• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Machine Guns and Bipods

Status
Not open for further replies.

VonMudra

Believe me, I have spent years trying to figure out how the hell to make loading fun. Your ideas are about as far as I've gotten, and still run into the issue of people just not caring. The average player isn't like us, I would actually ENJOY doing that part of a gun crew, but the average player just want's to use their own gun. Runs into the same problem as the medic, it forms an extremely niche class that only a very few would enjoy. Now, giving the whole squad some ammo carrying support, where they can run over and give more ammo, I can see that. Most squads in WW2 carried ammo for their MG (british riflemen filled their right ammo pouch with 3 bren mags, and German squads had every man carrying belts of ammo over their neck and at least one box of ammo). So you could set it up with a MG only carrying the ammo they would normally have, but squad members could run by and drop more ammo to him.

Last edited:

Moody

I like that. Make it so that one squad has the MG embedded with them, and every member of the squad has one mag/belt to give the gunner.

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
I agree with Moody, as a compromise seems to be in order to encourage people to play as a team - having the possibility to play as a two-man team on the MG can decrease the chance of e.g jamming, make reloading a bit faster and let the MG have less recoil (all valid points there, Moody!).

And to be honest, it's all actually pretty realistic!

And yes, Mudra, letting the other team-members carry some additional ammonution for the MG would be ideal, and I believe it could encourage for more team-work. Good talk!

Maniche

I don't have much experience in Realism, but i believe the British troopers used to be in 5-7 squads and like 2 of them had brens face up an MG-42 team.

Every time the Bren gunner dies the others jump on it and keep supressing fire.
Having a Good HMG-Bren team is one hella deadly thing!

Also, There's the Vickers, Somehow the MG-42's equivalent, probably worse in firepower/supressing power?

Cordialement,
Squirrel

VonMudra

Brit squad would be about 12 guys. Originally only 1 Bren, but eventually started using 2 in order to help compensate for the firepower deficiency against the MG42. It didn't equalize, but it def made them a lot better off than american squads.

And yep, the Bren gun was the life of the squad. If you died on it, someone else was to jump on it immediately. Like I posted somewhere on this thread, there's one account of an entire squad save one man dying to save the bren gun.

As for vickers, it would be the equivalent of the german lafette mounted MG42, trading rate of fire for the ability to fire continuously (watercooled means you can hold down the trigger as long as you have a belt feeding through).

Nate

If the game were to have the vickers would it have one soldier carrying the actual mg and another team member carrying the tripod (or whatever mount was used) that would be pretty cool. I obviously have no idea about the use of the vickers but if someone were to shed some light on whether or not it would fit in the game's time and place then that would be choss

Last edited:

VonMudra

Vickers is indeed something that will be ingame, it was the standard MMG of the British army through the Korean War. As for multiple people carrying, again, it comes down to "do you really want to just carry a massive chunk of metal around.) It is much cleaner for play by just having one person represent the gun crew, which would generally be 4-5 people for a MMG (Gunner, loader, ammo bearer, water/ammo bearer, commander).

Nate

I wasnt thinkin of someone just carrying the tripod as their job it would just be on their back and if they died someone else could just pick it up for him. But that brings up more problems than its worth especially with getting the tripod guy to set it up in the right place. Plus I can forsee a lone MMG gunner crying out to passing teammates to pick up the tripod so he can move up too. sadly nobody comes to help...

If i remember right, Company of Heroes work like that, the MG gunner just pack his tripod and carries the thing on his shoulder, others just watching around and avoiding snipers.

I wish the MG's have the same supressing fire as in ArmA 2
Having 2 vickers pinning your Poubelle-wagen to **** (Trash-wagen in french)
I am, Personally, going to be playing those kind of roles, just for the fun of helping a guy spraying the hell outta people.
I don't feel like being the center of attention of those that aren't getting shot at.

Also, i believe the bren has a 20/30 Rounds clip? That is not much, in fact, it's almost a more accurate thompson!

Cordialement,
Your friendly little Squirrel

VonMudra

Believe me, the vickers will be awesome at suppression, mostly because of it's ability to just keep firing without break apart from reloads xD German lafette mounts will however have major accuracy advantages with the recoil mechanism in the tripod, plus it's 1.5 zoom scope, and of course the assload of rounds each burst puts out. :p

And yesh, Bren is a 30 round clip, and will prob be less accurate ingame than it is in real life. The reason being, in real life, it was so accurate that gunners purposefully switched to worn out barrels in order to get some sort of inaccuracy. They were having trouble because bursts at a group of guys would only drop the one they aimed at, and the others would be fine x3

so accurate that gunners purposefully switched to worn out barrels
What the Bloody Hell!!
Why wasn't it equiped with a Sniper scope then ! Haha
Nice to know!

While i'm here; Will there be any Settable Bipods ?

For the Qu... Wait what?!
-Squirrel

Status
Not open for further replies.