• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Medal I found

Status
Not open for further replies.

MausRatte

I recently found a medal in an old fellow's attic that moved out (We obtained the house cause my Sister is moving in there) and I wanted to know what it was. I'm trying to get a picture from my Brother in law who has it at the moment, but it looks like this:

Except it is a medal. Most of the time when I look up Wehrmacht Medal it is that but has a ribbon and swastika, but the medal I found is more of a pin/button thing that has that insignia on it. I'd like to know what it is.

This is also what it looks like:

VonMudra

Without the ribbon, pin in back, it is an Iron Cross First Class. Awarded for multiple acts of bravery or command excellence. It is roughly the German equivalent of the US Silver Star, and was worn on the breast pocket. It came with a variety of back styles (pin, latch, screw with washer) to affix it to the tunic, and some troops, especially air crew and tank crew, wore embroidered versions of them so that it couldn't catch on the cockpit/hatch if they had to bail out.

Iron Cross 1st Class

Here's more info on it for you to read through.

Status
Not open for further replies.