• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Medic System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flare

Vanguard Backer
So a bunch of us on discord were discussing medic systems and I wrote up a short document on how it could work. I think it's a good compromise between fun gameplay and realism. It should encourage medics to revive and should also not be frustrating for the medics or the player waiting to be revived. The system will also let every player do a little bit of first aid to help out their buddy, but the medic is still very relevant. It is kind of like Squad's or PR's system but a bit more complex to add more depth to the system. I think in Squad and PR it is a bit too simple.

The medic would have this equipment:

Morphine syrettes (limited, but are only used up if you successfully “hit” the patient with the shot, to prevent annoying losses of shots if you miss) these are used to revive unconscious teammates as long as they haven’t been shot in the head or heart. Perhaps these would also have to be used if a teammate was not yet unconscious but below 10% health and “black and white”.

Field Dressings: limited, using one of these on the affected area (arms, chest, or legs) will stop bleeding on that area.

First aid kit: Will restore health. Only works when player is not bleeding. Can right click to heal yourself but takes 2x as long.

In addition, all players will have one morphine syrette and one bandage that they can use on themself or on another player. They could help stabilise players before a medic can fully heal them, or if the medic goes down they could still do something.

All players can also drag wounded players to safety.

To revive someone fully unconscious:

Bandage player to stop bleeding. This will prevent the player’s health from dropping once the morphine is given and then needing a second morphine.
Use morphine syrette. This gives control back to the player but they are now at 10% health and not losing health by bleeding.
Use first aid kit to restore health. 20-30s seems like a good time to go from 10% to 100% health.

There are many comments and discussion on this document, everyone is free to go on and make some comments, just pick a colour and write your name beside it.

Document: TW medic system proposition: - Google Docs

Hope you guys give this a read, a good medic system is one of my biggest wishes for TW.

Note that I haven't discussed the rest of the medic kit, for instance if it should get a pistol or a rifle. (I vote for rifle but pistol would do if we insist on more realism.)

Flare

Aniallator

To revive someone fully unconscious:

Bandage player to stop bleeding. This will prevent the player’s health from dropping once the morphine is given and then needing a second morphine.
Use morphine syrette. This gives control back to the player but they are now at 10% health and not losing health by bleeding.
Use first aid kit to restore health. 20-30s seems like a good time to go from 10% to 100% health.

I really like the sound of this! I've always liked PR/Squad's system but felt it was just slightly too simple, this is an excellent compromise.

Flare

Vanguard Backer
I really like the sound of this! I've always liked PR/Squad's system but felt it was just slightly too simple, this is an excellent compromise.

That was my goal in writing this up. I like the system in PR and squad but I do think that it is a bit too fast and too easy. With this system you'd have to bandage on the body part that got hit, then use the syrette, then heal up. The healing would also be about twice as slow as PR or Squad which take about 15 seconds to fully heal.

I also wanted to make it a bit more realistic. In first aid classes they teach you to stop the bleeding first, then try and resuscitate. In PR all you do is stab an epipen, in Squad all you do is bandage. They're each missing a step!

Zainab

Medic! We need medic ! :p
Sure , that would be awesome when our leader leading the team would call like that. By the way , would there be leader leading team and how?

FlyingR

Medic! We need medic ! :p
Sure , that would be awesome when our leader leading the team would call like that. By the way , would there be leader leading team and how?

There will be a Section Leader! Just like in PR/Squad and so on.
I can't wait to hear the cries of "Medic, medic!", that will be fun! Right [MENTION=2870]agus92[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4097]Flare[/MENTION]? :laugh:

Flare

Vanguard Backer
Now I do note that I have not addressed one of the more controversial topics about medics: Do they get a weapon?

Personally, I think yes, they should get a weapon. Medic should be fun to play, and I think it's worth having this inaccuracy for some gameplay. I probably wouldn't enjoy playing an unarmed medic nearly as much as a medic with a rifle or at least a pistol.

agus92

[MENTION=2433]FlyingR[/MENTION] Being medic on Project Reality and Squad. - Imgur

IMO medics should indeed use guns, for two main reasons:

- Encourage the role
- Medics in these games are squad based instead of company based like irl (correct me Mighty Dragon if I'm wrong), and therefore negating guns to medics would remove 1/8 of the firepower of the squad compared with real life. That is something to consider specially because the amount of players per map is going to be very small at the beginning.

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
Really interesting discussion here guys, definitely reading through all this. It is definitely a challenge in planning a system that is rewarding and fun to play, as well as serving a historical purpose. Should probably mention though that medics are not in currently in our plans for the initial release, nothing to the degree mentioned here at least. Something for the future though!

agus92

Appreciate it calgoblin.

I'll be honest, I think not including initially a medic system is a great mistake. It doesn't need to be convoluted, what Flare and the rest suggested would be a nice end goal, but a simple placeholder system would be fine to begin with. But straight up ignoring the class removes the main reason why a bunch of random people that don't know each other decide to play together as a squad: the bonus of being healed/revived is too big to pass on, even for people who aren't inclined to play as a group. From my experience, a medic system is key to avoid the full team lone-wolfing.

FlyingR

Really interesting discussion here guys, definitely reading through all this. It is definitely a challenge in planning a system that is rewarding and fun to play, as well as serving a historical purpose. Should probably mention though that medics are not in currently in our plans for the initial release, nothing to the degree mentioned here at least. Something for the future though!

Yes, we understand, and for me at least, it's not a big problem, especially since there isn't going to be a lot of players in the first Chapter (32 players in total) and there are currently more important things to fix or implement, I suppose. Once the number of players start to rise though, the Medic will sure be a game changer (gameplay wise). The Medic role truly does bring more fluidity to the game, t keeps the momentum of the game going so that the player, the squad and the team can keep playing for a longer period of time (rather than respawning each time you die).

As for the role of the Medic, I really want you guys to know that a lot of people are willing to play medic, mortars, bringing supplies and/or other tedious roles for that matter. These tedious/boring roles are very rewarding because indirectly or not, you seriously help your team and keep the your team and the game alive. There are people that enjoy playing those (including myself, Agus, and Flare) so I don't worry about it, I'm sure you guys will find an excellent way to compromise (this word has been used a lot here lately :p ) about implementing the Medic role into the game so I'm definitely not worried about this.

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
I'll be honest, I think not including initially a medic system is a great mistake.

It's not that we don't want to, more a matter of resources. It was something we put on hold in our plans to streamline the first release so that we were able to actually to release something in a reasonable timeframe. Something we want to return to.

agus92

I completely understand it, it is what I read between lines after all.

I understand that after such a long development time you are eager to release. But frankly, I think a medic system, for rudimentary it may be, is very well worth it to postpone the game, since from my experience, only the combination of a squad, a communication and a medic systems impede that public online matches in FPS turn into anarchy.

To put it more bluntly, I'd rather have 100 glitches/bugs before not having a medic system, because the glitches can be fixed, but the bad player habits can't.

Flare

Vanguard Backer
Appreciate it calgoblin.

I'll be honest, I think not including initially a medic system is a great mistake. It doesn't need to be convoluted, what Flare and the rest suggested would be a nice end goal, but a simple placeholder system would be fine to begin with. But straight up ignoring the class removes the main reason why a bunch of random people that don't know each other decide to play together as a squad: the bonus of being healed/revived is too big to pass on, even for people who aren't inclined to play as a group. From my experience, a medic system is key to avoid the full team lone-wolfing.

Agreed 100%.

Look at how many people play together in FH2, or in RO2. Everything else in those games could lead to a pretty darn good squad-based play style, but no one does because there's fast respawns and no chance to get revived...
[MENTION=376]calgoblin[/MENTION], I'm interested in hearing more about what you mean by "nothing to the degree mentioned here at least". Does that mean that there will at least be some sort of medic system at launch? At least a way to maybe patch up bleeding on someone else or yourself?

FlyingR

[MENTION=376]calgoblin[/MENTION], I'm interested in hearing more about what you mean by "nothing to the degree mentioned here at least". Does that mean that there will at least be some sort of medic system at launch? At least a way to maybe patch up bleeding on someone else or yourself?

Guys remember that the first version/release will be for the Devs only and it's for more testing. They will probably not have a medic system then or at most it would be a rustic and simple medic system. They first have to see what the final gameplay will be like because if it's going to be like RO2 or FH2, then it won't be needed (do note that in FH2 there's a shitty pickup medic system).

BUT, once the game is released and the Devs decide that it's going to be like PR or similar, then I completely agree with Agus and Flare here. Medic system will be very important to keep the gameplay relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.