding what order one take said zones in, just like you said [MENTION=1829]Pvt_Larry[/MENTION]; squad 1 would need to take Zone A, squad 2 would reinforce squad 3 on taking Zone B etc. It's an interesting take on conventional Capture the Zones, a bit forced perhaps, but interesting none the less.

And yes, it's perhaps hard to make ground-breaking game-modes (given the fact we've all seen pretty much all there is) but I strongly believe the key is execution;

* Well-balanced and interesting level; emphasis on clear and varied approaches for a map (less repetitiveness, will make each battle feel "fresh")
* Good and well-executed mechanics; teamwork-oriented systems (e.g command-system), voice-communication, suppression etc.
* Interesting and thought-out game-mode for specific map; team-deathmatch for a huge open map? No good.

If these things are met, immersion would be well preserved because the execution of said things were good(!) Once it's all executed properly, the game-play will feel rewarding when it's suppose to feel rewarding, and leave you gutted when it won't work because the core-mechanic we talked about first didn't work: tactical teamwork

If players fail with the basic (teamwork), they'll feel like they've failed. If you started wonder about by your own away from your team, you will be punished because you're now less effective being a lone-wolf, being e.g more easily punished by suppression or whatnot.

If it makes sense, haha!

I'm interested in hearing if this made any sense, guys!

Maniche

While I'm no expert, i think that its best to take a good look at a franchise like ARMA for inspiration. I think its less about squads and objectives (yes, those are important) and more about how the game and its systems are designed. I think the brutality of ARMA makes it virtually impossible to go it alone - mission success requires unit cohesion and organization. That may be one of the reasons we see so many tactically driven units and scenarios.

I really do hope that TW can capture that same element and take us back to WW2. I want to feel the excitement and thrill i experienced playing DoD 1.3b and the SP campaign of MOH:AA!

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
I'd love to see some objective based, or "hold the line" missions. Maybe even capture the prisoner / raid for documents / protect the convoy / ambush ... Anything to get out of the usual conquest/team deathmatch approach we almost always see in WWII online shooters...

Also some way to simulate surprise attacks would also be nice. If a mission was a success due to the fact that the enemy was unprepared it would be nice for them to example to spawn with just a knife or sidearm and have to run to the armory / weapon locker to get guns. Of course such thing would be a bit harder to pull out in a game, and you would eventually have to enable spawning with full kit after a set time / objective taken.

Immersion should be the key. And I'd like to see immersion in many things, not just "look and feel" of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.